My Blue Ribbon Baby Quilt

Winston Salem, North Carolina
I was going to share this project as a complete UFO (unfinished object), but since I managed to complete the project from concept to completion in less than three weeks I don’t suppose it really falls into that category. September was a month of scrambling to finish projects in order to make the fair entry deadline, but now my quilting supplies have been put away for the time being. I’m still sewing, and I’m still scrambling to try to get things finished, but now I’m focusing on theatre costumes. Every now and again I read a discussion here in which the writer complains about being bored. One of these days I might give boredom a try, but I don’t expect to have the time to experiment in the foreseeable future.
I don't have time to be bored either. Lol. That is another beautiful piece you made!
Thank you! Right now I'd be happy to have enough time to actually get on top of the household chores (I probably shouldn't be frittering on MyLot at the moment, but a girl has gotta have a few minutes of downtime every now and again).
@Platespinner I totally understand and agree. This is my "me" time when I'm on Mylot and I make sure to manage it wisely so no one suffers from my being here. The chores will still be there after your off Mylot so it's okay, you will get to them.
@LovingMyBabies I wish those chores would disappear when I ignore them. No such luck.
Beautiful baby quilt. You do nice work.
Thanks, Laurel. I'm trying to improve my skills and branch out into new approaches. This was my first all machine-sewn quilt (except the final hand-stitching on the binding).
@Platespinner You are doing great!
• Guangdong, China
You have went through fulfilling days.
Life is fulfilling.
• Guangdong, China
@Platespinner enjoy your fulfilling life.
@kepweng (18622)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
nice homemade art
Thank you!
@kobesbuddy (55279)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Wow that wall hanging is absolutely beautiful! I love it. Boredom I've not experience that, in my entire life. There's far too much going on, to take care of. Then, my day is all over and I go get some sleep!
It's actually a baby quilt, not a wall hanging (though I suppose it could be used as such). I've edited my title since I didn't actually state that it was a baby quilt. Thank you!
@kobesbuddy (55279)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Platespinner I apologize! When it's hung up, it's just as pretty!:)
@kobesbuddy No need to apologize. I'm the one who neglected to be clear. I usually hang my smaller quilts on the clothesline to take photos. I have a big Christmas quilt that I finished last month as well, but I have to figure out who to take a decent photo of it without getting it dirty. Daylight is best for pictures, but it's wet and muddy outside.
@Morleyhunt (20995)
Somehow I missed this discussion (and completed quilt). It must have been shared in the week I was getting the grands, beautiful job.
Thanks. I had to get creative with the prairie points. Since I foolishly machine quilted all the way to the edges.
@Morleyhunt (20995)
@Platespinner I've done that....that's how I know the machine done on the long arm will not be getting prairie points.
@Morleyhunt I really REALLY wanted this quilt to have prairie points. So I attached prairie points and put binding on the back. The corners ended up a little bulky.
• Austin, Texas
Moms or parents should store away the quilts and give them to the children when they have their babies. The children should continue the tradition. Just me thinking wistfully.
I have the baby quilts that were made for my children tucked away for when grandchildren begin to arrive.
• Austin, Texas
@Platespinner - Two thumbs up and two hearts for thinking way ahead!
This quilt is very nice. I have never time to be bored, I was possibly a kid last time I got bored.
I'm the same way. If I don't have something that I HAVE to be doing, I will find something that I WANT to be doing. People who grumble about being bored tend to irritate me to no end. I want to tell them to get involved in life!
@Platespinner Many times my neighbors looking at me doing something outside (painting the fence, planting, weeding) tell me that if I have no work I invent something to do. It's better than to feel bored.
I'm never bored because I have a lot of things to do not only from work but when I have free time, I do my crafts or I mylot. So there's no room for boredom and I think it's the same thing with you. Don't give boredom a try, I'm sure you won't like it.
There are days when I think boredom might be nice for a bit. I might get enough sleep, my kitchen might actually be clean more than it's dirty.... but every time it looks like my schedule is going to ease up I find myself tackling something new.
@Platespinner And that makes life interesting. No room for boredom.
@Daelii (5936)
I love the mix of colors! I can't believe you made that in only 3 weeks!
I had planned on starting it earlier, but life conspired to keep me from working on it. I had to work my butt off to get it finished in time to enter into the fair.
I can't imagine feeling bored, but I think that busy is better then boredom. I think that your quilt is adorable and it deserves the ribbon hanging beside it.
When I'm not busy with things I HAVE to do, I manage to end up busy with fun stuff. I like the fun stuff.
While you have a machine and material, I can't see you ever being bored. Congratulations on the prize-winning quilt. It's lovely. Have you ever competed against your sister?
I don't want to compete against my sister. There would be no competition. She's been doing this for a LOT longer than I have. The only competitive edge that I can claim is having my own artist-in-residence.
I do not have time to be bored either. Love the quilt!
Thanks, Andria, I am quite pleased with how well it did.
Beautiful work.
@dgobucks226 (13787)
Very intricate work! I am sure it keeps boredom at bay.
Boredom isn't something I have time for.
@dgobucks226 (13787)
@Platespinner I bet not! Making those quilts must be time consuming, lol.
@cahaya1983 (10038)
Exactly my thoughts Boredom seems too impossible for me. I love your quilt design, by the way. Do you sell your projects after the contest?
My goal for this year has been to get an Etsy shop set up. Unfortunately, I keep getting sidetracked by other things. If I can get a handle on the costuming situation I hope to set some time aside to a shop set up and start listing some of my items for sale.
@cahaya1983 (10038)
@Platespinner Hopefully you can do that soon.
This is beautiful!!
Congratulations on the blue ribbon. The quilt is beautiful and certainly deserves it. Boredom is for people who lack adventure and have nothing to do. You are always busy, you also have children under foot, and they will always keep you busy. No boredom allowed in the growing up years. No boredom allowed as a grandma either, when it comes time for that in your life. I'm not bored either. I have too much to do to be bored.
@Shellyann36 (11273)
That is a very nice piece. I love the colors. I wish I had the patience to sew.
• Uzbekistan
What do you do with the quilts you make? Is this a gift or are you going to sell it?