Know Anyone Who Works As A Mascot?

hereandthere2017
Years ago, I saw how hard it really was to wear a mascot's costume. It was heavy, hard to move, and hot inside. Some are expected to dance, too. That's why I was so pleased when I saw this Oppo mascot. Okay, first, because I love the colors. And the design is so simple. I found out the name is Ollie and, to me, it's like a cute toddler. Or a cuddly stuffed toy. But thinking about the person inside, I like that it doesn't look heavy. It's like being inside a balloon. The mascot on the left is stationary. It's the one on the right that's interacting with shoppers and I was able to see the small fan on its right butt.
Here in the mall we manage, we have two mascots a girl and a boy. And they are big. So, it's really so hot when the person who acts for them is inside. It has to have a person to guide each one lest they stumble.
does the costume have a fan inside? how long are they in it? do they have to dance?
@hereandthere None. They just go aboard the double-decker jeep during the motorcade every anniversary of the mall. They are assisted by the utility boys.
@SIMPLYD oh, like celebrities riding on floats waving to people on the road
On Facebook, my friend's cousin whom I knew in my childhood told me she ended up working as one of the Disneyland characters in Florida. She really wanted to be princess but she really does not have that "look" - so she ended up wearing those heavy costumes (I forgot which character). I met one guy who told me they sometimes have to put ice cubes in the there because it gets that hot!
they must be really passionate about singing, dancing, being in character, wearing makeup and costume and entertaining people to work in theme parks. ice cubes? wow! how many minutes are they inside? there should be a limit.
@hereandthere I would think so! I actually would love to try that . . .but I wouldn't enjoy wearing a heavy, hot costume for too long. I have no idea how mascot working time goes, but they don't walk around at all times like they used to . . . it seems like there are periods of time where they come out for photo opportunities now and then go in hiding in back again.
@cahaya1983 (10053)
I don't know anyone personally who works as a mascot but considering the hot weather we have here I really wonder how they can stand walking around with the costume even with the fan inside. I'd need an A/C!
it's hot here, too, but they're usually in the mall where there's a/c.
@cahaya1983 (10053)
@hereandthere Yeah same here. But sometimes they stay outdoors too when there are outdoor exhibitions and events.
Not fun. Pays very little. Plus, you have to deal with crying children or overzealous adults.
some children are even afraid of mascots that are just statues placed in front of the store
@hereandthere true. Not every child appreciates a mascot.
I think it would be quite hard work. I wouldn't be suited to being upbeat and sparkling all the time, especially if I were hot and uncomfortable.
their energy amaze me
@YrNemo (12662)
guess they are people who need the money badly. I saw some in Singapore, and they were sweating badly when they took the top part off.
it's like a sauna in there.
@acelawrites (11001)
It's good there's a fan inside; it could really be hot there!
they would probably faint from the stuffiness inside
@sol_cee (15542)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
What’s Oppo? Like a vegetable?
a phone company in china. what veggie did you have in mind?
OPPO, a camera phone brand enjoyed by young people around the world, specializes in designing innovative mobile photography technology.
They must be very uncomfortable in those costumes - probably get paid a lot.
imagine having to dance too! i don't know how much they're paid, though.
I have never known anyone who was a mascot. I have never been a mascot myself. That fan definitely would come in handy for a mascot.
i remember they would be bathed in sweat after dancing, so when i saw this i was happy for the person inside.
I've never dressed in one of those costumes, but can imagine how hot and awkward it could be. Imagine that! A fan!!!! Super!
I always wondered why mascots in birthday party are rented only for an hour. Then I realized it was because the costume is too heavy plus it's too hot!
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
No, I don't know anyone who worked as a mascot, but those that do have my respect because it must be awful inside most costumes. Those look light and thank goodness you saw a fan on the right butt.
I am thinking that you scanned this photo and forgot to crop it? but as for the mascot maybe you should ask them.
@ridingbet (53222)
i just want to know how the Jollibee mascot can move her eyes. what does the person inside move? maybe a string?