Nothing Went Right But That Was A Blessing

Anniston, Alabama
For weeks this one tenant has been blowing fuses or tripping the Breakers and I told her the electrician said it was something shorting out or she just had way to much going. But I fixed it by replacing all the fuses and everything was okay for another 10 days. She calls Saturday and said its doing it again every time I use the microwave. I told her I would get the guy out to work on it. Monday I set up the appointments with ALL the tenants I needed to work in their houses, make a day of repairs. I was to meet the electrician at the house at 9:30 am and I was there at 9:20 am, I waited and waited. I called him at 9:45 to see where he was because I know its a 40 minutes away, no answer. I called 15 minutes later, no answer. I was not a happy camper! I have to drive across town to the hardware store so I just go to the electricians business that in set up beside his own home. No one at either place so I leave a note. I go by the rental and I tell the MIL that I just don`t know what has happened and I am glad I talked to her. She said " Angie there is no need to pay to have anything fixed, I have been smelling something like wired burning in the kids room and a couple nights ago I checked the window unit and the cord and plug in was melting, the a/c was burning out. Since then the power has been fine." I replied " Thank you for telling me this. Do you have my phone number so if anything happens and the kids are not here you can call me right away." She h did have my number. And that is how some tenants do me. The tenant would have had me paid $1,000 to an electrician and it was her fault the whole time. I went to work at another rental and got those heaters in, I needed one more part for the one and the tenant said it`ll be a couple weeks before she cuts the gas on so I will have plenty of tine to come back and get that done. Next was picking up limbs at the old home place, and one limb knocked one security camera down but Tony fixed it back. Now when I got back home after an 8 hour day I had a message from the electrician from 12:30 saying " We had an emergency this morning a tree fell on a house, call me later to set up another day to fix your rental." A blessing in disguise! He was a no show and the mother in law told me the truth. A savings of $1,000. But I will say me and Tony both were asses today to each other, due to not enough sleep. How was your day? Photo is mine- one of the rentals.
@LoriAMoore (8851)
So glad no fire resulted
That was my fear.
• Marion, Kansas
Amen to no fire.
@UncleJoe (7778)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
A window AC and microwave plugged into the same circuit draws way too much amperage even if you have large capacity fuses or circuit breakers. That can cause a fire in the wall. Ask your electrician about that.
I talked to him already and he told me to let him know when to come and get that done.
@nanette64 (12445)
• Fairfield, Texas
Exactly @UncleJoe . They need to update the capacity of the fuse box. The ones in the older homes do not have the 'juice' needed for all of today's stuff.
@KrauseHome (32872)
Glad that the Electrician could not come out, but seriously wish you had more of a better Relationship with people who are renting from you when something no longer needs worked on.
She has always been a good tenant, I do not know why she did not call and tell me.
@Deepizzaguy (6843)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Pretty good day writing blogs for Minds.com and Virily.com as well as this site.
I have got to make time for virily, I have only posted a few there, what is minds?
That really was a blessing. I'm so glad it got taken care of and you didn't need to pay the electrician.
When I talked to the electrician I heard disappointment.
@andriaperry I'm sure there was. He wasn't going to be paid the hefty sum for fixing the electrical problem.
@Ithink (4829)
Another busy day, blessing in disguise is right! Nice place by the looks of it. Now you need sleep, or at least more of it, hope you get some soon.
Thanks, I like this house best. I am winding down now.
@Ithink (4829)
@andriaperry I really need to have time to me that isnt so late at night, someday, someday .. lol I made hubby come look and told him that is something I would like! lol
Glad you were able to figure out the problem and not have to spend any money. The house is really nice looking
Oh me too! Thank you, its my favorite now, I sold one that I loved but that little family was perfect for it.
@shshiju (9050)
• Cochin, India
Glad that the problem was solved and you saved your money.
Me too!
It is a blessing that no fire got started. You must be ``nervous`` all the time.
No why would I be nervous? its like running any business. I think I worried more when I ran the roofing company because it was industrial and they used hot tar, careless people got burned.
That looks a very nice house.
Thank you, this one still has the original hardwood floors.
@thelme55 (10957)
Oh my! That was a pure stress Angie. I am glad you didn't have to pay 1,000$
I was just stressed out for a couple hours, then the MIL fixed that stress.
@cahaya1983 (6922)
That was dangerous, glad nothing bad happened! You deserve a good rest after dealing with all that.
I am too. a/c units and appliances do short out all the time, some have recalls and some people do not know there are recalls.
Eveeybody need to cooperated for everything to be fix and eveeyone to be safe.
I agree, now make them do that.
I am so glad you didn't end up with a huge, unnecessary bill.
Me too!
Good looking house. Love the yard.
The back is like an open field!
@Blondie2222 (16921)
Well I'm glad to hear the late finally told you the truth and saved you alot of money. Atleast the electrician gave you a call back after getting your note. Hope you and tony get more sleep tonight...
Thanks, me too.
@1creekgirl (7438)
I'm glad you didn't end up paying all that money. Both of you get a good night's sleep.
I will with all phones off.
@Srbageldog (3736)
Good thing the MIL told you the truth. That would have been a lot of money to waste on a non-existent problem. Sorry that you and Tony didn't get enough sleep though. I am always grouchy when I am running on too little sleep. Hopefully you both sleep well tonight.
He fell asleep as soon as we got home, I am about to get to bed too.
@sugartoes (32508)
• Greencastle, Indiana
this is why I never went into the real estate business cause of this kind of thing that just KEEPS you on your toes but glad you got it all in order for a FEW days. best of luck.
I am slowly getting away from these houses, I have a better idea and will be less handy man/woman for me, new and smaller places.
@dodoazo (8287)
How terrible! I don't know if memory has served right. I have read similar situations about the problematic tenant on her failure to pay the rent and it's solved legally. Problems keep on popping up. It's good to have skill and the patience to handle them perfectly.
Yes I have evicted and went through the courts to do so and I got every cent of back rent and repairs awarded to me.