When Dumb Just Keeps Getting Dumber

@Raelove (16819)
Saco, Maine
In the two years since I first moved to this senior housing complex, I've seen no end to the ways in which humans can muck things up. In the "real world," an apology often follows such an event, which is sometimes accompanied by an offer to rectify the situation. But here in "Old Folks Land," we are pretty much the forgotten minority. And once the managers clock out on Fridays, we pretty much no longer exist. That said, our esteemed managers decided that yesterday would be a good day to come in here and seal all the asphalt, which is comprised of the drive-through, the parking spaces, and our walkways. I guess no one took into consideration the fact that putting sealant down on old asphalt is best done on a hot dry windy day, NOT on a cloudy, cold, damp day, which was exactly what yesterday was. The end result? Much of the sealant hasn't even begun to dry, our cars are still all parked way out on the main road, and a barricade tape has been strung across the entrance to keep everyone out. The more capable among us CAN manage to get in and out without having to walk across wet sealant, which is accomplished by skirting the very edges of our narrow gardens, hopping onto our individual concrete stoops, and then circling around to the grass behind the buildings. That's all well and good for some of us, but totally impossible for those who use walkers or canes or who have other mobility issues. We've been given no further instructions as to what to expect going forward, and this whole thing was contrary to what they told us was going to happen via a flyer they handed out last week. We were supposed to be able to get back in here at the end of the day, but that didn't happen. We were also supposed to be able to get in and out of our units as long as we steered clear of the workmen, which also did not happen. Someone brought up the issue of emergency vehicles, but we all concurred that fire and rescue personnel wouldn't be deterred by the sealant, and it would serve the management and the owners right if something were to happen and they tracked all that sealant inside on their precious carpets and tile! It's been 18 hours since they left yesterday, and the sealant has just begun to dry in small spots. It's breezy and humid, but the sun keeps going in and out, and more rain is predicted for later today and tonight. So here we all are, stranded, and all wondering, "Now what?" Which, as I have learned, is a pretty accurate motto for this place! (Public Domain Image)
In most places I have seen, they do one side first and let it dry before doing the other side. They need to leave space for people to have access to get in and out of their homes.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Well, this crew did not do it that way. They did the whole thing. The least they could have done would have been to put some raised boards across the walkways, to make it a little easier to get around.
@Raelove 3 Stooges business practice. LOL. Not cool to put people in compromising situations that could cause them harm.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@ElusiveButterfly Nope. And get this...it's pouring rain now, so I was just out there watching all the sealant puddling up. I dipped my junky old broom in it, and turned it black. If we're lucky, it'll all wash away and we'll be back down to the old tar!
So sorry you had to go through this. Common sense isn't so common in some places.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Tell me about it. Here it is Monday, and no one has yet to tell us what's going on.
@Raelove this won't go down well.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@allen0187 I made sure it did yesterday by getting permission to take the caution tape down so we could all get back in here. How it plays out for the company, though, is quite another thing, as they totally wasted their money on that job.
That is absurd. You should all call EMTs and bill the managers.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
If I had reason to, I wouldn't hesitate.
@Raelove ......They should. Bring some people in to see how the people there are being treated.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Sounds serious and funny at the same time...the way you tell it. It didn't seem as if a lot of planning went into it.maybe it was 'old people' who they thought didn't matter one way or the other. Hope things improve today. Pity they can't be chastised. irresponsible bunch.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Oh they are. But it's easy to waste when you're spending someone else's money.
This proves that you don't need a high IQ to become a manager of a housing complex or get a job in the town hall where such things are decided.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
You're so right, Malu. I've long said that those at the top aren't necessarily the sharpest. This is just more proof of that...
Door knobs! One does this kind of work in the sunny heat of the summer. Not now.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I know, right? A bit of common sense would have gone a long way here...
I don't understand why they didn't do one half at a time. That makes sense to me.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
You would think, right? But "thinking" is not what these people do.
A shame that so little concern was given to the residents regarding this process of sealing. :The residents seem to be an afterthought.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
There you go. We fill the apartments and their bank accounts. That's pretty much all we're worth in the end.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
That is a complete!y brainless move on their part! Why on earth would they do it when the weather is bad? Now they have nigjtmate situation
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Well, Mother Nature took care of it and washed it all away. Which means that the company paid for a day's work and all that sealant for nothing. Poetic justice, I'd say.
In my country, in highways, they fix one side first and then the other. And they have a couple of man acting as "traffic lights" to change the car flow.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
This is an apartment complex for older people, so there isn't a lot of extra space to begin with. Doing half one day and letting it dry would have made much more sense. And NOT in the rain!!!
• Riga, Latvia
What a bunch of dummies. Well I sure hope that sealant finally dries and I will put in a prayer you're all safe until it does.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, it'll dry in a few days. Thank you, though. It's appreciated.