Funny thing about seat belts...

I was just sitting and remembering the 'good ol' days'. The days back when a seat belt violation was only $25, and they had to have a different reason to pull you over...a seat belt violation was only an 'incidental' ticket and not a legal reason to pull you over and ticket you for not wearing one. (I also remember the good older days when there was no seat belt law at all) Now, they can pull you over just for that alone...and it's more like $125 after court costs, etc. But the funny thing? In Illinois, all passengers in a vehicle are required to wear a seat belt...front and and back seat. Except for kids riding in a school bus. They are not legally required to wear one. I don't know the logic behind it, because some of those bus drivers...they drive worse than Stevie Wonder. Go figure...
In California, the seat belt manufacturers were in bed with politicians.
Probably has to do with the cost of retrofitting school buses. My father is a school bus driver.
They expected us to retrofit our cars...just saying...
I thought everywhere there is a law against not wearing seat belts.
Nope
@JolietJake JJ, there isn't a law everywhere? There should be.
@Hannihar It is not the law everywhere, and I personally don't think there should be one everywhere
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
It doesn't make any sense, but nothing much in Illinois makes much sense these days.
Amen
@kobesbuddy (46532)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Add the state of Michigan to that negligence list. Citizens in Flint, Michigan dying, from drinking their tap water? Our governor should be in jail, for this crime!
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
@kobesbuddy No kidding and I'm wondering why he is not.
If you get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt here in Ontario, it will cost you a monetary fine plus you'll lose 2 or 3 demerit points. Losing points causes your insurance to spike, and that's never a good thing.
I've been pulled over a few times because the officer alleged I was not wearing one, when in fact I was.
@Srbageldog (8603)
I have never understood that either, even when I was a kid (especially when I was a kid barely hanging onto the overcrowded bus seat by the edge of my buttcheek.) Public transit buses don't require seat belts either...or for you to even be seated while they drive.
You are right about the bus drivers. Also here in Switzerland all passengers in a vehicle are required to wear a seat belt. I almost never do when I sit in the back, but I almost never sit in the back.
i laughed imagining you at the back and your husband driving!
@hereandthere When we have someone with us I usually go back and let the guest in front.
We don't have to have seat belts for passengers in the bus we turned into a motor-home because it was built before seat belts were compulsory. But as soon as we change the seats we'll need to install seat-belts. In cars, everyone must wear a seat-belt. There are also different size booster seats for children according to their weight and fines if you don't comply. So grandparents have to follow the rules too. We have so many rules about everything. Truly a 'nanny' country.
Good idea Judy.
@Deepizzaguy (13058)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
The reason the seat belt laws are in place is that government is playing Big Brother to us and some police officers that I know have told me their horror stories of seeing kids dying in their arms in car accidents because they did not wear their seat belts.
And then you have people getting their necks broke when the car rolls over, the roof crushes, and the seat belt held them upright
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Geez @JolietJake , I remember when cars never had seat belts. And boy are you right about the school bus thing. Now that is just stupid that there aren't any on them.
Why don't you come over here and you can drive anywhere without a seatbelt.
In my country, seat belt laws started in cars a lot before than in school buses. The last law is that kids under 9 have to have toddler´s seats in the back. Fortunatly my youngest granddaughter is not the heavy kind. I bet some children will not have seat belt as big as their butts.
@kobesbuddy (46532)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I've heard of an entire bus filled with kids, being hit by a fast moving train! That bus driver was drunk:( Those kids are not safe, riding back and forth to and from school, without any seatbelts!
I agree Kharla.
@kobesbuddy (46532)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Hannihar Our poor kids!
@kobesbuddy Yes Kharla I agree.
@Genipher (5136)
It's the same with an RV. The kids don't have to use seatbelts. Which, to me, is scarier because things shift around and were jolted from side to side while driving. I wonder why it's okay to not have seatbelts in an RV but it's required in almost every other vehicle?
Yeah I don't understand the no seat belts in school buses when it's a law for all other vehicles. Seat belts can go either way, they can save but they can also kill.
@Kosgey (1214)
Its fr a good reason to avoid fatalities in the roads.