I Haven't Had a Migraine -- Or Any Headache -- In Almost a Week

I have suffered from migraine headaches since I was two years old. I really don't remember a time without them. They and the other types of headaches (which always lead to migraines) have become a consistent part of my everyday life. My neurologist's P.A. prescribed me a low-dose muscle relaxer to try to help with these. It has been nearly a week since I started taking them. Today I realized I haven't had any significant head pain since I started the new medication. I still get some brief pain here and there, but nothing major that prevents me from being able to function. Hopefully this medication continues to work. It would be nice to go through life without constantly having it interrupted by migraines!
That's wonderful. I had a migraine today, but lately my migraine medication has been working with the first pill. My first migraine was at age eight, and they've just gotten worse as I have gotten older. Maybe I shou!d talk to my doctor about increasing the dosage of my muscle relaxers. I'm glad your doctor finally tried muscle relaxers for you.
I'm sorry you also get migraines. Mine have also gotten worse as I've gotten older, or at least they've become more frequent. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor. I am currently taking 2 mg of Tizanidine three times a day. It also helps with my fibromyalgia symptoms. So I'm hoping it continues to work without any side effects popping up (the main concern is it can lower your blood pressure, so hopefully that doesn't become an issue.)
@Srbageldog I am on the same muscle relaxer, but it's 4mg three times a day. I think you're right about bringing it up again.
Hi there @AmbiePam I would not suggest increasing your dosage of muscle relaxers as this actually stunts the normal contraction and relaxation of the muscles themselves--- if you are still getting really unbearable migraines, check your diet. Keep a food/mood journal for 3 weeks writing down each food and subsequent response to that food, if you see a pattern of what you eat manifests into a migraine, you should be clued in that metabolically, you are at a disadvantage with that food source
@FourWalls (12905)
Wow! I'm so thankful to hear that!!! I've rarely had a full-blown migraine, but I've had frequent bouts of a migraine's cousin, the "cluster" headache. The sad thing about migraines is that what works for you may not work for others. I have a friend who gets botox injections to help...and they don't. I certainly hope you continue to have success with the medication you were given, and that you don't have any side effects from the muscle relaxers!
Thank you. I'm sorry you suffer from cluster headaches! Is there anything that helps with your headaches? And you are so right about that. I have never found anything to help with my migraines until now. I hope that this medication continues to work without any adverse side effects. I know the main concern is it can lower your blood pressure and cause a decreased heart rate. So far I haven't noticed anything like that yet, but my doctor did say she would monitor my blood pressure to make sure it doesn't get too low, and if I start feeling dizzy or anything I'm supposed to call her.
@FourWalls (12905)
@Srbageldog -- thank God, they are not frequent enough to warrant a long-term medication plan. When I start to feel that stabbing pain above my left eye I just write the day off, because I know what's coming.
My bf and his mom suffer from migraines. Nothing works for them even their migraine meds. Hope this works for you, for a ling time.
Thank you, me too. Even if it's just something I can only be on short term, at least it's helping for now. I'm sorry your mom and bf also suffer from migraines. They are truly awful and make it difficult to function like a normal human being. The other meds I've tried didn't help either and just made me feel weird. One turned me into a zombie. The muscle relaxers make me feel tired, but at least I'm not in constant pain. *Knock wood.*
@Srbageldog its his mom. Not mine. But yeah.. my bf is miserable alot. Goodluck with the muscle relaxers.
@Courtlynn Ahh, okay. Yeah migraines can run in families so that makes sense his mom gets them.
Wow, since you were two. What could have been causing it. Hope the meds work.
I guess it's just the way my brain is wired. Although my neurologist thinks I suffered a traumatic brain injury when I was 9 that made the headaches worse (I did have a concussion when I was 9, and they did get worse after that, although I never connected the two things until recently.)
@Srbageldog I'm sorry you have been going through those pains all your life. Hope this time the meds would really work and you can just enjoy without having serious migraines.
@toniganzon Thank you.
Glad to hear it's working.
Thank you.
@dodo19 (31967)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I’m glad that the medication is helping. I do hope they continue to help.
Thank you.
@KrauseHome (34983)
Glad that they have found something that so far seems to be working for you. Hoping it will continue to work for you, and things continue to get better from here.
Thank you!
i hope this continuously work for you :)
Thank you!
@cahaya1983 (10060)
Glad to know the new meds have worked. Hope it stays that way!
Thank you, me too!
@ebanreb (6279)
Good luck to you. Hope it will last.
Thank you.
I bet it would. I hope it works!
Thank you!
Yay! that is wonderful news.
I am pretty happy about it, even if it's just a temporary fix at least for now I am not suffering.