Facebook and Instagram down, is it a sign that the end of the world is not far ?

@topffer (30521)
France
When I see that even Le Monde, the most serious French newspaper writes a small article to tell that Facebook and Instagram were down today, the FB dashboard included, I conclude that it is a very important news. Can you imagine your life without Facebook and Instagram ? PS: I have had a pear with a black chocolate mousse for dessert.
I live life every day without Facebook and Instagram and somehow survive.
@topffer (30521)
• France
I never have had Instagram and I deleted my personal Facebook account long ago, I can live without telling every day to the world waiting for that what I do of my life.
• Eugene, Oregon
The dessert sounds heavenly! I was happy to see that my FB account is working, but rarely use it.
@topffer (30521)
• France
The dessert was good, I cannot tell it on FB, I have deleted my account long ago.
It's back now, for me at least. That was two of the longest hours of my life.
@topffer (30521)
• France
You were not alone for what I read.
Where was I . . . I didn't even know FB was down (and I check in almost everyday!). I haven't even dealt with Instagram yet (and perhaps I shouldn't). There was a time when I did not have an FB account whenever it seemed like everyone on the planet was already on it. I finally jumped in, and it's as if the world was waiting for me. I was so obsessed with FB . . . I could be there morning, noon, and night . . . I had to have my FB, cream, and sugar . But now - eh - I'm over it (well almost) - and frankly sometimes I wish they could just shut it down since I may never have the nerve to deactivate my account on my own - that would be doing me a favor! Oh - did you make that dessert? Do you have some for me !
@topffer (30521)
• France
No, I bought the mousse already made. It is not that difficult to prepare a chocolate mousse, it takes only a few minutes, and I made some for groups of diggers in summer, but it is more easy to prepare it for several persons than for just one... I have closed my personal FB account when I realized that my best friends had no account and were able to live without it.
@topffer I've never made mouse before . . . oops I meant mousse (well, I haven't made either of them ). But I quickly looked up a recipe - yah, I guess it would not be so difficult. It seems I have all the ingredients on hand - I should try. What kind of pear . . . and was it raw or cooked? I noticed many of my friends still have their account, but they don't go on FB as often. I think we are all lurkers . We can live without it. There is still such a thing as a phone and email . And hey, what a novel idea to actually visit a friend in person!
@topffer (30521)
• France
@much2say The pealed pear has been cooked during 15 mn inside boiling water+sugar (a light syrup). It was a red William pear, but it does not matter. Usually I only put hot chocolate melted in the microwave on the pear, here I put it in pieces in the mousse. Simple and good. I also never made mouse. We are losing more and more human contacts. Several friends who were calling in the past, are just now sending messages or emails most of the time. Not the same.
@Daljinder (19821)
Facebook is working for me now. I don't use Instagram. Next date for the end of the world has been announced. I think October 15. I shall see you on the flip side then!
@topffer (30521)
• France
October 15th is the last day to pay my local taxes, I should have perhaps waited to pay. I found very surprising to find this news on a serious newspaper. It seems that a failure on Facebook affects many more people than what I would have thought.
@Daljinder (19821)
@topffer Facebook might seem like a waste of time most of the time but it does serve a purpose.
@alberello75 (13491)
• Genova, Italy
As saying, the world is almost at.... dessert! But first when neither Instagram nor Facebook existed? The world was already finished? For my experience, Instagram not even installed on my device. While rarely, I work on Facebook! Moral: I can do very well also without them. But someone, definitely not!
@topffer (30521)
• France
I had my dinner very early tonight. I am asking myself how these people were living before 2004? Indeed, most of us would be able to continue to live without social media.
@alberello75 (13491)
• Genova, Italy
@topffer think just to the cell phone, only twenty years ago about, it became affordable for everyone. (before they were to much expensive!) Today you can get out of the house without cell phone? I'm not for the first!
@topffer (30521)
• France
@alberello75 Since I have had a stroke, I tend to keep the phone always in my shirt, just in case something bad would happen to me at home, but my phone is in plane mode most of the time, and I would be able to live without it. It would be more difficult for me to live without emails.
I was really interested in the pear and black chocolate mousse!
@topffer (30521)
• France
With Facebook not working, it was my only way to give this important precision about my life to the world. I have no more Facebook account since years.
@topffer How do you let people know when you wash your hair? Vince is on FB but I've never bothered. Our niece tells the whole world every little thing she does. I can't stand that sort of thing. I'm getting old and crabby I think.
@topffer (30521)
• France
@JudyEv As I am a bit snob, I am considering to start my own mailing list to tell to my future fans when I wash my hair and what I have for dinner. I have not noticed in Bordeaux that you were old and crabby, but maybe were you in a very good day.
@vandana7 (57466)
Absolutely. Its ages since I went there anyway...and my account has been hacked.
@topffer (30521)
• France
I could have done that to know more about the hidden life of a vampire. Or maybe it was DE. You would not find me, I have deleted my account circa 2009.
@vandana7 (57466)
@topffer .. I am watching those wild fires in CA, so sad..so very sad...........
@topffer (30521)
• France
@vandana7 I have not seen that yet. It is a recurrent problem in California.
• Denmark
Conspiracy theories will soon abound! I can imagine life without facebook and instagram without problems. I don't use either.
@topffer (30521)
• France
I also do not use them. You and me will survive at this disaster.
• Denmark
@topffer I'm sure there will be some other oldies with us! When I was still a teacher, I said to a 15-year-old pupil, "Believe it or not. There was life before computers." He answered from the bottom of his heart, "Thank God, that I didn't live then."
Poire belle Hélène? I love it! I have read that many were unable to see their profile in FB, I had no problems at all, weird.
@topffer (30521)
• France
You probably did not noticed it, it seems it was a global problem that lasted 1 to 2 hours depending of the place.
@topffer JJ posted he had the problem, I immediately logged in and I was able to see my profile, his profile and the post he made there (it showed "posted 7 minutes ago"). At the same time other users said they had the problem, I kept my FB profile opened all the time and I did not encounter any problem.
@topffer (30521)
• France
@LadyDuck You have been lucky then, Facebook said that they faced several outages, I do not know how their servers are organized, but it is possible that a few servers were not concerned.
The world would stay spinning normally, haha!
@topffer (30521)
• France
Who knows ? Maybe Zuckerberg would be hanged up if it was lasting long.
@topffer Hahaha!!... Zuckerberg the master. Like "The Hunger Games" movies?
@topffer (30521)
• France
@TheInvisibleMan Yup, part one, Catching Fire.
@sabtraversa (9793)
The pear season is back! Yum yum! So happy to hear the biggest websites are vulnerable as well! I don't depend or am addicted to social networks, although I use them, I didn't even notice the sites went down so it didn't bother me at all.
@topffer (30521)
• France
Lol, there are summer pears, autumn pears and winter pears, it is the pear season quite all the year, except if you eat only a specific variety of pear. Anna said in her response that Italy was not affected. It was more looking like a failure on a server than an attack, but Facebook will probably never explain what it was exactly.
@topffer If Italy wasn't affected, I guess that's another reason why I didn't notice. I see, it seems like most varieties are picked locally during the fall here, so I always think of pears as something autumnal, like chestnuts and pumpkins.
@topffer (30521)
• France
@sabtraversa Maybe you have a popular variety picked in fall in your area ? There are hundreds of varieties but only a small number are available in grocery shops. All are not good, or just good enough to feed pigs or prepare "poiré", the equivalent of cider with pears.
@YrNemo (8433)
Thanks for giving me a good laugh. That reminded me of the time when my husband was first introduced to Facebook by his darling sister. He was so excited at first, for a few hours. Then he cursed, and more afterwards. I asked him what had happened, he said, 'Can you believe it! I thought it alerted me to some interesting news, but for the last several hours, it has been my dang sister who needed to go to the toilet, or she just went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, I swear I got alerted even whenever she needed to sneeze!'
@topffer (30521)
• France
Absolutely vital news, your husband could not have lived without them.
@YrNemo (8433)
@topffer by the way, do you use linkedin at all? Someone told me that that network could be useless, and that one top surgeon in Europe has his linkedin account for the last decade as 'a chef'
@topffer (30521)
• France
@YrNemo I have been invited to join as I have a few colleagues who have an account, but I never created one. The only social media site where I had to create an account is academia.edu, some people having decided that it was the easiest way to communicate a large article. It is a good way, but with a problem : you have to register to download an article, it is how they managed to have a large database of scholars.
• Peoria, Arizona
Really, another person would create apps like facebook and instagram but no matter what, the world would continue to go on.
@topffer (30521)
• France
I guess some people would be able to adapt and live without Facebook, but maybe not all people addicted to Facebook.
• Peoria, Arizona
@topffer I went a year without facebook haha I like it on here much better haha
@topffer (30521)
• France
@DesirousDreamer Alright, I count you among the survivors.
@topffer You mean I can't access it with my 'dummy station' through the 'main frame' and My Dial up connection is down? LOL
@topffer (30521)
• France
It was not working, even with your high speed 28k dial up modem.
@topffer I see you got my reference to it being out dated and not so interesting anymore! LOL
@topffer (30521)
• France
@Berniezeitler I got only a part of the reference before you explained it.
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
I never missed it, tbh. Wonder what happened?
@topffer (30521)
• France
I have seen a map, and it looks like a big system failure. It seems to have mainly impacted USA and Europe, but maybe they are the places with the largest number of FB addicts. I doubt that Facebook will communicate about it.
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@topffer Malicious denial of service, or system failure, I wonder. I suspect you are right, we will never know. One of the big cellphone providers had a massive loss of service here yesterday, EE.
@topffer (30521)
• France
@pgntwo An attack targeting a central server is also not impossible, I do not know how FB is organized. Some cellphone networks seem to have more troubles than others here, but they also rarely tell the reason.
• Midland, Michigan
Interesting dessert idea. I have signed up for instagram, but don't use it at all yet, and I don't use facebook the way that everyone else does. It is a nice way to keep up with family, but even then I don't look to see what everyone is up to very often at all. I do play facebook games though, but mostly by myself, so if either or both sites did die off, it wouldn't bother me too much.
@topffer (30521)
• France
I do not contest that it might be useful to stay in contact with family members, but nobody in my close family has a Facebook account, and also not a friend. I had created one long ago and I decided to delete it. It is the only online site where I spent some time on games, they are addictive.
• Midland, Michigan
@topffer Yes,, games are very addictive, although I've played solitaire on the kitchen table before for hours on end with an actual deck of cards, and that can be addictive too, but for some reason not so much. Much of my family from out of state have a facebook account, but I still don't look at it all that much.
@ebanreb (4746)
Are you kidding? No one knows when will be the judgment day.
@topffer (30521)
• France
I am perhaps kidding, yes.
@ebanreb (4746)
@topffer hahaha ok
@bunnybon7 (33027)
• Holiday, Florida
oh man i can do with out FB and don't use instagram at all. it does seem very scary though. but i can't do without a pear and mousse yum !!
@topffer (30521)
• France
I agree with that, I would be less disturbed by the disappearance of Facebook than by the disappearance of chocolate. This would be a real world disaster.
@bunnybon7 (33027)
• Holiday, Florida
@topffer most certainly
@kepweng (6288)
what the Connection of fb and instgram or social medias in the end of the world??
@topffer (30521)
• France
It might be the end of the world for people spending all their free time on them.