September 2017 Review

@FayeHazel (19112)
It's time for my monthly recap that helps keep me on track (ooo that rhymes!) -- My Sept. 2017 review.  Goal-wise Sept. went pretty well.   Goals Books - I read/listened to 8 books/audiobooks.  (Alright, 7 of them were audiobooks) - 8 x month is my goal. The ones that stand out this month were: "By Hook or By Crook" -Hetchetman  alright, so the story here didn't really grab me.  But the concept did.  A woman's crochet club solves an old mystery that has crochet clues.  "Pray for Silence"  and "Breaking Silence" - Castillo - I think these are  #3 and #4 in the Kate Burkholder series.  The series deals with murders and crimes that happen to the Amish community.  It does not disappoint, active mysteries involving the Amish.  And the book written by Lionel Dahmer.  Yes.  That Dahmer.  The dad of serial killer Jeffery Dahmer wrote a book.  It was heartwrenching and quite open and honest as Lionel explored his own grief over the evil his son did and was quite open about his own short comings.  It really made me more understanding --  in any act where there are victims (such as the Las Vegas shooting) -- there are more victims than only those hurt ...  there is also the family of the one perpetrating the crime.  Exercise As for exercise I try to hold myself to hitting 12 days out of the month where I'm either active for a half hour or walk at least 10,000 steps in the day.  Well, this month I fell a bit short, getting in 7 "goal" days, but 7 is better than none.  I got lazy by driving more often to the grocery store and garden rather than walking.  I will try to walk more this month seeing as come winter I won't have a choice but to drive.  Money I did not use my credit card(s) and I had some money left at the end of each week.  Go me! (On a 3 month roll now!) Recipes It's my goal to try at least 2 new recipes each month.  In Sept. I did 9 new recipes!   Go me!  Lasagna roll-ups, Turkey rice hotdish and Bbq chicken hotdish were so-so.  Sweet tart cucumber salad, peach pie, chili lime fish, tomato soup (homemade), tomato dumpling soup, beef Italian wedding soup - these were all fantastic.   Particularly challenging was preparing the fish, something I haven't done before.  General In other news Sept. was at times difficult.  My mom's favorite cousin passed away.  Even though I didn't know him well, it really affected me.  I think that was probably the biggest blow.  I had some car issues, and while it's fixed for now by adding a little brake fluid, it does appear that the level of fluid goes down a bit periodically so it may mean that I have a leak somewhere.  A little extra worry.  Dad gave me a scare in the early part of the month.  But Sept. was also productive and fun at times.   Canning with mom, preparing for Riverssance, hanging out with friends, going out dancing,  all of these things helped make Sept. fun too.  Thank you for reading.   How was your Sept.?  And how is your Oct. shaping up? Photo: Mine
What an awesome month you have had..yes GO YOU!! So sorry to hear of your Dad giving you a scare and the passing of your cousin RIP. Sept was good for me as far as one goal that I had been working on for about 10 yrs or more even. I finally finished it and am now just tying up other loose ends. I hope this month will be fab for you..please take care in that car, I do worry about you Faye.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Thanks for the kind thoughts, dear. :-) Wow! That 10 year goal being done is awesome! Good for you! If you want to share I'd love to hear it. (If not no pressure) But either way I am thrilled for you. :-) Thanks for caring, that's so sweet, means the world to me.
@FayeHazel Welcome Faye
@bluesa (14319)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
That does sound like a pretty balanced month, though again, sorry about your Moms favourite cousin and that your Dad gave you a scare. Way to go on the credit card(s) and all the other goals you achieved. Watch the car issue, I hope you can get it fixed. September is a blur and insomnia and my October is starting off the same way, but, I have fudge and a loving family and I will work from there.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Aw thanks dear. :-( Mom seems to be taking it a bit better now. Thanks -- car repair is never fun, but needed. I hope you get some help with that insomnia. Is there a medication you can have? Fudge, fudge is always a good thing
@bluesa (14319)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@FayeHazel , yes I am trying a half a sleeping pill at night now to see if I can get a sleep pattern going. Yeah, fudge is always a good thing. :)
@FayeHazel (19112)
@bluesa I think you're wise to start with a half. I hope it helps
I think you've done really well. Go you!! And I agree about the families of some criminals being victims too. Some must have a really tough time coming to terms with whatever crime was committed.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with my goals, all around. It's funny, but I hadn't really considered it the family of the perpetrator before. Makes sense though - they have to life with stigma and with their loved one either being in jail or not being with them anymore. How horrible. :-(
My September was a pretty good one too, here is to an even better October.
@FayeHazel (19112)
I love it - even better October! :-)
You had a pretty good month. My September was pretty good. I find out tomorrow how I did the last 30 days with my weight loss goals. I just finished uploading Scarred again for publishing, so that should be ready soon. Tomorrow I'm going to get Freedom's Cry uploaded for publishing. I'll also start on the third month on Whole30 weight loss diet plan.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Oh wow, it's been 3 months already on the whole 30? I will hope that the weigh in and uploading goes well :-)
@FayeHazel Two months. I'm starting the third month tomorrow. The book uploading is going well so far. I have Scarred taken care of. Now I just need to do Freedom's Cry, and I'll do that today.
@FayeHazel (19112)
@just4him Oh wow! 2 months in! Here's to continuing success
Hope your dad is doing well now. That book by Lionel Dahmer does interest me. Will have to check it out.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Thanks! He does seem better now. Oh by all means -- let me know what you think of the Dahmer book if you read it. I was weirdly fascinated. I commend Lionel for being up front about his shortcomings, and for what it's worth - I feel bad for him - that his son needed to do those evil things. I forget the title offhand
@FayeHazel I am weirdly fascinated too. Just cannot fathom how a person becomes so damaged. I can remember Richard Speck being on the loose in Chicago after he killed the student nurses. I was babysitting at time in my Chicago suburb, and I was watching the news on TV. I called my dad to come and stay with me until the parents of the kids returned. I also remember the news footage of authorities digging under John Wayne Gacy's home, in a Chicago suburb 25 miles from mine, for all the bodies he buried there. Just in awe of how someone can do those things.
@FayeHazel (19112)
@Corbin5 I hadn't heard of Richard Speck - but how scary to kknow he was on the loose in your area. You made the right choice to call your dad. How sad. And Gacy - to think - he used to dress up and play a clown. His sister still loved him - never saw the bad part of him. Dahmer fascinates me currently -- he didn't look like a monster - instead he looked like a choir boy. He was soft spoken and took full responsibility for his actions. Makes me wonder why he couldn't stop himself. Sad indeed.
Doesnt sound like that bad of a month. Happy for you.
@FayeHazel (19112)
A little tense, little sad, overall not bad though
@FayeHazel yeah thats good
@kepweng (17784)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
hope you well do All your routine and nice house is that your home?
@FayeHazel (19112)
Thank you! I wish that were my place - no just a barn I saw along the way that I thought was pretty
@ridingbet (57899)
i like and enjoyed reading the recap of your September. mine was just the ordinary month; ah yes, the business of my brother.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Thanks! Nothing wrong with ordinary
Sounds like you did quite well. Good job!
@FayeHazel (19112)
Thanks! Upward and onward! :-)
@responsiveme (16835)
That sounds very positive on the whole ...You did meet up most of your goals.the last 10 days were certainly fun for me being spent visiting family and friends
@FayeHazel (19112)
Oh nice! I'm happy you got to visit family