How do you deal with rude children when they are not yours?

At some point in our lives - [i]sooner or later[i] - we'll all have the unpleasure of meeting some rude child on our way (and for some reason this child will always try to challenge us in some way ). Either in the market queue, across a street, in a library, at the bus stop, at a party and among so many other places. The question is: How do you deal with them when you have no authority over them?
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
I ignore them. It's mostly a cultural matter. In eastern cultures, specially in Africa, the Education is global. Any adult can scold a child, or rebuke him, without having to explain himself, because as an adult, he/she has authority and can determine what is right or wrong. In western culture, it's the opposite, even the child of your partner can reply to you: "You are not my Dad", so I don't even want to think about the one out there. I just ignore them
i wonder if that's the concept behind the saying "it takes a village to raise a child"?
@chris2050 (1342)
• Manila, Philippines
@hereandthere Definitely!!! I was born in a mixed family. A black Dad, and a white Mom. I experienced living in both cultures, and I can tell you that, I used to prefer France (Europe), more than Cameroon (Africa). When I went to school in Cameroon, I was wondering if people knew the meaning of "Mind your own business", when I did something wrong or nasty, like coming back home early and lying school is finish, I wasn't only afraid of my Dad, but I was also afraid of any neighbor, who might be aware of the truth. My mistakes were everybody's business. Even the farthest neighbor has something to say with the way I talk to other, whether adults or peers. And when you get spank or slap by someone, don't even bother going home to complain, because it's clear that, the person who did that, is not crazy, you must have done something bad. My Dad won't even question it, as he is doing the same for other people's kids out there. Your Education, is everyone's problem Well, in France, my own teacher was not allow to shout at me, so let's not mention spanking or slapping. Now, far from me the idea of thinking that, one culture is better than another one (as, I myself I used to hat that), but I will say, this aspect of everyone being involve is helping kids to behave
I'll try telling the kids parents of his misbehaving so that they could lecture therir child.
it's kind of awkward.
@averagejane yes but atleast you did it so that the parents will be the one who will lecture the child. right ?
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh, I have no problem with telling them to "Knock it off!" @TheInvisibleMan . Then I look at the parents (if they're around) and tell them, "Contain your child or I will."
• Guangdong, China
I will try to avoid them. If bad situation happened, I will bluff them. For I think it is no use to talk with their parents.
@cttolledo (5054)
I call the attention of the parents but most of the time ignore them.
now this is a tough one. I will go and try to the kid's parent or guardian but that's not always a peaceful route . some parents are defensive.
yes you're right. but you can try saying it in a nice whay so that the parents won't be offended.
@prashu228 (25504)
That's quite difficult, as we can't say anything to them. It depends on the situation on what i do..only ignore i can think
@josie_ (7603)
It would depend on one's perception of what defines "rudeness". Unlike adults who are expected to comport themselves in socially acceptable behavior, children's misbehavior does not necessarily mean they are "rude". Often it's their playfulness and curiosity that gets them into trouble in the adult world. We should learn to deal with their "rudeness" at their level. Failing this then tell them you're actually a witch and will boil them alive in a cauldron of hot oil if they continue to misbehave.
@rubyriaz007 (4292)
I will make them understand in a nice way,if they don't listen I will ignore them , because their parents might not like if we scold them. So its better not to notice them ..
• Walnut Creek, California
I give them the "sphinx look." It's impossible to know what their demons are. " A shape with lion body and the head of a man, A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun, Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds." --W.B. Yeats.
i gave them a childish rude face or gesture or i stare at them annoyingly. being a child is not an excuse, they were breeded bad thats why they are like that. here in the philippines lots of bad child because parents like to spoil them and tolerate them thats why they challenge people around them. and youre right the parents might 99.9percent take side of their bad child than youre complaint with their stupid child