What do you think about "Karma"?

@chris2050 (1334)
Manila, Philippines
Okay you may not be Buddhist or Hinduist, but I am sure, you heard about Karma already. A doctrine that stipulate that, the intents and actions of an individual influence the future of that individual. From my Christian perspective, my future is not influenced by my past, as long as I repent from my past evils deeds. We can't pay the price in our life, for things we regret, and abandoned, as Christ paid the price for that. Now, if you are not Christian, you may not understand this position, but my trouble is that, the concept of karma, don't seems to integrate this option, where we can escape the effects of our past evils deeds, if we repent, it seems with karma, you like it or not, you will pay. I am not sure if I understand this properly, which is why, I need your point of view. So what do you think about Karma? Is life a principle of cause and effect? Like, if someone is suffering, is jobless, etc... it might be because he did something bad in the past?
@owlwings (38155)
• Cambridge, England
The concept of 'karma' involves the concept of the rebirth of the soul because it implies that how you behave in this life influences what situation you will find yourself born into in your next life on this earth. Judaism, Christianity and Islam do not subscribe to the theory that a soul may be reborn into another body, so, really the idea of 'karma' is not acceptable and has no meaning in those religions. From a Christian point of view, there is a difference between being forgiven for sins and suffering the consequences of those sins. In other words, one may be forgiven [by God] but one cannot escape certain inevitable consequences of one's sin, whether you perceive them as 'punishments' or not. It all really boils down to what your idea of 'sin' is. Not everything (by any means) is a sin solely against God. Most 'sins' involve someone else besides God - the person you stole from or badmouthed or lost the trust of and even yourself. Until you are truly and completely forgiven by all parties you have wronged, you cannot consider yourself truly 'forgiven' and even then you may not be able to escape the consequences of your wrongful actions.
@parpande (678)
• Bangalore, India
I am a Hindu and I believe strongly in karma as I have seen few exemplified events associated to the theory.I studied in Christian missionary school and have many muslim friend as well, I don't have any solid evidence if that theory is the same in either of the religions but it should have been explained in some other way.Thanks for posting such a wonderful topic
@chris2050 (1334)
• Manila, Philippines
Thanks for your reply. Actually, it's not as if I don't completely agree with the concept of karma, I have seen people who got rewards for good things they did i the past, I have also seen people getting punish or paying for what they did in the past. My point is that, with Karma doctrine, it seems to me (correct me if I am wrong) that, it's inevitable. Meanwhile, in the Christian perspective, people don't necessarily pay for the past, as long as they repent from it. Repentance, in Christianity, it's the process of starting a new life in Christ, by renouncing to your evils deeds, and accepting the sacrifice of Christ as redemption for your sins. Therefore, spiritually speaking, you can't be held accountable for that past anymore. So, there is a possibility to escape the consequences.
@crossbones27 (15120)
• Redlands, California
Always a question that fascinates me, but sure you will never like my answer. I am an agnostic, but karma, Trump Is President, no karma here at least. Guy should be in jail. Just saying never, seen it if it is real.