An odd thing about that Las Vegas shooter's father

Eugene, Oregon
You may have read that the father of Las Vegas shooter, Stephen Paddock, was a convicted bank robber and had been on the FBI's ten most wanted list. The odd part to me is that Benjamin, the father, was serving time in a Texas federal prison, escaped and settled in Springfield, Oregon under the assumed name Bruce Ericksen. He operated the first bingo parlor in Oregon in 1977. I remember seeing that rather seedy looking storefront when driving down the main street. The FBI caught up with him in 1978, but he was paroled in 1979 (so fast?). Many local residents wrote letters and signed petitions on his behalf. He returned to Oregon, ran bingo parlors again, but got in trouble for rolling back odometers in an illegal business he ran. He paid a big fine, then moved to Texas, where he died in 1998. His sons apparently never lived here with him.
I knew very little of this. I wonder how it all affected the son, if at all.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a good question @JudyEv.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, it affected him.
• Midland, Michigan
@TheHorse It took a very long time to affect him if that was partially the reason for his actions. Although, after reading about the father's criminal history, I felt like the son possibly got some of his damaged genes even though I've no clue whether that type of thing can be passed on or not. The kids never knew their father was in prison when they were living with their mom. The son was controlling and somehow that may have impacted his actions, but how, we may never know.
Interesting about the father. I didn't hear much about this crazy mans childhood
• Eugene, Oregon
No, I have not either. He apparently did not live with his father.
• Marion, Kansas
So maybe he was mad at the world. Or not. I think it is very sad, and also sad that the dad was a crook.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is very true.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JamesHxstatic My did was a professor. I'm a professor. This is not coincidence.
Surely a weird family. I think we are not yet finished to have surprises.
• Eugene, Oregon
I suspect you are right.
@kobesbuddy (16945)
• East Tawas, Michigan
What a terrible father image, Stephen Paddock had for a male example, growing up!:(
• Eugene, Oregon
Very true, it makes you wonder.
@kobesbuddy (16945)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JamesHxstatic Not to defend him in this heinous crime, but this man was never shown the correct way to go!
• Eugene, Oregon
@kobesbuddy Well, not by his father at least. We know nothing of his mother except that he liked to send her elaborate cookie gifts.
From what I have read, his childhood wasn't too good.
@JamesHxstatic It is painful to think about the grief and pain he has brought to so many people.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Kandae11 It really is awful.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What did you hear?
@peavey (15865)
I hadn't heard that he was a convicted bank robber, but I heard that he worked for the government for some time and was a professional gambler. It looks like his father wasn't a very good role model.
• Eugene, Oregon
The old man was quite a piece of work, robbing banks and all. Who knows if or how often he saw the two boys?
@peavey (15865)
@JamesHxstatic That's true, but gambling seems to have run in the family. Bingo is just a form of it.
• Eugene, Oregon
@peavey Yes, bingo is gambling, but the old man ran the games here.
@DeborahDiane (15884)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic - Some people just seem to have trouble living an honest life, even when they are given the opportunity. He could have kept running the Bingo parlors and made a good life for himself, if he had avoided rolling back odometers. It's a shame. He was a terrible example for his sons, but hardly bad enough to cause one son to shoot hundreds of people from a hotel room. It is hard to explain that, isn't it?
• Eugene, Oregon
Extremely hard, yes.
@FayeHazel (10882)
Wow, small world for sure!
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes that was a strange local connection.
Yeah, how the heck do you get paroled after just a year?
• Eugene, Oregon
That was really odd, after a prison escape too, besides robbing numerous banks. Many local folks thought he was a good guy.
@Freelanzer (6426)
He didn't have a good role model so I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
• Eugene, Oregon
Could be.
Weird. Sometimes prisons let offenders out early if they have committed a violent crime. They do it to make room in the prisons for more offenders.
• Eugene, Oregon
It is odd he got out so soon, having escaped from prison the way he did.
@JamesHxstatic .....That's for sure. He is either very lucky or they needed the room.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Good information. I hadn't heard this.