What Are Eurogames?

https://pixabay.com/en/board-game-play-strategy-fun-933165/
@AliCanary (1781)
One of the things I love to do is play board games. I grew up playing games like Parcheesi, Aggravation, and Monopoly with my family, and over the last several years, I have also learned of the existence of "Eurogames", which are European-style board games that are very heavy on strategy and not just roll-and-move games, like the kind I used to play as a kid. Eurogames are probably quite well-known in Europe, I imagine, but were not so familiar to Americans. However, they are making inroads quickly. Many Americans have heard of or played Settlers of Catan, and you can buy it, as well as Ticket to Ride, another great introductory game, at WalMart. Once you get seriously into Eurogames, you will find yourself playing heavier fare, such as Lisboa, Terraforming Mars, Navegador, and Agricola. These games all have a lot going on and can take several hours to play. Agricola was the game that Rachel played with Scott on the television show Orphan Black. It has 14 rounds! I learned about Eurogames by joining a local gaming group that plays them. I discovered the gaming group through meetup.com, which is a great way to find local people who are into the same things you're into. Now Eurogames are a great enthusiasm of mine!
I have never heard of Eurogames, but it is good that so many people really like these games.
@AliCanary (1781)
I've made so many very good friends from this group--I will be eternally thankful for finding it! Meetup is a great site.
@LeaPea2417 (19198)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I have never heard of Eurogames. They sound fun. Thanks for mentioning it.
@AliCanary (1781)
I like to tell people about them because it opened up a brand new world of fun for me, and it might for someone else, too!
@LeaPea2417 (19198)
• Toccoa, Georgia
We've been introduced to many of the simpler ones by our son in Ireland. We had great fun playing them while over there and we've since purchased Ticket to Ride. I doubt we'd get into the heavier ones though I can understand the attraction for others.
@AliCanary (1781)
Ticket to Ride is a fun family game. It's a nice, straightforward, light-strategy game for people who are just starting with Eurogames, but it has lasting playability. We still play it!
I've never even heard of them. Then again, I don't even remember the last time I played a board game.
@AliCanary (1781)
Well, I like my nerdy folks, you see. :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I had never heard of Eurogames. But I did grow up playing Monopoly. How much would you sell me St. James for if it gives me a monopoly on the oranges?
@AliCanary (1781)
I wouldn't sell, I would demand a trade!
I do not plat board games all that often since we moved away from the grandchildren. I think Eurogames would be challenging.
@AliCanary (1781)
Some of them are very challenging indeed, but some of them are quite easy and don't take very long. Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride are both very easy to learn and don't take too long.
@prashu228 (25814)
Good information. I did not know about this before
@cahaya1983 (10060)
That's new to me. I grew up playing Monopoly, Cluedo and The Game of Life.