Japan accepts 3 refugees out of 8,561 asylum applications

@sol_cee (13566)
Japan
And I’m half and half on this. Realistically speaking, non-Japanese speaking refugees might find it hard to perform basic functions here and survive. In fact, even foreigners who have been here for a decade and can speak the language still have those issues. On the other hand, I understand the cautiousness of the government but I think it is ridiculous that only 3 out of the total number of applicants fit the criteria to be recognized as refugees. Of course these people can go to other more progressive countries which are far better than the isolated island nation of Japan which wants to stay that way. I just hope they find a place where they will be accepted as humans.
Australia's record isn't much better although I think we'd accept more than 3. We have a very inhumane policy as regards refugees.
@yugocean (4479)
Good policy now as per importance.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
@JudyEv Japan accepted 21 refugees last year.
@sol_cee I'm not sure how many we take now but it is not many compared to some other nations.
We have a serious problem here in Europe right now with refugees. Thousands enter through Italy illegally every day, it's hard to know who are real "refugees" and who are only illegal workers who try to profit of a situation.
• Japan
How is it that Italy is the entering place? It's not like it borders on much but water on three sides.
@yugocean (4479)
Anna perhaps you mean African refugees through Italy.
@petatonicsca They come with boats from the northern coasts of Africa and the EU obliges Italy to receive all the refugees who land there. It's a nightmare right now in Italy, they are everywhere, they do not respect women, they steal, they are violent.
• Japan
Yes, I am a bit embarrassed for my country that they don't take much responsibility for refugees, but then again, it is hard for foreigners to fit in. Even seventh-generation Koreans find it hard.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
I can never differentiate Koreans from Japanese. ;)
@thelme55 (11777)
How I wish this happens in Germany, too. We have plenty of asylum applicants now from Syria. Many crimes have been committed to women since Chancellor Merkel allowed plenty of refugees coming to Germany.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
I heard about that in the news. Same with Canada?
@thelme55 (11777)
@sol_cee maybe more than Canada.
It is sad that there are so many refugees and they do need a place to go to.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
How painful it must be to unwanted. :(
• Lakewood, Colorado
You are kind to look at it this way Sherlocked - san. However, I am inclined to support Japan´s view at this time.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Hi Tiara-san. I came to know one asylum seeker who’s a victim of Boko Haram. He’s a teacher in his country but was forced to work illegally in construction here when his application was denied. Sadly he was deported.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@sol_cee Yes there are cases, like the one you mentioned, where the person genuinely needs help. Understood. Boko Haram are the evil of the world. So sorry to hear fo this teacher being deported back.
@nangayo (2287)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I wonder how they selected these three. What did they have that the others did not have?
Exactly the same thing I was wondering about.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
A battery of tests, hundreds of specialists, a thick book of guidelines. My guess.
@ilocosboy (33256)
I think they will always be accepted as huumans. It may hard to cope the situation but at least they are accepted.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
On the contrary, not all refugees have a happy ever after.
@ilocosboy (33256)
@sol_cee they have the trauma experience so it will never be a happy ever, but at least they can feel someone is caring and helping them.
@kepweng (6287)
where these refugess came from??
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Nigeria, Syria, and many other countries with conflicts, war, hunger, and more.
@kepweng (6287)
@sol_cee wow its too Far away i thought they only go in europe you mean they ride a boat going in japan???
@acelawrites (10750)
There are so many refugees around the world. I hope the situation would change where they do have to flee from their countries.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Indeed. If they don’t have to, they won’t flee at all.
@YrNemo (8432)
One of my acquaintances after waiting for almost two decades, decided to migrate to the US instead.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Waiting for what Darcy-san?
@YrNemo (8432)
@sol_cee to get a Japanese citizenship.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
@YrNemo two decades! Wow.
@yugocean (4479)
So what, Japan Govt have to take care of their country first, and not refugee lovers. If I have been in the decision making, I too have did the bect that only real needy allowed, and that too will work for the country.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Are you angry?
@yugocean (4479)
@sol_cee Terrorists are entering in India as refugees, and they got support from criminals and even religion based political outfits.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
@yugocean I see. I'm sorry to hear that what could have been one way to help refugees has been used in a bad way.
@FayeHazel (11533)
Wow, that's a low number. I see it like you. It may not be the best place if people don't know the language which I hear is hard to learn. But 3 out of over 8,000 still seems low.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Last year was 21.
@FayeHazel (11533)
@sol_cee Wow 21 total for the year huh?
@1hopefulman (20187)
Yes, I think Japan does not welcome or want refugees. While Canada, welcomes many each year. I can meet people from almost every country in the world, right here where I live.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
@1hopefulman (20187)
@sol_cee It's a good ting as I am an immigrant myself and appreciate living here. I like the large variety of people we can see and meet and get to know.
@responsiveme (14417)
That sounds like a pretty small figure. Here there is always talk of illegal immigrants...Because borders are porous
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Illegal immigrants from where?
@sol_cee bordering countries
@bluesa (12681)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
How strange to only accept 3. I don't know what is going on in government's minds lately @sol_cee . I hope the refugees who were not accepted find somewhere that they will be.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
My thoughts exactly Catherine-san. There are real victims who need help.
@bluesa (12681)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@sol_cee very true. Let's hope they get help.
@ridingbet (37813)
sad.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Yes, doc. Sad.
@tzwrites (3791)
That's a very low number of people to accept. Yet, they are not blamed for this. If other countries reject so many applicants everyone goes crazy and calls them out.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
Countries rejecting and accepting a huge number of asylum seekers are both called out.
@Srbageldog (5384)
It is sad but unfortunately countries must take precautions to protect their own citizens. Too many people with evil intentions are sneaking in with the refugees around the world. It makes me sad for the people who actually are in dire need of help, but I don't know what we can do to remedy this situation.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
A persistent problem Stacy-san.
same thing here, if you do not speak English it would be hard to find work and live.
@sol_cee (13566)
• Japan
I always think English is easier because everyone (maybe) can read the alphabet. But Japan has three different writing systems.