Frantic Days

Personal Image LadyDuck
Switzerland
Friday morning, I heard a loud buzzing while I was taking a bath. A big hornet was flying inside the bathroom. I jumped out of the bathtub, sprayed it with a product and forget about the accident. A few hours later another hornet was buzzing in the same room. I went outside and a quick search showed that the hornets had made their way in a small crack under the beam of the roof, exactly where our bathroom is. Those big insects are dangerous, they bite and sting at the same time, I called the firefighters to come for a de-infestation. They came Saturday early afternoon and stayed several hours, spraying inside the crack, checking under the roof tiles, making sure that all the hornets were dead and the house again safe. You can see in my photos the two hornets I captured and the truck of the firefighters in front of our garage. All's Well That Ends Well. Did you ever experience a hornet invasion?
I have yellow jackets once in a while. I try to check everywhere so that their nest is small. They use the same one every year and it gets bigger and bigger
@LadyDuck That was quite an investation! Thank God nobody got hurt!
• Marion, Kansas
@LadyDuck Wow!! I am glad they helped.
@Butchcass4 They were surely trying to find a warm place to survive the winter.
I'm so glad you weren't bitten or stung. I have never seen one and I pray I never will. I'm so glad you got rid of those awful things. I have seen wasps and was once chased by one when we vacationed at a lake, I don't like those things either. Maybe I should be grateful I don't live so close to a body of water as it seems people see more of these horrible flying bullies if they live in lush green areas.
I was scared when one chased me in the bathroom, I jumped out of the bathtub and splashed water everywhere. Today I have not heard or seen one, I hope they are gone forever.
You poor thing @LadyDuck I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been. I hope those nasty things are gone forever too.
@rebelann My husband was shaving and instead of helping he ran out of the room Later he said it was to go find a spray to kill the thing.
@crossbones27 (15108)
• Redlands, California
I so love your country, can I move there. Sorry about the hornets, and glad you OK. Our country just does not work like that. Only Wasps tried to enter this home, but did not last long and not sure why they did not fight that hard. Knocked one nest down when was a child and that damn thing followed me into the house to make sure it stung me. This time, they like, ah was not a good place.
Oh goodness, almost the wasps can be dangerous. The hornets are so big and I think I am allergic, I stayed closed inside while they worked.
• Redlands, California
@LadyDuck Oh yeah, hornets are bigger than wasps and wasp stings are about 10 times a bee sting, so not sure how a hornet would be. Said they carry a bit of poison or some kind of chemical that does not make you feel well.
@crossbones27 It seems that their bites are very bad and you end up at the ER if they sting. I did not want to experience.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
We get mud hornets that like to build nests on our outside walls. My hubby usually takes care of them.
Mud hornets are not dangerous, I remove their nests myself all the time.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck I am afraid of any kind of hornet they are so mean.
@fishtiger58 The mud hornets do not sting, I am not afraid of the bees, if you let them alone, they will not annoy you. I am afraid by wasps and hornets.
@Asylum (47115)
• Manchester, England
I do not think that I have ever seen a hornet, which I am rather pleased about.
You are right to be pleased, they are big and ugly and they make a loud buzz that is scary enough to want to get rid of them.
@Asylum (47115)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck I would not mind the noise, but do not fancy the idea of being stung.
@Asylum I was really scared, they came out from nowhere, I still cannot understand from where they managed to come inside the bathroom. It's the second night with no noises and no problems. I think that the problem is over.
@alberello75 (13491)
• Genova, Italy
Not hornets, but in the year 2002, when we were still living upstairs, we were invaded by almost unknown animals, in Italian called "fuochisti". Nothing seemed to work against them! Until one day, we had to call a special company that was apt to pest control. The price for their work, at the time was €200!
I know which ones you mean, they are a real pain. We had them in the apartment one year when we lived in France, it was hard to get rid of them. I expect to pay around $ 100 for the firemen work.
@alberello75 (13491)
• Genova, Italy
@LadyDuck Dear Anna. At the time, is not used much commercialize via internet (as was now Amazon, for example). There was in my city, a shop called ADmail. (Seems "cineseria", of the era...). We bought a strange device functioning ultrasound. But with what result? Zero!
@alberello75 Those things do not work, I bought one for the mosquitoes and it never worked.
That must have been awful. Do you have to pay a fee to the firemen?
I was scared yesterday, I did not even dare to open the door of the bathroom. We will receive the invoice from the firemen department, it's not expensive, we already had a similar problem under a balcony 6 years ago. I think to remember we paid about 80 dollars.
@LadyDuck Ah gotcha so they offer this service. There is no termite or pest control there?
@infatuatedbby Yes we have private companies that do pest control, we have no termites here. I like to call the firemen, they come immediately and they are cheaper. They are also authorized and certified for pest control. They came with appropriate anti wasp clothing and all the products they needed.
• Preston, England
not hornets - had wasp nests to deal with twice
We had wasps under the upper balcony roof 6 years ago, even that time the firemen did a great job.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck glad you got rid of them
@arthurchappell It is incredible how all those little animals can be so much annoying and disturbing.
@YrNemo (8429)
We got trouble with bees once. God knows why they suddenly came making a nest right there, on a skinny pathetic tree next to our verandah. For three days we were scared stiff. Right on the 4th day, when some experts were supposed to come to remove them, they silently disappeared. (We chopped that tree. .)
If they all came together and disappeared at the same time, surely the Queen was there, they always follow the Queen.
@YrNemo (8429)
@LadyDuck The naughty queen! (The kids and I were so frightened!)
@YrNemo When they are many and so close I also fear the bees, even if they are not aggressive. Wasps are aggressive.
@JustBhem (22350)
• Davao, Philippines
Yeah, and I was attacked and got my lips swollen when I was young.
I think it was not a hornet, but a wasp, I have only been stung by a bee years ago, but it was a little one.
@JustBhem (22350)
• Davao, Philippines
@LadyDuck Nah, I can't tell. I was too young then and it took almost two weeks before the swelling gone. I even had a fever.
@JustBhem Those big things send you to the ER when they bite.
I remember being stung by a hornet when I was a very young child, and that painful experience has remained in my memory. I am so afraid of them as a result. We have not ever had any hornets anywhere that we have ever lived.
I have been stung by a wasp and I had an allergic reaction. These hornets are about 4 to 5 times bigger than the wasps, so I was afraid at the idea they could sting me. I think they are all gone now. I have not seen one all the day yesterday.
@LadyDuck Good, I hope that they are gone for good now.
@Juliaacv I checked again outside and I see no more hornets near the roof nor flying in our area.
@DeborahDiane (16152)
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - When we lived in Texas, we used to get hornets and wasps in the house. I hated it!
Those insects are dangerous, I wanted to get rid of them to avoid to see them around. I called our insurers and added a small extension to our house policy, so this kind of intervention will be covered.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - Wow! Your homeowner's insurance is much different in Switzerland than it is here in the U.S. We discussed this once before when we talked about fire insurance. I do not think it would be possible to get insurance here to cover the intervention of an insect infestation. What a great idea!
@DeborahDiane I was not sure and I called my insurer, he checked and he said that we can have this extension, it's only a couple of dollars more per year.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Hornets have a painful sting. We used to have hornets nests hanging from trees in our yard or trees nearby.We hated to do it but we threw gas on the nests to get rid of the hornets.
Hornets are dangerous, they kill the bees and steal the honey, so I do not have pity for them.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LadyDuck I do have pity for anything that must be killed but that's how animals live. They kill each other to eat.
@RubyHawk If they would have stayed out of my house and not attacked me, I would have not killed them.
Oh you were attacked! I've been bitten by one when I was a kid when I tried to pick a flower and there was a hornet in it. My thumb stung like hell and I don't want to experience that again ever!
I am allergic, if those big things should bite me I have to be rushed to the ER, hoping to arrive there in time. I was so scared when I noticed that in some way they entered inside the bathroom. Yesterday I have seen none around. I hope they have all been killed.
@LadyDuck oh it's too dangerous for you. I hope they're all gone by now.
@toniganzon They are all gone, I check time by time to see if there are some flying outside, but I have not seen one since last Saturday.
@thelme55 (11777)
OMG! I am glad you are safe now. No, I have not experienced that. They are indeed dangerous insects.
They are very dangerous, one of the fireman who came told me he was bitten a few years ago and was sick for days.
@thelme55 (11777)
@LadyDuck OMG! Good that you are safe now.
@thelme55 I have not seen one since the firemen came and sprayed all the area. I think they have all gone.
@sabtraversa (9793)
I've never seen a hornet, they sound like one of the scariest things of this planet.
They were, for hours I had the feeling to hear their buzzing noise, I was scared.
• Denmark
@sabtraversa Nonsense, says I!
Hmm what you have in the photo I always thought were called yellow jackets. Lately the apples have been falling off the tree and if left on the ground half way through the day those apples will be swarming with yellow jackets. I had no idea you could call firefighters to kill them.
Yellow jackets are smaller, those I had under the wooden beam of the roof are 2 inches long, they sing and they bite, they are very dangerous. We pay the firefighters, they are listed among the professionals appointed to fight wasps and hornets. The bees are never killed, they come with a professional who "calls" the bees using a "Queen Bee".
@LadyDuck That is really neat the fire fighters are trained to do that! You are right that hornets are bigger and look different. Ironically I just got stung by a nasty yellow jacket today. I looked up the difference ha ha so I know it was not a hornet.
@shaggin It hurts a lot when they sting, I have to be careful because I am allergic.
@Micmac (6825)
Two summers ago, yellowjackets invaded my kitchen. I had to battle them for nearly three weeks, spraying Lysol on them. Horrible experience. I could barely sleep and, thankfully, I didn't get stung. After I got rid of them, then I discovered their hive inside my porch. I will never forget the terror. To this day, I still get paranoid whenever I see or hear a bee.
I do not fear bees, but I am paranoid about hornets and wasps. Five years ago the wasps had made a big hive under the porch. Now the hornets under the roof. It was impossible for us to climb on the roof to spray the area, we needed a professional help.
@Micmac (6825)
@LadyDuck Yes, they are nasty frightful insects. Once a bee stung my leg, causing my leg to get numb for a while. I hope those wasps and hornets never return in your place again. I had an enormous bee invasion twice so far.
@Micmac This is the second invasion that we have. Five years ago the wasps made a very big nest under the beam of the balcony of the bedroom. I hope not to have a third invasion in the future.
@Shellyann36 (8619)
I am surprised that the fire department takes care of that. Here in the states, we would have to take care of it ourselves or hire a professional to come take care of it. I am glad it was sorted out for you. My Granny's house had a huge hornet's nest located at one of the windows. My cousin was outside and got stung by several. She was rushed to the hospital with an allergic reaction and is still highly allergic to them. She carries around an EPI pen in case she is stung. They finally had the nest removed after she was stung. I never understood why my Granny refused to have it taken care of. Of course, I was young, it could have been the fact that she did not have the money to get someone out there to take care of it.
@LadyDuck It is always interesting to see how different countries/areas take care of unique problems such as this. I am glad they are away from your home now.
@Shellyann36 It's a week today that they came and everything is quiet. If the cold finally comes in, the few left will be killed by the cold.
@LadyDuck Glad to know it is as it should be.
@sueznewz2 (9384)
• Alicante, Spain
no I haven't.. I'm glad you were able to get someone to sort it out for you... I did not realise the fire depart did that ... do you have to pay...or is it a free service??
Our fire department is authorized to exterminate wasps and hornets nests, not to do other kind of pests control. Yes, we pay for the service, but it is usually less expensive than a private company. The fire department it's only 2 Km from our home, the closest private company at 30 Km and this makes a big change in price.
@sueznewz2 (9384)
• Alicante, Spain
@LadyDuck Yes it would do.... Im glad you were able to get it sorted at a reasonable price
@sueznewz2 Everything is quiet since they came and treated the area. I think we are safe now.