This Morning's Breakfast Choice

@Morleyhunt (19894)
Day three of the grand sleepover (5 grandkids), started with my oldest granddaughters breakfast choice. This morning's request was.....Rice Pudding. I haven't made rice pudding in ages, but decided to try a new recipie instead of the one that takes two hours in the oven, It still took almost an hour before it was ready to serve, but it was worth every minute. Three of the five ate every bite while the youngest two Te around the raisins....what kid doesn't like raisins? Tomorrow the next child has chosen oatmeal with cinnamon and apples... That is a much quicker breakfast for me to prepare.
@Platespinner (16783)
I used to make rice pudding for t breakfast. The kids always thought it was a bit decadent to have dessert first thing in the morning....bread pudding is another good breakfast dessert . (of course, I'm the mother who fed one of my children ice cream for breakfast...)
@Morleyhunt (19894)
I believe I was the one who fed your toddler ice cream for breakfast.....but those were extreme circumstances.
@UncleJoe (10308)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Ice cream for breakfast? @Platespinner I know a lot of kids who would love to have you as THEIR mother.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
@UncleJoe ah, but you don't know the rest of the story!
That morning breakfast sounds very good.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
It was hearty...it was yummy and so far the requests have all been manageable.
It's a very long time that I do not make rice pudding, I always made in on the stove, not in the oven. My niece never liked raisins, not even now that she is 32.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
• Pleasant Hill, California
Me neither. And I'm 27 and have been for many years.
@TheHorse I am not going to ask from how many years you are 27. My niece every year says she is celebrating her 18th Birthday.
@UncleJoe (10308)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Sounds delicious! I love rice pudding a lot but if I had to keep FIVE of MY grandchildren all at one time I would start my day with a bottle of Scotch!
@Morleyhunt (19894)
I'm thinking of finishing my day with that bottle of scotch. I think I've aged at least ten years since Tuesday!
@UncleJoe (10308)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Morleyhunt I hear ya! Gopher it!
@Morleyhunt (19894)
@UncleJoe shhh! But it does work great if you want them to sleep all night.
Your dish looks delicious. Sadly, the only time I can remember trying rice pudding, it was made by my Gramma, and it wasn't something that I liked at all. In fact I remember spitting out what was in my mouth when she wasn't looking and putting it into my jacket pocket. Of course I was pretty quick to get out of there and then try to scrape it out of my pocket-funny how I remember that so very clearly and yet it was so very long ago.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
I have a story like that about my very first olive....maybe I'll write about that one day soon.
@JustBhem (39383)
• Davao, Philippines
Oh, I miss rice pudding with some beans on it. Earlier we have champorado (rice with chocolate pudding).
@Morleyhunt (19894)
Beans in rice pudding? Sounds interesting. I've served rice with chocolate pudding...but I cheated and used instant pudding.
@JustBhem (39383)
• Davao, Philippines
@Morleyhunt Woah, and how did you do that?
@Morleyhunt (19894)
@JustBhem i cooked white ricethen stirrèd it into chocolate pudding.
@hereandthere (31954)
i have always loved raisins and add it in oatmeal and peanut butter sandwiches.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
I've added raisins to oatmeal, yumm. Raisins with peanut butter, I might need to try that.
@Morleyhunt is that cinnamon on top of the rice pudding?
@Morleyhunt (19894)
@hereandthere yes it is....I added it on top...one of the kids doesn't like cinnamon.
I love rice pudding. My brother loves it too and I make him a big pot of it for his birthday or just as a surprise for him. Oatmeal is a breakfast we have often. My granddaughter loves it with brown sugar and maple syrup. I like it that way too.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
I often make oatmeal for the grandkids, but this was a new request. Brown sugar and a little milk is how we usually serve the oatmeal...this morning...cinnamon and apples plus, a little oatmeal....just because,
@Morleyhunt I haven't tried apples and cinnamon in ours yet. I am wondering if Little Miss would accept the change? She tends to stick with favorites. They try new things at daycare and I am told Little Miss gives a raised eyebrow when they do. But, she does try whatever is placed in front of her. Well, at daycare anyway. Not so much at home.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
@ElusiveButterfly this grandma has a rule. You must taste it before you reject it.
@YesWay (3454)
Oh wow I haven't had rice pudding in so long
@Morleyhunt (19894)
I couldn't remember the last time I made, served or had eaten rice pudding. It might just make it back into the list of dishes made regularly.
@YesWay (3454)
@Morleyhunt I love when I rediscover an old favourite dish
Rice pudding! I'd love it any time but especially for breakfast. Can I come to your place for breakfast one day soon please?
@Morleyhunt (19894)
Sure you can.....just let me know a little ahead of time....although I've always been very good at spontaneous.
@Morleyhunt I'll let you know in advance. I'd hate to have to wait an hour for it once I knew it was on the menu.
@shubhu3 (14275)
• New Delhi, India
Looks delicious.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
It was delicious. They ate every bite. There was nothing left in the pot.
@shubhu3 (14275)
• New Delhi, India
@Morleyhunt Wow! That's great.
@YrNemo (13412)
Oh I love oatmeal with cinnamon & apples. May I have some too?
@Morleyhunt (19894)
Sure you can....breakfast will be served around 8 AM.
@YrNemo (13412)
@Morleyhunt I'll try to be there .
Looks good..sounds like things are going good at the grand sleepover.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
We have our good moments and I have other moments when I ask myself, Why?
@Morleyhunt yes I can understand that.
@xFiacre (4592)
@morelyhunt Oh dear, I feel quite queasy thinking about rice pidding and such like.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
I'm sorry....I could serve you something different. That would set a lousy example for the kiddos....hubby can not stand oatmeal....he has breakfast and heads to work before the little darlings are out of bed.
@Scrapper88 (1333)
While I was growing up; I had cold cereal like cornflakes for breakfast.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
That's also a breakfast option....but these hungry children would finish the box and want more.
Breakfast looks yummy.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
It was as good as it looked.
I want to be your grandchild
@Morleyhunt (19894)
You don't need to be a grandchild to enjoy breakfast at my house. Me thinks, you are too old to be my grandchild. how about a friend?
@Morleyhunt LOL, so long as you cook
@Morleyhunt (19894)
@andriaperry sounds like a good plan.
I love rice pudding. I've never made it in the oven, always on the stove top. I didn't think it took an hour though. Could have, I just never noticed the time on it.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
If I used minute rice....or even white rice, that would cut down the prep time....but I only keep brown rice in my pantry.
@Morleyhunt I love brown rice and would use it to make rice pudding too. Then I got colitis and can't have brown any more and need to go back to white.
@AkoPinay (10041)
I eat rice everyday but I prefer fried rice, egg and bacon or dried fish for breakfast. I always eat heavy breakfast
@Morleyhunt (19894)
My husband and I will have eggs, bacon, toast and home fries if we want a special breakfast.. Rice isn't served all that often at my house.
@AkoPinay (10041)
@Morleyhunt Filipinos eat rice everyday especially for lunch.
@ilocosboy (34408)
who wouldn't like to live with you with that kind of love from their lola (grandmother)? Surely the next breakfast will be another hit.
@Morleyhunt (19894)
So far every breakfast has been a hit. This morning we will be having pancakes.
@ilocosboy (34408)
simple but if it comes from grandma it will always be delicious.