Results on "the great sleep experiment"

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
For the past few weeks, I had been going to bed at 4-6 p.m., waking up around 8 pm and not able to get back to sleep and was up the rest of the night until 4 pm bedtime the next day. I was always going as i was so sleepy by the time i went to bed. I decided i had enough of it. I was going to try my hardest to stay awake longer. I decided to try what I had named" My great sleep experiment" I ended up reading a lot last night and doing some my lotting and managed to stay awake until 11 pm last night! I had a very delightful sleep and woke up a lot later at 6:12 this morning! It was the greatest feeling knowing I could sleep like a normal person! I plan on repeating it tonight! What time do you go to bed and wake up on average? Do you ever get up too early?
Congratulations, try to keep this schedule for several days, so it can become a habit. We usually go to sleep around 10:30 PM and get up at 6 in the morning.
I may try a little earlier to sleep it will depends on how tired i am but not before 10 p.m.! i feel like the whole world has been opened for me!. It is like all this extra time is available to me! I am going to keep this up. I read somewhere it takes thirty days to make something a habit and I am going to try this the next 30 days until it becomes a habit. I may have had most of my medicine to sleep to wear off of me as i took them at 4;30 that afternoon I think i may take half a dose or one pill instead of two pills ( my prescription says, one to two pills ) and see i can still sleep? My next big experiment!
You're retired and get up at 6 a.m.? I would never do that voluntarily. For me retirement means falling asleep late and getting up late.
@MALUSE I was never able to work due to mental problems, so I am not technically retired. But I still love to get up early and always have!
Oh that is fantastic Jennifer!! Now you will be able to sleep I like to go to bed early around 8 or 9 and get up at 3 or 4.
I sometimes go to bed at 8-9 at night and am up by 2 am in the morning. I would love to go to bed early if i slept through the night! But it seems i cannot do it well?
@Marty1 I think what you are doing at 11PM seems to work out real good for you huh?
@TiarasOceanView i am not sure if it will work out as i had only tried the experiment last night, but am going to try it again tonight without as much of my sleeping medicines! I can do that as my prescription says to take one to two pills as needed for insomnia. I will try and see what happens!!
Wow! You did it. Soon, this sleep pattern will become a habit. I go to bed at 11:00 p.m. and wake up at 7:00 a.m.
I plan on making it a habit, and I feel so much more of life has been opened to me! I would love to get up at 7 am, but it did not work this morning, but will keep up with it until it becomes a habit! I did read numerous self-help books tell me it takes 30 days to make something a habit
I am out at nine and up at five.Been doing this for years.
That is great! I wish i could go to bed and not wake up in the middle of the night! That is why I stayed up so late! I thought in your posts in the past hat you like to read? am i correct? How do you do how do you find the time if you do read?
@Marty1 once I am done here.shut down I do my reading in our living room.No T V just read and then off to bed
@amadeo How long do you usually read? i am leaving here at 9 pm tonight and going to read in bed one or two hours. It depends on how tired I get. Then I will sleep. Do you read any other time of day? I read in the afternoon today
I am usually in bed about 11 pm and wake up around 4 am but that doesn't mean I am sleeping the entire time.
I used to wake up sometimes around 4 am if i would go shopping with my sister. What do you do when not sleeping, as you said you were not sleeping the whole time between those hours?
@Marty1 Will myself to sleep.
@JohnRoberts I would love to do that in the future! in the meantime I take a medicine to sleep
Sometimes it varies, but for the most part I go to sleep around midnight, and wake up at 5am.
I am not sure if I could get up at 5 am if i went to bed at midnight. I went 11 pm last night and slept until only 6:12 am. May take less of my sleep medicine and try going to bed later and see what happens?
I went to bed early last night..but usually I go to bed after 11 but stay up until about 12:30 reading or watching Neftlix. I wake up maybe at 6 or 7, but I doze until about 8:30.
I am afraid of staying up past midnight as I may wake up too late maybe not until noon which i would not like as most of the day is over! I am glad you can sleep those hours and still get up at a decent time! I am going to stay up reading until 11 pm tonight! I may take half of a dose of my sleeping medicine as i can take one or two pills it says on the bottle, That may make me able to stay up later than i went last night and not sleep until noon?
Are you still able to do this? I usually go to bed around 10 on a work night. If I stay up later I don't sleep as well.
Sort of as i go to bed by 7 pm each night,sometues earlier but the extra medicine my psychiatrist prescribed to me for sleep is finally starting to work. I still wake up a few times a night but am always so sleepy that I go back to bed. I fell asleep a few minutes after six at night yesterday and slept until 7 am this morning! Even went back to bed at 4 am today when Onyx the kitten woke me up by kissing my face repeatedly which I loved!
@Marty1 that is too early for me. I would be awake in the middle of the night if I went to bed that early.
@ElusiveButterfly I used to wake up and stay up but now with the extra dose if medicine i go right back to sleep. But then i am always tired think because of the medicine but i rather be that than not sleeping
@nangayo (2341)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Good for you. I have tried going to bed late so as to sleep soundly without waking in the middle of the night to no avail. I envy you. I have a problem of waking in the middle of the night and sleep leaving me.
I always had a problem with waking up in middle of the night also. I woke up several times last night, but not staying up long going back to bed.
@nangayo (2341)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Marty1 Lucky you. Once i wake up in the middle of the night my sleep goes.
@nangayo That is sometimes the case with me. Most of the time i am starting to go back to sleep in the middle of the night. I don't sleep a lot before I wake up in middle of the night, but i go back to sleep but do sleep, not a bad amount for me after I go back to bed after I get up and get on the computer or read?
Yay, I'm glad it worked for you. I go to bed between midnight and 2am. Sleep til 10-1pm depending if i have to get up for anything.
I had fallen asleep reading last night from around 5-7pm. Then went back to bed around 9 pm and was awakened by my Kitten, Onyx, standing on my back meowing at 1 am, By 2 am I went back to bed until 5:43 am the time I awakened for good! I am like you when I have to get up in the morning; I always adjust my beditme!
@Marty1 well, i dont adjust mine. I just sleep less. Lol
@Courtlynn I think i may have to start doing that, But the anxiety that surfaces when I have to get up early makes it hard for me to go to sleep after late afternoon! i go to bed the afternoon before i have to be someplace early in the morning!!
That's good that you found a way to stay up until later. Hope it continues to work for you. I go to bed any time from about 10p. to 5,6 or whatever a.m. Have to get my daughter up at 5a. and some nights I might as well just stay up cause it gets so late.
Yes, that is true that sometimes it makes sense just to stay up when it gets so late. I accidentally fell asleep reading today (Monday) at around 5 pm and slept until two hours later at 7:15 pm I am going to try to get more sleep at 10 pm tonight
@Marty1 ......Must have needed some shut eye.
@celticeagle he always needs shut-eye! his biggest hobby is his sleeping!
Congratulations, Jenn! It's important to stick to a sleep schedule by going to sleep the same time every night.
I have not actually gone at any particular hour as I go when I start to feel really tired and wake up on average between 5-7 am. Monday was the latest at 7:43 am. I woke up at 5:21 am this morning (Tuesday)
@Marty1 Not bad hours at all!!!
@DianneN I just feel so lazy if i sleep after 4 am in the morning. The human Marty that I named my Marty after gets up at 4 am, and I adore the guy and he has a very popular radio show in Pittsburgh but yet he writes to me. He also saved my life getting me hospitalized in February.
@RubyHawk (25393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Since I started my new routine, I go to bed around 10 and read about an hour. I'm sleeping better than when I went to bed later. Sounds like your new routine is working for you too.
That is great you have a new routine that is working. So glad you are sleeping better! I am so happy for you! I goofed and read some and fell asleep around 5 p.m. while readinf and was up at 7:15 p.m. I am Unable to fall back to sleep. I am going to try my hardest to stay up until around 10 pm on Tuesday. hope to sleep better on Tuesday night!
@RubyHawk (25393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Marty1 I hope it works for you, I'm doing well with my routine if I don't back slide.
@RubyHawk I am sure you will succeed in this new sleep routine. I am so happy for you! I went back to bed last night at 9 pm, but Onyx was on my back meowing at 1 am this morning, so i have been up for a little over an hour now! Will try to stay up later again tonight so I won't wake up when the kitty decides to wake me in the middle of the night
@Chantiele (440)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I am glad that you got it sorted out. I go to bed at 10 and wake up at 4:30 in the morning.
that is quite early to get up after going to sleep at 10
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@Marty1 It is, however, I am so used to it. :)
@Chantiele well as long as you are used to it that sounds okay!
@sabtraversa (13334)
I'm a night owl, I tried similar experiments, but I started going to bed at 4, 5, 6, 7 in the morning. Well, everyone hated me because I would sleep in the afternoon and I wasn't available. But I hoped someday I would have gone to bed in the early evening, that would have taken ages. The only thing that actually worked was to wake up early in the morning, even if I was tired. Well, I had to because of the eye medication. Hope you're sticking to your new sleep routine.
My mom stayed up that late, too.She slept until 3 or 4 in the afternoon then. Think she started to go at 4 am but was walking around the house at 8 or 9 in the morning then sleep late yet again. It was like a cycle with her??? I am an early bird as I love to sleep then be up in the wee hours of the morning!
@sabtraversa (13334)
@Marty1 It's really hard to change habits, I think it's better to wake up early but it's just too difficult sometimes.
@sabtraversa I have a hard time of staying up past 6 in the evening!! I am usually in bed by then!
Congratulations! You did very well. WE go to bed and read until we get sleepy. It depends, it is not always the same. But we are early birds!
I like to read before bed, also. My problem is that I want to stay up reading and not go to sleep. Sleep and I have never had a good relationship. But until my sleep experiment, I would not be able to read very long since I was so tired around bedtime I could not stay awake very long.
Forgot to add, I am glad you are early birds! I am an early bird myself! Even when I go to bed late, I am usually up by 7 am!!
@m_audrey6788 (13622)
That`s good! I usually sleep late and get up early with or without an alarm it`s like an automatic wake up from 7hrs sleep
i wish i had an automatic alarm in my body! I would love to go to bed later and still get up early!
@Marty1 That`s not good having an automatic alarm in your body I`m sure when your body got adjusted to your daily sleep routine then it will (I think)
I generally don't go to bed until 3/4am, and get up between 10 and11am. It works for me as I'm retired, and I'm still getting a normal amount of sleep. I hope you manage to stick to a sleep schedule that suits you.
With my medicine for sleep, i cannot stay up most nights past 8 pm. Usually sleeping by 6 in the evening and sleeping most of the night while getting up briefly several times. But at least i am able to finally go back to sleep most nights
@SinfulRose (3529)
• Davao, Philippines
I'm glad you got a fix on your sleeping problem. You're lucky. I don't have a specific time period for sleep. My schedule's way too random nowadays. But when I do get to sleep, I'm restless. I wake up to a headache and I would feel like I didn't sleep a wink despite sleeping for more than 10 hours. I sometimes even skip sleeping altogether just to finish work and to not get in that restless sleep state. But when I feel like I really have to sleep, I sometimes get myself melatonin just to conk myself out. I don't recommend that by the way. But when I find myself desperate for a fitful and peaceful sleep (at least for once in a week), I'm willing to do almost anything just to get that.
I used to have problems with my sleeping. My doctor prescribed more medicine, and it has just started to work as I wake up several times but always go back to sleep. I have been going to bed between 6-7 p.m. and sleep until almost 7 am the next morning. i am so thrilled with this new sleeping schedule
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
Usually if I work the next day I go to bed by11
That is a very wise thing to so. I go early of i have to get up early for my various morning appointments i need to be up very early the day before i have to get up!