Would you allow The Good Doctor to examine you ?

It is typically Autumn or Fall around these parts (although momma nature has misplaced the memo with her summer-like temperatures) as one seeking means of entertainment through the television channel previews, may have discovered with themes of harvest, pumpkins, and geniuses ? Well much of the October through late December movies and reality shows focus on the up and coming holidays, or the slew of different recipes for the holiday tables, or the bland and/or comical satire we humans crave but there is one new premiere that focuses on empathy, something we humans might be lacking any influence over. It is a new series, one that centers on a very misunderstood, little documented mental condition called Savant Syndrome. The show is called "The Good Doctor" . It is reviewed and rated as brilliant by the millions of viewers who have tuned in thus far to see Dr. Sean Murphy achieve and perform, through his wonderful 3 dimensional visual capacity that is beautifully and neurologically heightened, miracles to say the least . . . My questions to you are can you embrace the good and bad of a Genius/ Savant such as this doctor known as Sean Murphy, and not only watch his 'fictionalized story' unfold but also go and seek the same kind of doctor to help you ?
@Morleyhunt (16729)
Haven't seen the show (that would require watching the television). I avoid going to the doctor.
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
Hahaha.
Okay @Morleyhunt sounds like a television set is NOT an item in your home worth paying much attention to , I got that AND if you avoid doctors then you must also have a secret to keeping yourself above the conditions that would eventually turn into disease ?
@Morleyhunt (16729)
@enlightenedpsych2 I rarely get more than a cold. It's been yeRs since I had to go visit the doctor for a serious illness.
@bunnybon7 (33113)
• Holiday, Florida
i wish to God there were more like him. but i doubt one actually exists . i love that new show, though and fantasize some day having such a doctor
I would NOT be surprised if some students who are within the ASD category can and will venture into medicine and be just like him, right now as this is truly the time for it @bunnybon7 It is as if this show is opening a new door for them, once closed . . . well your wishes are being granted cause more and more kids are being diagnosed as having this AND the good thing is the same road to recovery is NOT to be followed as with other mental conditions. NOTE: I do not call this a mental illness . . .
@bunnybon7 (33113)
• Holiday, Florida
@enlightenedpsych2 if anything its more like genius
@bunnybon7 absolutely but there is a fine line between genius and idiocy and if we just compartmentalize to the standards where social skills are measured, not having enough should never make one ineligible . . . but explain that to the clinicians that keep writing those DSM manuals !
@alberello75 (13178)
• Genova, Italy
I wonder if, "The Good Doctor" could cure me! If that is the case, I will gladly go to him I'm mental disabled (75%). Obsessive compulsive disorder!(this is my sad diagnosis!) I feel awful! After almost thirty years of therapy, no results at all. Only worsening
@alberello75 (13178)
• Genova, Italy
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes, in fact, my days are not concrete. Never in my life I have set a goal! Many courses (useless) done, no jobs! I have a brother who acts with arrogance towards me, because I'm weak in character! (This should not happen, within a family!). I wonder then what will happen to me when my parents will pass away? Only the time will decide! Anyway, from what I've understood in your reasoning, if I can not live optimally, at least try to be a little better! Thanks for your advice Alessandro
@alberello75 glad to help any way I can-- I also wish that you would boost your own self confidence by NOT accepting a 'weak in character' self categorization !
@alberello75 (13178)
• Genova, Italy
@enlightenedpsych2 Thank you. First of all, I should strive to strengthen my character. This is not easy. Perhaps the mistake I've always made in my life, it was to give me up too soon!
I would love to have him treat me. He is very sweet and kind too. he really knows his work.
It is his three dimensional capacity that really excites me as in subtle cases, I too have some of the same skill; however mine is NOT as evident nor profound as his and mostly I tend to regard what I see or know as 'speculation rather than fact' which discounts the entire ability. Thanks @sharon6345 for answering and have a really great day
@enlightenedpsych2 You are welcome please have a nice day.
@sharon6345 even with the rain drizzling all day I am actually managing a subtle successful one ! Have a good weekend
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
The Good Doctor is actually based on the 2013 South Korean series of the same title.
Well thank you for this info @sol_cee as I did not know and was the premise of the show the same ?
@sol_cee (13616)
• Japan
@enlightenedpsych2 yeah same same though I like Shaun better than the Korean version. :)
@sol_cee really why ? I cannot find nor be able to watch the Korean version as I am betting it is not being streamed through any media channels over here, darn it !
I knew nothing about the "Good Doctor". Checking online I see you gave a wrong name. The name of the "Good Doctor" seems to be "Shaun Murphy", a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome from a small town. Anyway there is no a real Shaun Murphy, it's a fictional character. The real Shaun Murphy is a professional snooker player.
Yes I believe I did spell the fictional doctors name incorrectly; however even as a fictional doctor, the idea of a Savant becoming one and able to practice medicine is awesome and if someone like that was in ANY of our local hospitals, I would go to him, or her, BEFORE some of these simple book learned ones influenced only by how much money they can earn off the sick and dying .... thanks @LadyDuck and have a great day
I haven’t seen this show yet but am thinking of checking it out. I heard on Facebook that it’s amazing!
It is amazing but if you are the least bit squeamish SOME of the surgical scenes are intense @shaggin
@enlightenedpsych2 Oh boy okay I think I might have to skip watching it thanks for that warning. I am very squeemish!
@shaggin oh just cover your eyes cause honestly this show is fantastic if people want to actually LEARN what their body is doing when attacked by gosh knows what.
After working with autistic children for so many years, I'd definitely let Dr. Murphy doctor me up. Love the show!!!!
Oh you did @DianneN ? That is a very demanding job both psychologically and sometimes physically, but I am betting they were more a joy than any kind of disappointment
@enlightenedpsych2 All my students were a joy, for the most part. I did get more than my fair share of some humdoozies. lol
@DianneN and what about their special skills as being classified as deficits rather than gifts ?
@FayeHazel (11811)
I haven't heard of the show ... It would be comforting to have a genius work on me - but ... if there is some quirks... I would also like someone who could be comforting and easy to understand
This is why the particular show is so powerful in that it demonstrates compassion in a field where little is exercised . . . I do hope you get to see it even on YouTube @FayeHazel
@FayeHazel (11811)
@enlightenedpsych2 Oh that is so the truth. Physicians should have empathy I think
@FayeHazel should and of course a handful do but it is far from encouraged, well it was about a decade or so ago when I was still in group practice assisting 7 doctors of different specialties, to NOT exercise as much empathy concentrating on the feelings a patient might have but rather just simply on the protocol based on diagnostic assessment--- all numbers and scores and results but little emotional relationship made or acted upon . . . to this day I make it my goal to treat ANY of my so-called patients with the utmost sincere amount of empathy I can render based on their situation and my own experience that can mirror what they are feeling and sensing not just complaining about
@Bluedoll (16788)
I liked the first of the series and looking forward to more. There is some good acting in it though these kinds of shows always seem to find me looking for something to do during the operation scenes. Audio only please. Would I want a doctor like that? It all depends on what is wrong with me and where the writers go with this.
Does it really matter what is wrong with you when someone like the doctor in the show can actually be more objective and empathic then subjective and just sympathetic @Bluedoll ?
@Bluedoll (16788)
something missed pershaps? @enlightenedpsych2 I noticed I think it was in the second of the series that the good doctor's bedside manner was at question. The head of the hospital who supported him and got him hired advised him to comfort and assure patients differently. (in the front lobby of the hospital) Undo worry caused by a statement like "there could be something wrong with you" could give a patient undo worry which is not healthy in itself. It was also suggested that he could cause more harm than good but so far all his care has been positive and except for being over zealous on the testing he has only done good. I'm just going by what the show is demonstrating and that is up to the writers. As for me personally as long as I thought a doctor was doing his job correctly I wouldn't object but might get a second opinion to confirm. I've not yet met a doctor that would object to a second and would be alarmed if I did. I like this show a lot. What do you think of surgery in general?
@Bluedoll yes the one who mentored and recommended Shaun to practice medicine reminds him of the little empathy rule and showing more regard for laymens terminology without using a scare tactic, which the truth might serve so circumvent, diagnose the problem, stick to the protocol despite being highly gifted in the prognostic details
@1hopefulman (20372)
I don't know about this "good doctor" but if he is really good then I would seek his skills in helping me healthier.
@1hopefulman this particular doctor is in a series, fictionalized for television BUT from what I read in further comments that it is based on a Korean show with the same title I think... it is more of having a savant even in medical school to be given such a wonderful chance for his academic magic to unfold, is incredible enough though
@1hopefulman (20372)
@enlightenedpsych2 Thanks for the details. Last night, I found the program on the Internet and watched the third episode as the other two were locked and not accessible and I liked it.
@1hopefulman good to hear as I am hoping it sweeps into all of the homes of people who think the doctor they have currently could not use some of this fictionalized characters views and practices. Thanks Felix
@PainsOnSlate (19223)
I haven't seen the show yet, I will look for it. My doctor is a bit magical, he can tell me exactly what's wrong within minutes of being in his office, I might be just lucky!
But is that doctor absolutely sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that what he says is wrong with you, is valid @PainsOnSlate ?
@enlightenedpsych2 so far, for 25 years yes.He will send me to specialist when he needs too - he is not a Genius/ Savant, but I certainly trust him.
@PainsOnSlate and if you have always been pretty good at judging character to earn trust and then reciprocate back, he is as close to genius for you and that is a very good thing to read about doctor /patient relationships. YEY !
• Pamplona, Spain
Sorry have not seen this Series yet and no one has put any trailers on about showing it in the future either. I know someone that will love to see for sure.
Well I hope you can in your wonderful country @lovinangelsinstead21 either on YouTube or some other form of social media. If not maybe Amazon will sell it after the show ends . . .
• Pamplona, Spain
@enlightenedpsych2 Actually he used to watch "House" every episode of it not that I cared much for it all the time. One or two episodes stick in my mind but apart from that Doctor´s Series are not really my cup of tea.
• Dallas, Texas
I would not personally want such a good doctor to look at me. I don't really like doctors. But they do save lives. good for them. I like ignorant about my conditions. I have white coat anti-social syndrome, even though I made that up.
Even for a 'made up term' it could appear in the next DSM ! But @lookatdesktop in a better reality a doctor who can only be empathetic, not understand lying so does not, feels and senses in a much more higher frequency of attunement and be allowed to come up with two or three more variables than the average mind can offer because three dimensionality with accurate microbiological identification at the cellular level, would be a great asset to the current flaw in medical trainees today, don't you think ?
We haven't seen the show. But if he's a good doctor, I don't see why not.
Well good or not it is the clinical approaches he uses by being labeled as autistic/savant that has me enthusiastic cause it really says a lot about the future of medicine should this currently fictionalized individual practice medicine in real life-- meaning allow those with an ASD label, be permitted to even enter medical student thank you @Susan2015
@KrauseHome (33381)
This is an interesting show. I have been watching, and will be curious to see how things develop and he is accepted from here.
Do you know anyone who is raising a child living under the label of an ASD category @KrauseHome ?
@JustBhem (22514)
• Davao, Philippines
And I've been following this series since it's initial first episode. And I don't mind examine by him.
@kepweng (6388)
of course atlest hes a good doctor not a bad one
I haven't heard of this program, and likely I wouldn't.
Why would you NOT go see a doctor who could actually help with the gift of foresight and no tolerance for lying, cheating or stealing @just4him ?
@enlightenedpsych2 Is he a real doctor? Right now I wouldn't even go to Dr. Oz.
@just4him the character is not but I do believe is based on someone real in some country but real or not, a genius such as what he is acting as does offer some monumental evidence that Autism or Savant Syndrome are NOT diseases but rather miraculous conditions. Don't you agree ?
@peachpurple (10708)
I don't know who is good doctor but anything that is aired on tv are just bogus, trick, gimmick.
That kind of thinking, @peachpurple , where all or nothing kind of thinking is adopted (and I figure that out by your statement "anything that is aired on tv are just bogus, tricks or gimmicks" is not actually correct . . . because totalitarian thought rules out any sort of grey area most situations already demonstrate.
@peachpurple (10708)
@enlightenedpsych2 maybe you are right
@peachpurple I believe I am . . .