Early Easter Surprise

By DB
@dgobucks226 (11437)
"I'd like to introduce you to my little friend." No not Al Pacino's (Tony Montana) gun in the movie "Scarface. This little friend has nothing to do with Al Pacino's character or the movie. This is a furry little friend I've discovered living in my backyard. A little bunny rabbit has established a home in my garden patch where he hides and relaxes. He also goes under my deck for protection which is a good idea, since I get a hawk which stops by on occasion to hunt birds. Apparently, the rabbit enjoys the tasty grass in my yard! And I don't even fertilize the lawn I've had squirrels, ducks, and chipmunks before, but this is my first rabbit as a tenant. How about you, any renters where you live? Here is a photo of the little bunny I took while he was getting some shade under my butterfly tree. Photo-mine (not the best picture, but did not want to scare the bunny)
That's pretty cool. I have some kind of little creature living near my home too. I think a Squirrel, but I haven't got to see him quite close enough to tell for sure, he's pretty good size though.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
My home is loaded with squirrels. They love to compete with my birds and doves for seeds.
I see that new tenant of yours!! How wonderful he feels safe in your yard. Molly, the pup, would chase him, but her legs are too short to catch him. I have seen her try many times, but she never catches a bunny who enters her backyard by squeezing through a tiny space under the fence.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
That bunny is very nifty. I have tried to feed it, but the rabbit is quick and has great escape routes. Molly would definitely have a challenge, ha.
Hummingbirds like to hang out at the feeder on the balcony.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
I've had couple hummingbirds. That is cool you have them come to your balcony
"There he is." "Where, behind the rabbit?" "It IS the rabbit!"
@dgobucks226 (11437)
It's a bird, it's a plane, no....it's Superbunny! Where behind that rabbit, lol.
@dgobucks226 - I never tire of quoting Monty Python when I can.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
@teamfreak16 Great quote. Fortunately, mine is not a killer
Until you said it was under the tree, I couldn't see a bunny at all. All I saw was what looks like a frog toy. That bunny blends in very well with his surroundings. His eye is what caught my attention and then I saw the rest of him.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
I am sure that is a product of my lousy picture taking Glad you found him! Good eyesight to pick out that frog toy
@dgobucks226 The frog toy was easy to find, the bunny was a bit of a challenge.
A very good picture of the bunny. We have wild ones that go through our yard.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
Yes, I was happy to get him before he took off on me. Actually, I think he is getting used to me now.
@FayeHazel (17093)
Happy about your bunny, but watch out for your garden !
@dgobucks226 (11437)
Fortunately most of it is picked now as the growing season has wound down. I think the rabbit just likes the safety of hiding in there?
@FayeHazel (17093)
@dgobucks226 That could be it . Rabbits love celery.... they got mine at the garden or some of it
@dgobucks226 (11437)
@bluesa (13427)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Awwww, there is the little bunny you told me about, too cute! Try to give him some healthy bunny snacks, so he doesn't snack on your garden! Creepy about the hawk, David, sheesh I hope the bunny outwits it each time!
@dgobucks226 (11437)
Yes, that hawk can be a nuisance, So far, I usually see the bunny about an hour before sunset. I've tried to feed the rabbit, but he prefers grass to humans and their food
@bluesa (13427)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@nanette64 (17470)
• Fairfield, Texas
Definitely a little cutie @dgobucks226 . I get: rabbits, squirrels, foxes, coyotes, deer, wild hogs, bobcats. Not to mention the neighborhood chickens, cats and dogs.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
Quite a crowd Nanette! If you could only corral all of them you'd have a decent petting zoo.
@nanette64 (17470)
• Fairfield, Texas
@dgobucks226 Boy ain't that the truth, Geez!!!
Hey, little bunny!
@dgobucks226 (11437)
What's up Doc?
I had to look and look and than I saw his eyes. He is under the tree.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
He really blends into the background. Thanks for your response!
@cahaya1983 (10055)
Must be something interesting there that made them all gravitate towards your place I live in an apartment so no, no other tenants besides the occasional visits from the birds perching on my balcony railing.
@dgobucks226 (11437)
There must be something in my yard that is tasty. I have seen rabbits roaming around before on other people's property, but they usually move on. This rabbit has been here for weeks now