Take My Word for It!

@UncleJoe (9965)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
WORDS have always fascinated me. Not just their definitions but I find their origins interesting as well. Another interesting factor is how a word can change meaning over time. They often get used in a manner in which the original meaning wasn’t intended. Take the word “Google”, for instance. Modern dictionaries appear to have made this more recently established. Mine refers to it as a search engine but was derived from the word, “googol” which refers to an endless number. Many believe this word came into being with the internet but that is far from true. I first heard it way back when I was 12 years-old in the 7th Grade. All of my class-mates enjoyed using it. That was the year I started wearing glasses. I can still hear in ringing in my ears today, “Joe looks like a GOOGLE-eyed monkey!”
oh my what a monkey.
@UncleJoe (9965)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Yep! @sharon6345 Just too old to monkey around anymore!
@UncleJoe That is ok I think it's nice and always fun.
That has happened to a lot of words here in the USA but I have to wonder if those same words still carry the original meaning in the UK.
@hereandthere (31160)
i remember googly eyes. cookie monster and sesame street, i think.
@nangayo (2341)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Some words are also spelled differently depending on the area. Example favour and favor.
@Ithink (10673)
I never heard that one. However I love words and it amazes me how the words are used now days as in the changing of what they mean.
@kepweng (14991)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
english language have diffrent meaning if you agree on it?
That is not nice. How long did they call you that? Yes, words are very interesting. So, Joe did you make it through 7th grade and did it get better as the years went on and nobody called you names?
@vandana7 (65028)
And how did googol come about? Evil Grin.