Alleged Sexual Abuser Harvey Weinstein's Donations Returned

By DB
@dgobucks226 (12201)
Movie producer and executive Harvey Weinstein has made a lot of charitable donations over the decades. The movie mogul has recently been accused of sexual harassment, abuse, and rape. Many Actresses have come forward and claimed Weinstein assualted or made sexual advances towards them. The USC School of Cinematic Arts is rejecting a $5 million pledge from Harvey Weinstein in the wake of these published reports. The funding would have been used for an endowment for female filmmakers. Another college, Rutgers University will be keeping their $100,000 donation from Mr. Weinstein which will be going to a Foundation to help fund the Gloria Steinem Chair in Media, Culture, and Feminist Studies. Question of The Day Should Universities accept donations from someone who has admitted sexual wrongdoing, has been accused of sexual abuse by many Actors and Actresses, and has been a verbally abusive employer in the workplace? What do you think about it? Sources- Wikipedia and NJ.Com Photo- intouchweekly.com
I think they should keep the money and use it for good causes.
@vandana7 (65019)
Logical as usual. Why make the guy who is bad richer than he is right now.
I think the money should be accepted because it can be put to good works. The "dirty" money issue has always been debated. The church never refused mob money.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
Good point! It seems these two schools viewed the donations in different ways. One felt it was tainted money from an undesirable person, the other viewpoint is money is money no matter the source. Use it for good!
I agree with @MALUSE, they should keep the money. May be they should use the money for a foundation to help abused women.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
Using the money for a good cause makes a lot of sense. It seems these two schools viewed the donations in different ways. One felt it was tainted money from an undesirable person, the other viewpoint is money is money no matter the source. Use it for good!
@dgobucks226 The use is for good, of course is tainted money, but in this case I would have kept the money.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
@LadyDuck Understood, the source does not matter.
@YrNemo (12664)
I don't condone that sort of behavior, but money could be used for the right way somehow??? (I am too greedy? )
@vandana7 (65019)
LOL...no...I wouldn't let him have that money back as he intended it to be a sort of bribe. By spreading it among good institutions, he wanted any story about him disbelieved. Like..this person is lying. She probably did not get the role, and he is a rich man. Such a kind hearted man blah blah. So people would have disbelieved in such stories because of such donations. Returning the monies could also mean there was an undisclosed contract that gave them that money for standing up for him in case something like this surfaced and since they were not able to fulfill the terms and conditions of that contract, they are returning the monies. In simple words, it would be admission of guilt of sorts.
@YrNemo (12664)
@vandana7 I read an article a couple of months ago, some rich man donated a giant amount of money to some new university. Know what happened? He didn't check with them and trusted them to use the money wisely. They did, perhaps, but in remembrance of him and his generosity, they used his name for one of their toilet blocks. Would you like everyone to remember your generosity whenever they go to the toilet? Good in a sense, but also bad in other sense... I don't know. What do you think?
@vandana7 (65019)
@YrNemo Ah well..you do have a point there..
I think it is up to each one individually. Whatever their feelings and understanding of the case may be. I think he sould be black balled personally.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
It seems these two schools viewed the donations in different ways. One felt it was tainted money from an undesirable person, the other viewpoint is money is money no matter the source. Use it for good! With this movie producer it looks like the old adage "what comes around goes around" is coming true. I would be shocked but not surprised if he recovers his reputation in Hollywood.
@dgobucks226 ......I can see their thoughts both ways. I doubt he will ever completely expunge his rep.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
@celticeagle Yes, I can see what you mean.
@UncleJoe (9965)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I think the only one not likely to return his donations is the Clinton Foundation.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
I think that is a pretty safe bet Uncle Joe
I wouldn't name the building after the guy or anything, but why not put it to good use?
@kepweng (14954)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
they said hes gay??
@dgobucks226 (12201)
I did not hear that? I know he is married though with two children.
@vandana7 (65019)
The cut off date as far as this is concerned is the day it was proved beyond reasonable doubt that he was into such things. Anybody who knew of this before, and still accepted the donations, needs to be tried too.
@dgobucks226 (12201)
It seems Hollywood celebrities and politicians have a lot to hide! The expression two peas in a pod fits them perfectly.
Messed up but I really wish people would turn these guys in right away.