What can you say on this day after mass murder?

Eugene, Oregon
About sixty people dead, over 500 injured, a wealthy white male with 35 or so guns and even explosives at his house. His baffled brother said that the shooter liked to take cruises, liked high stakes gambling, sent his mom crazy elaborate cookies. Then why? Why murder so many innocent people? Will we ever have an answer to that question? Another question too: Isn't it odd that the shooter in these mass murders in the US is (almost) always a white male? My heart goes out to the wounded, the children, mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters and friends of theirs as well. Jimmy Carter got in trouble for saying we have a "sick society" when he was president. I think we are even sicker now and it is a very sad day in America.
Well I can say it is sad James. And that I do not believe it is going to change for the good but get worse..a sobering thought. I will be off to bed soon..tires me out all this. RIP to all those murdered and healing to the injured.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, RIP indeed. I wonder how much worse it can get? The US is still Number 1 in mass murders by one shooter.
@JamesHxstatic It is horrifying to think how much worse it can get James to good people like you and me. I wish you blessings and safety for you and your family always James.
• Eugene, Oregon
@TiarasOceanView Thank you! I wish the same for you! My daughter will be in Vegas in late November for work (a few days for a trade show).
how dild this horrible man get automatic weapons in the frst place why do we not make it impossible for lunatics to be able to buy those weapons?
@dogsnme (1266)
He didn't have automatic weapons.
• Eugene, Oregon
@dogsnme He may as well have with a device that makes a rifle one fire faster a human can. I hope they outlaw such utterly stupid devices.
We will never know why.
• Eugene, Oregon
I'm afraid you are right, more's the pity.
@dodoazo (20306)
Not only today that the world is "sick" since time immemorial, the world was plagued with killings, murderings of mass of people. There's no time or era that the world is at peace. Believe me or not, deep within us, we have the feeling of discordant, the feeling going against the norms. In short there's an opposition in everything. Do you get what I mean? It's Christmas seasons by and by, let there peace and goodwill towards me. Peace be with you.
• Eugene, Oregon
With the weapons available today to the public, mass murder can be committed by one person like this mad man. Never in history have we had that capability. Peace would be good, Christmas or not, but in your country as well as mine, peace is fleeting and hard to find.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't think they're always white males. The crazy ones (mass shooters) vary. That older guy and his young protege who shot people out of the trunk of their car were black. The kid who shot up one campus (was it Virginia Tech?) was Asian. Chris Harper Mercer, who shot up a Community College in Oregon, looks multi-racial. The genes that code for mental illness don't care about the genes that code for physical appearance.
• Eugene, Oregon
Still the big majority (54%), 16% by black men (per Newsweek). Even better is this graph (1982 -2017)
Who commits the most mass shootings? This statistic shows the number of mass shootings by race in the U.S. 1982-2017. Between 1982 and July 2017, 50 out of 90 mass shootings were initiated by White shooters.
@JamesHxstatic One wonders why Trump says such ugly things about immigrants when the white males he loves so much are tops when it comes to such shooting sprees.
• Eugene, Oregon
@MALUSE Yes, it exposes his deep prejudice, I think.
@BarBaraPrz (20134)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
A sick society with a sick president... But that doesn't explain the guy in Edmonton who ran down a traffic cop, got out of his vehicle, stabbed the cop several times, fled, stole a UHaul van and ran down a whole bunch of other people.
A Edmonton police officer was stabbed Saturday evening near Commonwealth Stadium and four pedestrians injured by a fleeing truck in what police are investigating as an act of terrorism.
• Eugene, Oregon
No, that is another kind of sick animal.
@BarBaraPrz (20134)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@JamesHxstatic Yes, it is.
The only thing I can say besides crying for the victims is BAN WEAPONS!
• Eugene, Oregon
In the United States? It will never happen and it makes me sick that it never will.
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
People never like to hear the truth spoken bluntly, but you're right, as Carter was. The problem is that the actions of the so-called "sick" infect the rest of us like a plague. And it takes a strong person nowadays to swim against the tide. I'd glad that I'm at the end, rather than the beginning, of my life. Not sure how much more I can take of this. This is not the world I was born into. I don't know this place anymore.
• Eugene, Oregon
My wife and I often say how challenging it would be to be young today.
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
@JamesHxstatic My mother, God rest her soul, often said, "I wouldn't want to be starting over and having to bring up kids in this world. I wouldn't know what to tell them."
• Eugene, Oregon
@Raelove I only have one, age 29 now, and I hope that she does not have any children.
I was just looking for updates on CNN.com, but didn't see anything that jumped out at me.
• Eugene, Oregon
NPR reported that he had ten rolling suitcases in his rooms, must have been how he got that ungodly supply of arms and ammo in. He could have wheeled them in himself after checking in days before.
@JamesHxstatic - More than likely. Nobody would have looked twice.
• Eugene, Oregon
@teamfreak16 Yep, and no metal detectors, except maybe at Wynn hotels.
It's a sad and, scary world. I hope measures will be put in place to prevent these things from happening.
• Eugene, Oregon
So do I. Not sure they can be though.
• Eugene, Oregon
@TRBRocks420 They can check in then go out and bring in their own big roller suit cases, no metal detectors or anything.
I agree this is a very, very sad day for your country.
• Eugene, Oregon
And yet, nothing will change. I read that Australia made a major change after a mass shooting in 1996?
@rhpinc (1332)
• Santa Barbara, California
I agree with you, my heart also goes out to all of them :)
• Eugene, Oregon
Such a sad thing for so many people.
@rhpinc (1332)
• Santa Barbara, California
@JamesHxstatic Yes and I hate the false flags that are being used to take advantage of the people with this sad sad event :(
@kiran8 (15354)
• Mangalore, India
Goes to show how an evil person can so easily hoodwink security and authorities to carry out such a deadly act. Here in Kashmir it has become a daily affair by the terror groups to kill soldiers and civilians .. honestly you begin to hate life and mankind when you see innocent people being murdered for no rhyme or reason.
• Eugene, Oregon
Truly, it is a crazy world!
I am sad about this, the world has been ugly lately, every day it is something.
• Eugene, Oregon
It surely is, each day brings an unpleasant surprise.
There is not much to say. We need to be aware of odd behavior in those around us, but even so, his family never even suspected. Did I hear mention a female companion?
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, his live-in, who is out of the country they say, in the Philippines. With all those arms and explosives in his house, she had to know something was up. He took ten rolling suitcases up to the two rooms he rented.
@JESSY3236 (6753)
It's terrible. I went to Las Vegas last year. But I stayed in Rita Suites, not the same hotel as the shooting.
• Eugene, Oregon
My daughter will be there in November on business, at a different hotel, I hope.
@Bluedoll (17063)
In this shooting whether the shooter is black, brown, yellow or red doesn't shock me as much as how he was a grandfather, wealthy with lots of free time for gambling. People have so much and still they are unhappy?
• Eugene, Oregon
It makes no sense at all, but US mass shooters all seem to be white males.
@peavey (16821)
It almost leaves on speechless. Such pure evil and so many hurting people.
• Eugene, Oregon
Exactly. Crazy stuff!
I'm sorry to hear that sad news. Not normal doings for normal people. RIP to those who are murdered.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, RIP to the innocent victims of this killer. Thanks!
@Platespinner (16782)
It's horrific.
• Eugene, Oregon
For sure it is.