Wow! Something So Little Made My Day!

It is amazing how something so small can be a marvelous event. My sister sent me a text this morning notifying me that she was sitting and chatting with our dad at the nursing home. Sis's house and my house are only a mile away from the nursing home, and that short distance means we pop in to see Dad all the time. Dad is 96 years old and suffers from dementia. After months of Dad never uttering our names and not showing any sign of recognition when my sister and I visit Dad, I said to Sis, "I think Dad merely thinks we are just some nice ladies who have come to visit him." This morning, I called my sister after I read her text, and she put her phone on speaker. After a bit of chatting with Sis, my dad said, "Is that my daughter Debbie on the phone?" I am over the moon that Dad recognized my voice and stated my name. I think Dad still may know that my sister and I are what he always called us, "my girls." Photo: My dad holding me.
What a wonderful surprise for you this morning. I am sure it put a smile on your face and melted your heart a bit
His recognizing my voice and calling me by name was just wonderful.
@Corbin5 Deborah, how often does that happen?
@Hannihar It has not happened for a little over a year.
How very exciting and wonderful for you to get that from your dad!!!! I'm sure your heart exploded!!!!!!
It has been a little over a year since he has used our names. Sometimes he looks at us like he is trying to figure out who we are. It was wonderful to hear him use my name and attach "daughter" to it.
@responsiveme (14417)
how wonderful to hear this.It made me smile and want to cry at the same time
Thanks ARM.
Yes, all kinds of emotions occur when reading of the love between family members.
@UncleJoe (8532)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Even the smallest Blessings can often be very big.
This was one of the best blessings I have ever had.
Wow, that is very nice, because he suddenly recognizes your voice. No wonder it made you so happy this day. Maybe you should visit him and see if he recognizes you.
Yes, I will see him today, and I am hoping he does remember my name, but if not, that is OK. He will still get lots of hugs and kisses on his cheek.
@Corbin5 You are a very good child.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm so happy for you. It must have been a great moment when he recognized your voice.
For over a year, Dad has not called us by name. What a wonderful gift I received from Dad when he called me by name.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 I can imagine how you felt knowing he knew who you were.
I'm so glad he remembered. It's not easy to deal with a parent that seems to have forgotten us.
Sometimes he looks so confused when my sister and I visit him. He is trying so hard to remember who we are.
That must be so hard for the two of you @Corbin5
That is great news. From what I understand there are times they will remember their loved ones. Those are great times. It must be hard to go see him and he does not remember you or your sister?
He looks very confused every time we visit. He is trying to remember who we are. He had a very good day yesterday, thank goodness.
@Corbin5 Deborah, I am so glad he had a good day and it put a smile on your face that he remembered you. That very hard on you and your sister and him as well.
Glad to hear he recognized your voice.
I was delighted. Such a long time since he has used my name and my sister's name.
@Corbin5 Yeah, I know I remember you saying before, you wern't always sure if he knew you were his daughter.
@Shellyann36 (8619)
What a wonderful surprise you had. I am very happy for both of you. I know how hard it is to deal with a loved one not remembering you.
Dad has not spoken our names in over a year. He looks confused when we visit, trying to remember who we are. I was overjoyed he recognized my voice.
@Corbin5 With my Granny she got to the point that she did not recognize her own daughters but thought that her granddaughters were her daughters. I know it is hard to deal with. I am glad you got to spend some time with him while he was in his right mind.
@peavey (15874)
Oh, that's awesome! My mom had Alzheimer's so I know how wonderful it is to see even an inkling of recognition from them.
Oh, thank you for your kind words. I couldn't believe dad used my name and attached my name to "daughter." I am so glad that your mom gave you inklings of recognition too.
@peavey (15874)
@Corbin5 Those are precious moments that you will never forget.
@inertia4 (26915)
Wow, that is amazing. I guess they go in and out of memory then. But he still remembers you both. That is great. And for that, how could you feel anything but elated. Even though he has dementia, I am sure he loves you both tremendously.
It has been almost a year since he has used our names. I was delighted he said my name and knew I was his daughter.
@inertia4 (26915)
@Corbin5 That is wonderful. I feel deep down they still remember. But that disease being so cruel robs them of those memories.
@bunnybon7 (33049)
• Holiday, Florida
i got chills of happiness just reading about it. makes me so happy for you 2 and your dad. i think it is because i worry about getting that and not knowing my children. so important for us
Yes, I worry too. My mother's dementia was much worse that Dad's. I was delighted to hear Dad ask about me by name and connect my name to "daughter."
@bunnybon7 (33049)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 i really hope i can hold on to my memories till i pass
@alberello75 (13542)
• Genova, Italy
Of course, for him you are "his girls" (maybe he remember when you're teenager). It's nice when your father recognized you. With his 96 years and a disease, it is not by all. For you, I think great satisfaction, right?
Yes, I was delighted when Dad said my name. Have not heard him say my name in over a year.
@alberello75 (13542)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 I'm happy for you. It would seem almost for him, a nod of improvement
you should be over the moon what a lovely surprise.What does this mean to him or you?
It means that I will always be his daughter, no matter what, and he will always be my dad.
@Corbin5 right.This can never change
• Mombasa, Kenya
What a feeling, it must be so sweet
It really was a sweet moment between a father and a daughter.
• Marion, Kansas
I love it. So glad you had this moment to start your day.
It was such a lovely moment, my friend.
I don't know why i am moved by this post. I got teary eyed. I just love my parent my family everyone. And i just can't imagine my dad not knowing me as her daugther. I wish dimetia never exist. Hugs and kisses to you all
Yes, anyone who loves their family dearly becomes moved when they read about a special moment in another person's family. Thank you so much for the hugs and kisses!
@nangayo (2301)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I know this is one big thing that has happen to you.
It was the highlight of my day.
that photo is lovely bribgs tears to n y e yes
Oh, thank you for your kind words my friend. I had tears too.