Not as Calm as I Thought

My husband is always calm. He could be the poster child for "CALM." I have never observed my husband in action when he has communicated with a computer, interactive voice response (IVR), via the phone. After I made six calls to a variety of companies to solve a dilemma with my elderly dad's medication, my husband said he would do call number seven. My hero! I sat beside him to feed him necessary information pertaining to my elderly dad for call number seven. I was impressed when my husband calmly answered "Yes" or "No" when prompted by the computer during this phone call. What a guy! I was also impressed with the gentle touch my husband used to enter a variety of numbers in response to commands using the keypad on the phone. Amazing! However, after my husband experienced a few "Press the pound key to return to the previous menu," "Let's try that again," "I'm sorry, I do not understand," and "I'm sorry, I do not recognize that number," whatever calm my husband had flew right out the window. My husband's "Yes's" and "No's" became louder and louder, with a hint of anger included for good measure. The entering of numbers using the keypad on the phone became the pounding of each number using the keypad on the phone. When my husband finally reached the real human, he was incredibly calm and extremely polite. If a call number eight becomes necessary, I think I will handle that one.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
Those automated computer phone calls can do that to a person.
He turned to me and said, "This is nuts." Dealing with pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies, and pharmacies takes one on a wild ride.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 Dont' forget the credit card companies they are bad too.
@fishtiger58 Oh yes. A nightmare!
I guess you found his patience limit! Kudos to him because he lasted longer than I would.
He turned to me and said, "This is nuts!"
@bunnybon7 (31646)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 thats how i feel about the whole automated mess
@LoriAMoore (8833)
Oh yeah, my hubby curses at the voice commands and calls them ugly names.
My husband said some bad words too, but did not want to mention that.
@nanette64 (12423)
• Fairfield, Texas
That's me @LoriAMoore .
• Denmark
My husband shouts at the telly. @LadyDuck My husband is Libra.
It is hard sometimes to remain calm when dealing with those automated calls. They can be quite frustrating,
I can imagine that the elderly have a very hard time. My dad, when he was in his 80s, just drove to his doctor's office to make an appointment because he could not hear or understand the commands.
@Corbin5 I can see how that would be easier. It can be stressful.
@peachpurple (7394)
Not everyone has that kind of patience, your hubby is considered cool
I am the one that is not calm most of the time, and he calms me down. Rather odd to see him get so frustrated.
I now someone that way and it's refreshing to me.
The majority of the time, he is very calm. He calms me down.
sorry to hear all the problem there.Can you block the callers there.I do on my cell phone.
Well, we had to call CVS Caremark to arrange delivery of his medications to the nursing home. Due to a change in the company, Dad's medications were not arriving. A big mess.
@Corbin5 wow that is a big mess there.
@bunnybon7 (31646)
• Holiday, Florida
I sure understand. i always get really upset and mad over these new automated things. they never seem to understand words. i always picture people sitting in the office background laughing at this. too
I bet they are laughing at us too!!!
Typically Pisces, we are calm and relaxed until something does not push up out of our comfort zone.
Yes, my husband the Pisces, like you, is much calmer than Scorpio me. I think our neighbors heard his loud voice and they now know all my dad's personal information.
@Corbin5 The day I got really angry with our Internet provider I saw my husband coming inside the room looking at me with a scared expression.
@nanette64 (12423)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 and @LadyDuck ; you can imagine what a Taurus (me) sounds like can't you? I know more hyphenated and 4-letter words than you can count.
@RubyHawk (20929)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't like to make those calls. they drive me frantic before I get a real person. It isn't easy to speak politely when you finally get there..
Yes, I commend my husband for being so nice to the human we finally reached.
@RubyHawk (20929)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 He's a gentleman.
After so many calls and hit this for this and this for this, it becomes very annoying. I liked it better when an actual person answers the phone.
Me too! I bet a lot of people just hang up. No way could an elderly person handle that. When my dad was in his 80's. He would just drive to his doctor's office to make an appointment to avoid all those prompts coming from a non-human.
I think we have all had that voice menu from H E double toothpicks. My strategy is to just say agent, over and over again..until the computer or AI finally gets the message!
Oh, thanks for that tip. I never knew that. We will definitely say "agent" in the future!
@Corbin5 It does help..because the voice menu can only do so much.
A situation like this would drive me crazy too. At least your husband was able to revert to calm and polite once he reached a 'real' person.
Yes, he was a total gentleman with the real person on the phone.
@Corbin5 Vince manages to keep his cool on the phone too. Even if he has quite an argument with them, he usually manages to finish up with something positive.
@JudyEv My husband does the same. He thank the real human profusely for her help.
That is probably a good idea for your keyboard and phone. Any more pounding out the numbers and both would be history. It's good to know he is calm most of the time. I totally understand the aggravation associated with automated robots on the phone.
Yes, he is such a mild-mannered fellow the majority of the time, but since he was doing this for my dad, I think he wanted to get things done right.
@Corbin5 Sometimes that doesn't work - especially when you're dealing with the automated telephone system
@ridingbet (34741)
i hope the automated answering calls will no longer make your husband angry.
Well, it was interesting to watch him raising his voice more and more due to frustration.
@ridingbet (34741)
@Corbin5 talking to an automated machine can be stressful and i hope your husband toned won later. hahaha
@ilocosboy (28514)
Still, I can say you husband is very calm,
Yes, the majority of the time, he is very calm. I am the one who is not the calm. We are opposites, for sure.
@ilocosboy (28514)
oh, that is so like us, me and my wife Lisa,
@Blondie2222 (16915)
I know how your husband feels. I deal with that at work when I have to call insurance companies and then have to deal with the long wait as well. Glad it's done with though and he was helpful to you
It was kind of funny to see him frustrated due to the fact that he never becomes rattled.
@Blondie2222 (16915)
@Corbin5 yeah i'm sure you won't see that again for awhile
@alberello75 (12078)
• Genova, Italy
Your husband can stay calm in a situation that many people would bring to anger. I would say "a real talent!" Even here in Italy, for most services, there are interactive voices with a "sequence" of keys to press, until finally is possible talk with a real person!
Yes, all humans want to do is talk to a live person.
@alberello75 (12078)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 You right! The automatic voices, for me are boring.....Just wasted of time!
@Ithink (4777)
I had to giggle, he is way better then mine is with anger management with the phone calls like that. I have to the calling or we might not have a phone! lol Now I lose it when I get calls from them with all the spam and con calls.
A phone, cell phone or landline, has never been a friend of mine. I despise talking on the phone.
@Ithink (4777)
@Corbin5 It can irritate me but I can deal with it. Non irritating is family and friends most of the time.
Yikes. Hope no call 8 is needed
Me too! Those calls could cause one to lose any sanity they have.
@Corbin5 yes they could.