Mt. Diablo is gone from Northern California!

Pleasant Hill, California
We had ash falling on us in Berkeley this morning. The sun glowed an eerie red as I watched it starting to set this evening. There was ash falling in Pleasant Hill as well, 15 miles to the East. I took a picture of 4,000 ft. Mt Diablo from my balcony this morning. It is "gone." When I drove home from work this afternoon, it was still invisible. The winds are supposed to pick up this evening and make things worse. I don't think it's going to happen, but woudn't it be weird if the whole San Francisco Bay Area had to be evacuated?
For a minute there, I thought it had burned. Glad to hear that you only can't see it.
i thought so, too, and it scared me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@hereandthere I still couldn't see it this afternoon. In fact, I think the smoke was thicker.
@TheHorse must be hard for those with sensitive respiratory systems
I seen how badly California has burned. Stay safe.
@vandana7 (56711)
He is a typical boy. Let me see if the snake bites me ..and he will push his hand in front of it...I don't like boys..they are crazy.
@vandana7 okay you lost me, what does crazy boys have to do with fire on the mountain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@andriaperry She thinks I should flee. People in the East Bay of the Bay Area are not being asked to flee.
@FourWalls (8871)
All I can say is stay safe. It’s horrible to watch online from a distance, I cannot imagine the ash falling like snow (how the reporters are describing it) all over the place.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Where I was, it was not like snow. But it was still quite strange.
@vandana7 (56711)
Please consider the plight of the firemen. They would have it tough to be looking after people and helping them. They must be tired as it is after Montana and the large tracts in Napa and Sonoma..please move...pick water and food from stores as you go, that can all be burnt down anyway.
• Pleasant Hill, California
There are millions of people South of the fire and North of me. I'm watching the news (listening, actually) to see if they're starting to evacuate people further South. If they get to Vallejo, I'll be a bit worried.
I suppose it's due to the smoke from the blaze. We had fog this morning, the mountains were gone until around noon.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, it's from the smoke. They're actually shutting down some schools here today.
@TheHorse How is the situation right now? Are they controlling the fires?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck It looks like nothing has changed.
@pgntwo (20349)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
It would be a bit of a bind, all those tech folk unable to get their flat white half cream hazelnut lattes...
• Pleasant Hill, California
I feel for them.
@pgntwo (20349)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@TheHorse is the fire out yet?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@pgntwo No, it's still burning. But I believe they're starting to get control of it (them). I've seen some blue sky here for a couple of days.
That would not be good. I'm praying the fires are put out soon and rain starts falling to help put them out.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They're saying we might get some rain Wednesday or so.
@TheHorse I saw that on the weather site. The video showed it might not be enough, but I hope it helps get the fires under control.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@just4him They're moving in the right direction, I think. There was a new little fire in Novato today, but I think they'll get that one pretty quickly.
@fishtiger58 (29386)
• Momence, Illinois
That is just plain scary stay safe. I wish they would get those fires out.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I was able to see Mt. Diablo for awhile this afternoon. Then it disappeared again. I haven't heard recently how they're doing in containing the fires. The wind is calm and temperatures are cool here right now.
@fishtiger58 (29386)
• Momence, Illinois
@TheHorse the wind calming down would be a huge deal.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@fishtiger58 Yes! I hope they're calm North of here as well. The air is cool, but it's still dry, I heard.
Oh gosh are the fires raging that horrible for the entire area to be evacuated ?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I doubt the whole Bay Area will be evacuated. I'm not sure yet whether anything changed last night.
@TheHorse I am just sending lots of hope to keep you safe should any of the fire creep your way !
• Pleasant Hill, California
@enlightenedpsych2 Thank you! I haven't heard much today. The skies cleared for a bit, then got dark and mysterious. The sun didn't turn beet red as it set, like it did yesterday.
There is a Cradle Mountain in Tasmania which we believe is a myth as it certainly wasn't there when we visited the area. I hope things don't get worse there.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Is it eternally invisible? I hope so too, as far as things not getting worse goes. I have a slight cold, but the smoke hasn't affected it.
@TheHorse It was just covered in cloud and mist when we were there but we certainly didn't see hide nor hair of it.
@ptrikha_2 (5510)
Is it a volcanic eruption?
• Pleasant Hill, California
They think it may have been caused by electric wires being blown down in the strong winds.
@spiderdust (2478)
• San Jose, California
We had a weird (yet kinda cool looking) ombre sunset last night due to all of the smoke in the air. The pollution is supposed to get worse over the next few days.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Good shot. Accurately captures what I've been seeing up here in Pleasant Hill, and in Berkeley the other day.
@peavey (15650)
Those fires are so awful! I can only imagine how bad the air is. We have had fires here, with smoke blowing in but nothing like you have there now. It would surely be weird if the entire are had to be evacuated! That's lot of people! Where would they all go?
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's a good question!
Don't even say such a thing! I've been watching all of this on the news. It's dreadful!
• Pleasant Hill, California
At least the wind is calm (here) right now.
• Denmark
One can only admire the firefighters.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I do. Some of them have lost their own homes.
The smoke had to be extremely heavy to not see Mt. Diablo. Dang, those winds! That is not good. I hope the San Francisco Bay area does not have to be evacuated.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd worry about Marin County and the beautiful redwoods first. It would have to jump some big bodies of water to get here.
That’s awful! Please stay safe, and let’s hope the worse doesn’t happen.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks! I haven't heard any talk of the fires reaching the Bay Area. But I'm keeping my ears open.
While I was having dinner last night I got a glimpse of what's going on in California. Stay safe.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks. I will.
I hope the fire is out soon.
• Pleasant Hill, California
We could use some rain. Or at least days without wind.
So crazy to see how much has been lost there. I have cousins in Napa and Santa Rosa but they were not in the path of the wildfires. When growing up we also had a view of Mt. Diablo from our large picture window in Concord. It's hard to imagine the smoke making it disappear. I hope all is resolved soon.