who - or what - am i?

The GCSE English class that I support in had some homework to do. I had a go at it too, during an Art & Design lesson ... Someone has just turned out the light. The room is pitch black. No, blacker than pitch black. I can see nothing. Oh, but wait! I'm adjusting to the darkness. Yes! It's becoming lighter, the room taking on a gloomy grey glow, dark shapes emerging as I become accustomed to the different light. This light, the only light to penetrate the four walls, shines faintly through the thin fabric of the floral curtains hanging at the window. I believe the curtains are in autumnal shades, the oranges, yellows and browns which are scattered on the pavements outside. I noticed that before the light went out. It made me nostalgic for a time when I was more of a free-spirit, enjoying my youth in the fresh air, feeling the rain and the wind against my very being. But those days were long ago, and my memories are hazy, a jumble of merry men with horns and dogs, lovers entwined in spring bluebells at my feet, and the scratches and kicks that I suffered at the hands of children as they played. And pain. So much pain. A thud on my back brings me back to the present. It was soft and nothing comes of it. I can see more now. Near the window I see the silhouette of a woman. She gazes down into the garden below, her hair caught up in a bun on her head. I cannot see her features, but I hear her gentle hum, a sound as sweet as honey. Her left hand rests on the crib beside her, gently rocking it to and fro in smooth motions, ripples on a cool blue lake. There! Another soft thud on my back. A whisper from behind me. I hear a click and brace myself for what will happen next. And then, I simply swing open, light fills the room once more and the woman turns towards me, a smile of pure joy on her face. ... I am a ...
A door. Someone has come home.
Yay! You're the winner! You win my admiration. :)
@Poppylicious Whew!! Had to read that thing 3 times!!!!!
@Corbin5 I thought it was fairly obvious, but on reflection it was a tad ambiguous! I suppose it helped that I wrote it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have had a clue. ;)
@peachpurple (12770)
Awesome
Thank you. :)
@peachpurple (12770)
@Poppylicious you are welcome
I am a angel?what do I know.You got me on this one
You are an angel, but that isn't the answer. ;) {I'm a door}
@YrNemo (14703)
I thought it was a ball! Love the writing style you used there.
No, not a ball. But that might be an interesting perspective!
@YrNemo (14703)
@Poppylicious Ouch, I see that Corbin5 was right in guessing that it was a door.
@cahaya1983 (10038)
Aw, I read this too late! Nice piece!
Thank you. :)
@xFiacre (5116)
@poppylicious Can I join your class?
You wouldn't enjoy it. It's full of sixteen and seventeen year olds, rowdy and noisy. I'm The only one who does the homework and the teacher doesn't even mark It!
@ourlot (993)
What is GCSE?
General Certificate of Secondary Education. Basically it's the name of the exams most pupils in the UK take at the age of sixteen.