Getting lost in the mountains!

We ran some errands about 30 minutes from home, not familiar with the area but since we didn't have plans afterwards we decided to venture and explore. We saw an interesting suspension bridge but couldn't find the entrance, so we kept driving in the mountains for about 15-20 miles. I was holding on to my seat and closing my eyes, because the roads were very narrow, winding and people drove fast! About 20-25-30 minutes into our venture, we ended up on a familiar freeway and headed home. I told my fiancé we are never doing that again! Next time, I will plan ahead for sight seeing or exploring. I don't like surprises or the unexpected. Do you sometimes go on a drive and not know where you're going? Do you like getting lost and not depending on any maps?
We like to take a drive not caring about where we are going. There are interesting places to discover, I do not like to depend on maps or GPS, I love to explore.
I am not a fan of exploring when the roads are dangerous. I am a huge chicken.
@infatuatedbby It depends what you mean by "dangerous". Steep narrow roads are very common in our country.
@LadyDuck Oh I see, I am scared of them. :)
No, I always have a map on hand.
A physical map? Or GPS on the phone?
@infatuatedbby A physical map that I can trust.
@JohnRoberts But what about new constriction
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I love to just take off and go on back roads to see different things. A lot of the roads I had never been on before and I only got lost once. To me it is an adventure.
I am sure it's an adventure but maybe not for me. I am a big chicken especially on dangerous one way curvy roads. But it can certainly be fun in some other areas.
@minx267 (11219)
• Hartford, Connecticut
Me too.. I love just driving and checking out new things.. you never get lost for long.. you eventually come out somewhere familiar or see a sign for the freeway.. got to have fun while you can. :)
@minx267 I am a big chicken on exploring though!
Oh my gosh, Hubby and I used to do this on purpose in our younger days. We'd try to get lost . . . but since we are both from the area and know a lot about surroundings areas of L.A., it was hard for us to actually get lost. But once we did . . . somewhere near Lake Hughes area . . . the residential area in the mountains there were so dark at night and we didn't know where the heck we were going. I think we ended up close to Palmdale !
When I was younger, we'd drive anywhere but now I am a homebody. So I was not used to exploring. My fiancé had a blast though! While I was literally holding on to my seat I would be so scared if it was night time like your situation though, it was broad daylight here!
@infatuatedbby This was all before smartphones and GPS - so yah, at the time it was a little scary at night! We love to explore, but haven't tried to "get lost" in years. I have a pretty good sense of direction, so it's difficult for me to get lost on purpose.
@much2say I have a horrible sense of direction, but luckily my fiancé has a great one so we balance each other out. When I started driving, I had a GPS that pissed me off. It took forever to load. :)
Sounds very scary. I remember times like this with Grandpa.
Yes, I prefer not to !
@infatuatedbby Me too I don't like to drive on high narrow roads. The ones we drove on were gravel too.
@TRBRocks420 I am not used to it and it is very scary. :)
Yikes well I am glad you were in a car and not hiking.
Oh yes, I am not that spontaneous to hike in an area I am not familiar with.
@zarlamain (24167)
Yes, I have done this numerous times as I have mentioned in the past. I have been a passenger in many cars where we would just drive around aimlessly and get somewhere nice and tranquil. Sometimes, we'd even end up states away and relax there for the day. It's great experiences that lead to great memories. I'd recommend it. As for getting lost, we have not technically gotten lost as in that kind of lost before where we don't really know where we are.
I wouldn't mind if the roads aren't one way, narrow... and hilly. But if it was plain or straight with nice views I certainly wouldn't mind. :)
@zarlamain (24167)
@infatuatedbby Definitely! That would be pretty relaxing if the roads were like that.
@zarlamain I would be more much at ease. :)
I don't like to be lost in the certain unfamiliar place. It will freak me out.
It certainly does for me as well.
@infatuatedbby When I was young, we used to let small spiders fight each other. It sounds a savage to play with these spiders.
@Shavkat Wow thats interesting !
I do like having a map, but I learn more by just getting lost. That's how I learned my way around Colorado Springs when I was new here.
That's a good way of exploring. I am too chicken to get lost!
@infatuatedbby - It's kind of fun. It can also be a bit frustrating if you keep ending up at the same place.
@teamfreak16 I'd be afraid if its night time, but broad daylight I'll be okay. Maybe :)
@ebanreb (4066)
Getting lost in a mountain is fun and exciting.
so scary though!
@ebanreb (4066)
@infatuatedbby Well sometimes you need scary things to make your life exciting and fun.
@ebanreb Yes that is true!
That doesn't sound fun for me. I am afraid being lost especially when we are driving. If there is nobody there and what can we do if the gas is run out. Did you try the GPS from your phone? When we were back to my husband's hometown, we depended on it when we drove in the highway.
Oh yes, I am not a fan of getting lost (especially if I was a driver) but going with my fiancé I do feel safe. Just did not like the curvy narrow one way roads. I did GPS for the location we wanted to see but it said a different direction and my fiancé said all well and kept driving.
@infatuatedbby This is why sometimes I think GPS may work better from mobile phone. As we can try different apps. If one doesn't work well, we still have a backup.
@youless Yes, I use my phones GPS often too.
@JustBhem (20629)
• Davao, Philippines
We always have our way, I mean we never experience getting lost because the boyfriend is good with roads and streets. But I also want to try something new. I think it's worth the fun. What do you think?
I wouldn't mind adventuring if the road wasn't so dangerous! I'm just glad we made it home safely
@JustBhem (20629)
• Davao, Philippines
@infatuatedbby Yeah, that's what matters most. You go home safe.
@JustBhem Most definitely :)
@YrNemo (7495)
That would be too scary for me since I have too many obligations at home (mouths to feed etc ). Would love to do that when I am a bit freer, just drive, perhaps to another state?
I am too chicken, but it was during day light. Had it been night time, I would be totally spooked.
@YrNemo (7495)
@moffittjc (34467)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think getting lost is a fun part of the adventure! I love to explore when I drive to different destinations. Obviously, if time is a consideration, I stick to the main roads, but if I have ample time, I'll take backroads and check out the scenery.
Oh no no. I love being planned. I would have been more scared if it was night time, but luckily it was broad daylight. I wouldn't mind if the highway was straight but the roads were narrow, hills/mountains and curvy roads! Totally dangerous not to mention one way!
@moffittjc (34467)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby But behind that fear, was there a sense of exhilaration of being able to drive through those narrow roads and around those hills and mountain curves?
@kepweng (5803)
im afraid to lost in a city what more in mountain jungle be careful with snakes and tribes?
OH that would be scary! I am not a fan of exploring too much especially if its secluded.
That was a popular thing years ago just going for a ride. I however do not enjoy it. I would rather get out and walk so I don't miss anything. With higher bad prices I think that is what cut down on the driving around for fun days.
I didn't mind before, but now I would prefer going somewhere I did some research or something! That way I can plan where to go or visit. Gas sure is increasing, it's $3 something here.
@Hate2Iron (7325)
I hate getting lost. I have a terrible sense of direction!
As long as I am not the driver when I'm getting lost, then I'm fine!
@cttolledo (2314)
• Batangas, Philippines
Scary. My experience was different. We lost our way because of unrealible waze ap. Waze is good but there are moments that scary because not updated maps. So what we did is to go back from where we started and took another route.
Oh yes. I have been lost a couple of times when the route was not updated on our phones. But we remember which way we took so we can go back just encase.
I am too scared for that kind of stuff to be honest. I hope it will go good for you.
I made it home safely!
@antonbunot (9292)
• Calgary, Alberta
I used to go hiking with friends . . . but when we encountered a rattle snake . . . I don't go hiking anymore. So, I started to take a walk in the neighborhood to make myself physically fit. But that did not take long because I was attacked and bitten by a dog! So, now I just work out in our basement. Whew!