Does it bother you when people talk to you on speaker phone?

Pleasant Hill, California
I just realized that the Zen Horse has another pet peeve. It's when others, especially friends, talk to me on speaker phone. For one thing, it can be hard to tell what the heck they're saying, given that most modern technology is made cheaply, and the fidelity of the microphones and speakers is low. The other the thing that bothers me is the implication that the other person is doing other things while talking to me, and is not giving me their full attention. Does it bother you when people talk to you via speaker phone? I didn't even know HOW to activate my speaker phone until this morning, when Kaiser (my medical provider) put me on a 20 minute wait because of their "unusually high call volume."
It really bothers me and especially if there are other people there. I called to talk to them not to have everybody else listening in my what I am saying.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad I'm not the only one. May I snarl in your presence?
@TheHorse definitely
I do not know how to use the speaker on my cell phone or our landline phone. I just hate phones and having to communicate by phone. Being talked to via speaker phone usually has me worrying how private my conversation actually is.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, I sometimes ask if anyone else is there.
@UncleJoe (8532)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I don't talk on my cell long enough to use the speaker but I do with our land line. It is always very clear for both parties and I have too much to do to keep holding it to my ear if it is going to be a long conversation.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@UncleJoe I've discovered that I can sand speakers and hold a phone up to my ear at the same time.
I don't like being on speaker phone because I don't want others hearing my conversation. That just bothers me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's a good point too.
@ramapo17 (19047)
• Melbourne, Florida
@LovingMyBabies that is exactly the way I feel. It can be handy at times but I don't like it.
• Denmark
This doesn't happen to me. But I don't like calling or being called at all. Does the psychologist have anything profound to say on this?
• Pleasant Hill, California
How do you like communicating with others?
• Denmark
@TheHorse Letters, e-mails.
@Ri1089 (244)
• Mauritius
I'm the same, I only talk on the phone when I only have to, I hate it.
I hate it and for the very same reasons! It doesn't feel like a private conversation (well, I guess it isn't) - it's high annoying.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Glad I'm not alone in this sentiment.
@cindiowens (3926)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Yes, it does bother me, but my Mom does it all of the time because she can hear me better. I don't guess it bothers me too much when she does it, but anyone else does.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I wonder why she can hear you better!
@TheHorse because it's louder
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@LilyBeBack I thought @TheHorse was being sarcastic.
I've tried using mine a couple times when I got my phone, only because my son was here and trying to help me out with a problem. However, it cut out so bad, I had to quit the speakerphone so I could understand her.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, I've had that experience. I often say (to friends), "Are you using the frigging speaker phone?"
@TheHorse I usually let a person know I'm putting them on speaker.
@1hopefulman (20278)
When I call someone, I want to speak to only one person and if they put me on speaker phone, it's ok, as long as I can hear them fine and nobody else can hear what I'm saying. If there other people that can hear our conversation than I appreciate them telling me about it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I was talking to a friend once and didn't realize he was driving and had the speaker phone on with three other people in the car. Glad I didn't say anything incriminating.
@1hopefulman (20278)
@TheHorse Exactly, as we can reveal some information that was not for other ears.
@vandana7 (57490)
20 minute wait? Is that not chargeable? LOL Anyway...i use speakers in my cell phone. Primarily because I am scared to use the phone near my ears...some radiation effect that can make me perverted.
• Pleasant Hill, California
The damage has already been done.
@vandana7 (57490)
@TheHorse .. I am the sweetest Vampire Queen
• Pleasant Hill, California
@vandana7 Absolutely. I see you in my nightma...I mean...dreams...
I used to use the speaker phone and it was for others to hear the convo all at once, so I was not going to echo everything. Now I prefer not to use them. Last couple of times I have talked to my attorney she was on speaker and I could not hear her, I said so because I was doing a deposition!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope she got real and got off the frigging speaker phone.
@TheHorse Yes she did.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@andriaperry (putting my flamethrower away)
@kobesbuddy (19595)
• East Tawas, Michigan
When my daughter started putting me on speaker phone, it felt like she was always far too busy. So, I stopped calling her. I couldn't hear her anyway!:( It was disheartening, to not rate, at the moment.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Did you ever tell her it bothered you?
@kobesbuddy (19595)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse No, I didn't want to start a problem. We get along good, but she's just so tied up with other things, most of the time. I get my feelings hurt, but don't want to say something that might hurt her:(
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kobesbuddy Should I send you my "assertiveness training" handout?
@Platespinner (18508)
I don't use speaker phone and don't chat on the phone much at all so it's rare that someone else puts me on speaker phone. We video chat with our son who is overseas, and I find that feels rather odd.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't do the Skype thing, especially given what I'm wearing most of the time when I'm in my house.
@TheHorse It's our son's preferred mode of communication at the moment. He doesn't actually have a cell phone plan so any communication has to be over the internet.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Platespinner I don't mind sending and receiving emails. But I don't need to see images of people to exchange information.
@pgntwo (21717)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
People seem to like holding their cellphone in the palm of their hand, speaker on and talking at the microphone - something about not irradiating their brain by holding it in the traditional manner, ie. upside their head... I've seen it in episodes of Castle and Lucifer.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I see cell phones glued to ears as the norm. Around here, people pretend to be texting so they can avoid eye contact with others as they're out and about.
@pgntwo (21717)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@TheHorse Or strapped to an arm, with two white lumps of plastic dangling from their ears...
• Pleasant Hill, California
@pgntwo Sometimes I just want to say, Beam me up.
• Peoria, Arizona
When it came to house phones, yes it did bother me when people did that. But with cellphones, they get hot when you speak for too long and I don't want that hot piece of glass pressed up again my face or someone else's face for too long. It is uncomfortable. But it is when people start to get too far away from the phone that can get a bit annoying because they are too busy to talk and then I just feel like I am an inconvenience to them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. Time to say "Talk to you later."
• Peoria, Arizona
@TheHorse Pretty much
• Pleasant Hill, California
@DesirousDreamer I've done that.
Yes, it will bother me if I know that I am on speakerphone. I will not be able to share well the stories I have to tell, if there are others listening. If that is the case, then I would just text instead.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't text. But I want to feel the other person is having a one-on-one conversation with me.
@TheHorse I understand.
@Ri1089 (244)
• Mauritius
It bothers me as well for the same reasons you mention. I would rather they call me later when I can have their full attention.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, sometimes I tell them that. Call me later.
@Ri1089 (244)
• Mauritius
@TheHorse yeah but my phone rarely rings, only for family and such
@LilyBeBack (1670)
It doesn't bother me unless I can't hear them properly, I sometimes have to speak to people on speaker phone because they ring me when I'm listening to a podcast or music lthrough my bluetooth speaker and I don't know how to switch it off during a call :')
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh. Aren't there "pause" buttons somewhere?
@TheHorse the speaker has a play/pause button but that's never worked for some reason, I've tried switching the speaker off but then the person ringing can hear me but I can't hear them, and on my phone's screen I can't do anything that doesn't relate to the call. All very annoying!
Doesnt bother me, especially if they were doing something already before i called, or if they have kids they're taking care of .. Just easier when looking for something, dealing with kids, cleaning, or even cooking etc.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I often can't hear what the other person is saying, the fidelity is so bad.
@TheHorse I can most the time. And if i cant i tell them and they repeat. No biggy.
@nangayo (2301)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I don't like it especially when you hear the noise in the background. I only put my speaker phone on when i cannot hear the person on the other end clearly.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think the "fidelity" is generally lower with speaker phone.
Well it does'nt really matter to me wether on or off the speacker phone. But they need to make sure that i really have their ears and attention. I hate repeating myself haha. Do yu hate that too? Ha ha I use to work as a customer service representative before.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have to repeat myself to certain people who really only hear themselves talking.