Patriotism Isn't Dead

Last night I went to my grandchildren festival of flags performance. Both my granddaughter and grandson are in the marching bands at their schools. My granddaughter has been a part of the school marching band since middle school and then transitioned to the high school band so she is pretty much a pro at these events. My grandson was nervous as this was his first time performing in front of such a large crowd. I have to say for 7th graders and their first time they did a great job. There were 6 other schools participating in this event and I'm prejudiced saying our school was the best. NOT!! They were awesome. Of course having 250 band members marching and doing their thing makes a pretty impressive sight. Some of the other schools had far less members in their marching bands. Anyway, the point I wanted to make wasn't really about the band itself. The bleachers were packed with spectators and everyone was in good spirits. When the National Anthem started to play the place got incredibly silent, everyone stood and placed their hands over their hearts. I was almost in tears seeing the patriotism in this crowd. There wasn't a single person who refused to stand, no protests and no kneelers. I don't really like to post anything that is political but I just had to say that patriotism isn't dead and respect for the flag was apparent.
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
And this is the kind of story we all need to hear. I will always and forever respect the flag.
Even if we don't agree on the politics involved respect for our country and flag should always be important
@fishtiger58 (30320)
• Momence, Illinois
@Marilynda1225 yes it should
Nothing contributes more to a parade, in my opinion, then a marching band. That is one thing that I do love about a marching band. We came from such a small rural area that they would import marching bands for our parades otherwise I'd not know what they are.
Since I'm originally from New York the only big marching bands I ever saw were in the parades in New York City for either St. Patricks Day or Thanksgiving. I was always a big lover of marching bands so when my granddaughter joined here in her school I was thrilled. She is living one of my dreams
Far too many in this country underestimate the number of patriots in this country. The NFL, ESPN, and the NBA underestimated the number and are now paying for that mistake.
Wow thats alot of people in one band. I would've stood, but wouldn't have been mad if someone kneeled. As its not about the flag, or service people.
Really nice to hear this. I am glad that patriotism is still very much alive in my homeland.
This prove that normal people respect the values of the Nation and the flag, which is very good.
@Platespinner (17045)
Unfortunately, it's the few few that tend to get the attention.
That is so good to hear that people were standing and proud to be Americans!! =)
@dodoazo (21035)
Allegiance to the flag especially taking a respect when there's a flag anthem rites is one of the patriotic acts a citizen of the country may show.
@ilocosboy (35749)
good for the kids to show the meaning of patriotism to adults who don't know what patriotism is.
All the other was just people rebelling against Trump.
What a wonderful thing for them all to do. It's a great sign of respect.
That's totally awesome. I'm glad your grandkids did awesome in the parade as well.
I have always enjoyed watching marching bands.