Back on August 24th, the Girls Scouts of America were quite upset

Eugene, Oregon
I wrote about this fuss back then. They were right! Today, the Boy Scouts of America announced that, 'due to demand' they are now opening their ranks to girls. I would not be surprised to see the Girl Scouts file suit for alienation of affection or something. Some say that the Boy Scouts are doing this because they are losing members and fear for their survival. I would not be surprised if this is true. I voiced the opinion, back in August, that they should leave well enough alone. Girls thrive in non-competitive situations and the boys try to take over. Now, the Boy Scouts have admitted they are after the girls too. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Were you a Boy Scout or a Girl Scout? I was neither. May the best Scout win!
In the name of fairness, the Girl Scouts need to open their doors to boys. Maybe just blend the two into the Generic Scouts.
• Eugene, Oregon
I like the name, maybe merge and be the Unisex Scouts?
• Eugene, Oregon
@JohnRoberts Oh yes.
@ramapo17 (25624)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JamesHxstatic Why not, both sexes are in school with each other all day and truthfully, now a days some of the girls are better than some of the boys.
Actually, yes, Little Mikey was a Boy Scout
• Eugene, Oregon
Very cool JJ!
I remember when they started letting girls play Little League. That was a little weird at first.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am sure it was. I was not a part of Little League.
@JamesHxstatic - Oh, I played Little League and Senior Little League.
• Eugene, Oregon
@teamfreak16 Nice. I was working in grocery stores from age 14, so lacked time really.
Girls against Boys there will be all the time competition, the best would be a mixed system. I have never been a girlscout.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, boys tend to try to take over. Studies have shown that girls thrive in an all girls environment.
@JamesHxstatic This is my opinion and this is something hard to change.
@ramapo17 (25624)
• Melbourne, Florida
@JamesHxstatic I think those are the studies of many years ago. I always loved being in competition with the boys and I could hold my own. Even to the day I retired I always did what most of the guys did in work.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I wondering if there can be an amicable way to resolve this in a way that both come out winners and ensure their survival. Why don't they merge together into one organization, and just call it Scouting or Scouts or something like that. Then they can both keep their individual troops, but meet together on the same nights for group activities before splitting off into boys and girls to do separate activities. On weekend adventures, boys can partake in girls adventures and girls can partake in boys adventures. Or something like that. If both sides truly want what's best for their organization, they will find a way to work closely together as one unit.
• Eugene, Oregon
That sounds like it could be a viable solution, Jeff. They might both survive.
@ramapo17 (25624)
• Melbourne, Florida
I think you should be a leader in a joint troop @moffittjc. You would be good.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ramapo17 I wouldn't mind being a Scout leader. I would be following in the footsteps of my father if I did.
@vandana7 (67721)
We had Girl Guide, and Boy Scout system. Yes, I was a Girl Guide. :)
• Eugene, Oregon
And I'm sure you were a good one too.
I remember your August's post talking about Scouts.Now it seems that the tables have been turned.
I was a girl scout for many years and enjoyed my time there. I think it's crazy that the Boy Scouts are now accepting girls and wonder why it has become such an issue that everything has to be open to both boys and girls these days.
@ramapo17 (25624)
• Melbourne, Florida
I think some people just like to be heard and come up with subjects that are sure to stir the pot and get some crazy acknowledgment.
@ramapo17 (25624)
• Melbourne, Florida
I was a Girl Scout and a Brownie. For those of you that do not know what a Brownie is, it is the younger version of the Girl Scout. After a certain age the Brownie can "fly up" and become a Girl Scout. I was a Brownie leader when my daughter was old enough to be in the Brownies and I had a great time. I had about 24 girls in my troop and we had so much fun. I did have a friend be my assistant and her daughter was in the troop also. When I was the right age my mom became a Brownie leader to and that was the start of many years of fun and learning new things and enjoying girls of all races and ages.
I will be interested in seeing how this all comes out too.
Geez. This PC is getting out of hand. I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout and preferred it that way.