Going to Extra Lengths on Behalf of the Dog

I am pleased that our son never suffered from a lapse in memory or judgement on the part of my husband or me. . It is good we did not mess that kid of ours up during his growing-up years. He turned out to be tall, strong, and healthy. Whew! Now, we have Molly the dog under our care, and I sure do hope we do not mess her up.. . For some strange reason, neither my husband nor I can remember Molly's evening dose of thyroid medication. We have almost missed giving her the nighttime dose of her thyroid medication on quite a few occasions. My husband said he was going to set his phone to alert us that it is time to give Molly her nighttime medication. The phone-alert is a good idea, but a step-further was needed.. I took two tiles, marked one tile with "A.M." and one tile with "P.M." I also drew a circle on each tile into which the pill will sit. My husband will give Molly her morning medication; I will give Molly her evening medication. After I give Molly her evening medication, I will place the "A.M.". and "P.M." pills on the tiles smack dab in the middle of the circle on each tile. Those pill organizers with the days of the week labeled clearly on top of each compartment have never worked for me, and there is no way it will work for Molly's meds either. So far, the phone-alert and the tile-idea are working well. No way can we mess up Molly's feeling good!
Good idea Deborah..where are the tiles up on a counter somewhere?
The tiles, combined with others, were used by us to create a back splash above the stove and under the incredibly pricey, stainless steel range hood installed by the former owner. That guy spent a fortune on that thing, but it is pretty. Since my ancestors are French, the back splash has a French theme, as does the kitchen, and the dining room too.. Those two rooms are all the French I can tolerate. .
@Corbin5 So you have French pill reminder tiles
@TiarasOceanView Yes, even though Molly is Chow Chow (China or someplace in Asia) and German Shepherd (let's say Germany) she lives in a French home with French tiles. She will just have to deal with that.
Great idea. Molly is a lucky pup.
Well, she is lucky her parents, who have memories that are not as they should be, came up with a plan. Poor dog.
We all forget those kinds of things @Corbin5 it's nothing to be ashamed of. Just look at all those kids that were born cuz ma forgot the birth control pill or else daddy forgot the glove.
This is a great idea. The pills organizers never worked for me either. If there is a pill my husband needs to have with his dinner, I place the pill on a little folded napking and put in on top of his glass.
You have a good plan in place for your husband's pills. So far, our plan is successful.
@Corbin5 I know he forgets and when I am busy serving the food I also forget, but while I dress the table I remember.
@ridingbet (53114)
i have my own pill container and that is where i put my medicines for the day.
This is a routine activity for me every morning and that is preparing my medication for the day. My pill container has 4 divisions; the top parts is the...
That is good that you have a method that works. I need a clear one like yours so that I can see the pills inside.
@ridingbet (53114)
@Corbin5 i bought the pill container in a local book store.
@LilyBeBack (2016)
I'm really bad with stuff like this as well, it's taken me over a year to get used to giving Leonard his anti-itching medicine for his eczema
I never had a problem before remembering because my life was so scheduled due to working. However, being retired and not having a schedule allows for things to slip my mind.
@Corbin5 I'm just extremely forgetful, I'm known for forgetting what I'm saying mid-sentence
@LilyBeBack I do that too!
Glad to hear Molly will get her medication. I have a muddled brain lately to wrapped up in my own problems. I keep a calendar of the month in my documents. I write on it what I need to do and when and every morning I take a look at what is coming up. Otherwise I would probably forget what day it was.
I keep a checklist with all that needs to be done each day, or I would forget. We are muddled here too. Molly is the only living thing here who is not muddled.
@Corbin5 Just like my cat Sid who know just what he needs to do every day.
@Shellyann36 (9616)
Glad you got a solution figured out that will work for you. The pill cases work for me if they are on the counter where I can see them. I always leave them in the cabinet. Of course, this is only used for my vitamins. I remember to give the kids their meds. If I don't they get sick sick sick.
The kids taking their meds at the right time in your house if of great importance. So far, the little tiles are working out for the pup.
@Corbin5 That is so true with the allergies and asthma a day without medication could lead to bronchitis. Glad you have found what works for you and the pup.
I'm glad you found a way to make you remember to give Molly her medication.
She is like her old self again thanks to the medication.
@Corbin5 That's great!
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Hey now you're talkin'. Maybe I should do that with MY meds @Corbin5 .
I was thinking of doing the same with mine. I take one in the morning, and sometimes I cannot remember if I have taken it, and then, take it again. That does not work out well at all.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 I know right? It's like Gee whiz.
@m_audrey6788 (13622)
Nice one! There`s nothing can be better in creating ways to prevent a possible problem in the future
Yes, I am glad we came up with a plan that works.
@YrNemo (12668)
Oh dear, I didn't know that having a pet could mean extra duty like that. How long has Molly got that health problem?
Molly was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. She was putting on so much weight and was sluggish, and we thought she was that way due to age. The vet finally caught the problem when she was weighted at her last checkup and she had gained far too much weight in such a short period of time. Her heart rate, which was fine at her last checkup was fine, but this time it was far too low. We have had to administer insulin shots to one of our dogs in the past, always epilepsy medication, and eye drops for an eye injury too. .
@YrNemo (12668)
@Corbin5 I wonder if that hypothyroidism would affect humans in the same way: putting on weight at a faster rate.
The tile with am and pm is a good idea as long as no one bumps it and knocks it off onto the floor or something. With kids around I couldn't do the tile idea. I am horrible at remembering to take medicine and give medicine. I set my alarm but then I turn the alarm off and forget to actually take the medicine. My poor memory has always been so frustrating!
I have done the same with my medication. I have forgotten I had already taken it and then I took it again. Not good. Now I keep the medication in a baggie that has a clip holding it closed. I do remember going through all the motions with the clip I have to open, so that works. It is so hard for some of us to remember those meds for us or for the kids.
@Corbin5 cool idea about the clip. I usually forget to take the medicine at all which with antidepressants can be just as bad as taking double accidentally.
Deborah, glad you found a system for you. There are times when I needed to remember something I would put papers up on my cabinet so when I walked past it I would not forget. I always worried about messing up my animals. I loved my dog and cat before Sophie and made many mistakes but they turned out good anyway. With Sophie she is it with me and do not want to make the same mistakes with her and I made her fat like the other two and so asked the vet what to do. Sophie has lots of fur so hard to tell if doing right. She is very hard to take care of but when I had to give her any kinds of pills I would chop it up and mix it in with her food and she would eat it. I hope I never ever have to give Sophie medication because she is very hard to take care of so I pray all the time that she stays well.
I hope Sophie never has to take medication!!! Molly scratched her eye on something in the tall grass, a twig we think, and putting pain medication drops and eye drops in Molly's eye was almost impossible. We would ask her to go for a ride in the car, we would drive to McDonald's, park in the parking lot under the lights, and since we had her in the car and she couldn't escape, we were able to put the drops in. Then, we went through the drive-through and ordered her hamburger with no bun.
@Corbin5 Deborah, that is a good way to get the drops in her and then get her a treat afterward. I also hope Sophie does not need medication, but, when they get older something happens and they do. I hope I will always be able to cut the pills up in her food if she does need it. Thanks Deborah.
Great ideal ! Glad these method are working and Molly is getting her dosages daily.
Yes, we can't let Molly down. Thanks to her thyroid working perfectly with the help of those 2 tiny pills, she acts like a puppy again.
@Corbin5 Yay! I am glad those pills are working! I never knew dogs could have thyroid disease as well. Luckily there are meds :)
Wouldn't it be nice if she could get away with just 1 pill per day, and you could remember to give it to her in the morning when you have your first coffee?
Yes, it would be nice. Apparently, twice a day is necessary, but we have this thing all set now. Molly acts like a puppy now that her thyroid is working properly.
@bunnybon7 (36529)
• Holiday, Florida
thats great. and you must have a great vet to discover that. ours here never seemed to know why coco was having seizures. just guessed. makes me so mad that i had to make the decision not to let her keep suffering.
Molly will go for a third blood test next month to make sure the dose is just right for Molly. We had a dog that had seizures in the past, and the seizures were controlled with medication to treat epilepsy. I wounder if that is the reason Coco had seizures?
@bunnybon7 (36529)
• Holiday, Florida
@Corbin5 now i wonder too. wish they had suggested something in stead of just sending her home and saying she seemed okay. kind of the same the doctors do me.
Glad you have a way of remembering.
Me too. We kept forgetting and were giving her the medicine too late in the evening when we remembered. We have this thing covered now.
@Corbin5 thats good.
I have used the phone to alert me to take an antibiotic. That was the only way for me to remember. I get so busy that I forget.
Poor Molly cannot tell us, so we had to do something. Since the tiles are right on the counter in clear view, things are good now.
@Corbin5 I am glad you found something that works for you.
@kepweng (14811)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
good thing that you not mistaken what vitamins for molly?
Yes, we have not made any mistakes.
@1hopefulman (28534)
Yes, we need to find a workable system when dealing with taking or giving medication of supplements. I have an agenda on my table and record when I do something.
I am just glad we have a system in place. Molly is like her old self again due to the medication.