Durian-flavored Coffee

@sishy7 (27285)
Australia
# 90 Here I am again with another unusual beverage… I’ll be very surprised if anyone here has tasted this durian coffee… Durian fruit itself is probably something that many would avoid having because of its strong odor. I have tasted fresh durian before, and I could tolerate the smell for the taste of its sweet and luscious meat. But to have the fruit as a flavor for coffee is just a strange concept to me. Still, there must be some out there who like the idea. Apparently this durian coffee is a well sought-after item in some places...
@kobesbuddy (19561)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Whatever people crave or they're use to, that's what appeals to them. For many it's chocolate or vanilla flavoring in coffee, which I don't care for.
@sishy7 (27285)
Yes, there's very limited flavoring I can tolerate for coffee... Vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut are probably okay... Even chocolate-flavored coffee is something that I don't really like either...
@kobesbuddy (19561)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@sishy7 I love plain ole coffee, that's my favorite:)
@prashu228 (22864)
I never tasted even a durian fruit...lol.. never heard of this coffee. How was the taste. Did you like it.
@sishy7 (27285)
Tasted very strange to me... I didn't really like it... Now I need to find someone who might like this so I can give the rest of the sachets to them...
do you have durian fruit in india?
@prashu228 (22864)
@sishy7 ohh.. hope you find one
I've seen durian popsicles, ice cream and other desserts . . . but coffee ??? Wow, they are coming up with some wild fusions. I don't think I've ever had coffee with any sort of fruit flavoring at all!
@sishy7 (27285)
And durian too out of all fruits?
@sishy7 Just curious - what country does this product come from? Did you actually drink it? And will you drink the rest of the box ?
@sishy7 (27285)
@much2say It's product of Indonesia... I made my husband finish half of the mug and he didn't like it either... So I don't know what we will do with the rest of the box... Good thing it's a small box containing only 5 sachets... We will try to find anyone who might be willing to try it...
@kobesbuddy (19561)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Where is Durian fruit grown?
@sishy7 (27285)
It's a tropical fruit... Although it's not the only country they come from, I think Thailand is the biggest exporter of durian to other countries...
@kobesbuddy (19561)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@sishy7 Thanks, because I've never before heard of it.
@sishy7 (27285)
@kobesbuddy No worries... It may not be too clear, but they look like what's pictured in that box... Prickly on the outside...
@pgntwo (21710)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
You summed up my thoughts precisely - who, in their right mind, would want coffee so pungently flavoured as to taste, and undoubtedly smell, of the Durian fruit? I have never encountered Durian, but have heard it described by Malaysian friends years ago - a delightful taste and texture, if you can bear the stench, apparently. Mind you, I have been known to hold my nose long enough to savour the taste of a particularly ripe Limburger or Munster cheese, and they smell particularly foul too, so who am I to cast the first stone?
@sishy7 (27285)
The picture was my cup of that coffee - I decided to try it and honestly, I had a hard time taking a sip as the durian smell was really there...
@pgntwo (21710)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@sishy7 And was the taste worth it? Or will the pack lie unused in a cupboard until a visitor asks about durian...?
@sishy7 (27285)
@pgntwo You got it! It's been lying unused in my beverage cupboard... I have yet to find anyone who would dare to try it...
@sol_cee (13594)
• Japan
I am from the Durian Capital of my country. ;)
@sishy7 (27285)
Davao?
@sol_cee (13594)
• Japan
@sishy7 How'd you know? ;)
@sishy7 (27285)
My colleague travelled Malaysia before and she bought some durian flavored coffee there. This is why I drank it before. It is a surprise for me because I accept it. It tastes nice in my opinion. Probably it tastes better than mixing it with Cola?
@sishy7 (27285)
Aha! I found one here who had this durian coffee... I wish you are closer and I'd give you the rest of the sachets to enjoy...
@sishy7 That's very kind of you
@cahaya1983 (9505)
Wow, I know durian cake and durian flavored ice cream...but coffee? I like the durian fruit itself but not sure if I can tolerate the taste in my coffee.
@sishy7 (27285)
No, I don't think durian and hot coffee beverage really mixed well together...
@sishy7 Exactly my thoughts!
I have never tasted this coffee. I would try it because I do love fruit.
@sishy7 (27285)
Are you familiar with durian fruit? Some find the aroma is overpowering with a rather unpleasant odor...
@sishy7 I have never eaten or smelled it, but if the smell is unpleasant I may skip it.
@peachpurple (11034)
I doubt the Americans would like that kind of taste but I sure want to try this out, where did you bought it?
@sishy7 (27285)
A friend of mine brought some for me from Indonesia...
@crossbones27 (15120)
• Redlands, California
I am drinking coffee, problem think it is made out of boot leather, care to share your tasty beverage. lol
@sishy7 (27285)
I'll send what's left in the box to you...
• Guangdong, China
....what/.?Durian??Seriously?
@sishy7 (27285)
Yes, that coffee really smelled and tasted like durian...
• Guangdong, China
@sishy7 oh, gosh...although I like eating durian, I won't eat durian candy or other things.
@sishy7 (27285)
@Behindtheguitarbar Strangest flavor for coffee I've ever encountered so far...
@hereandthere (24114)
i've never tasted durian, but hear about how delicious it is. i do eat the durian candy.
@sishy7 (27285)
Maybe not too strong in a durian candy, but you probably have an idea how the distinctive aroma of durian smells like from it.
I haven't tried it, but then I don't drink coffee.
@sishy7 (27285)
If you happen to have coffee one day, I will not recommend this one as it will surely put you off coffee for good...
@sishy7 I'll remember that. There are some teas I don't like. If I had had that one first, I wouldn't be a tea drinker either.
@sishy7 (27285)
@just4him What kind of teas don't you like? I like all kinds of tea, but I can do without hot milk tea...
Luckily I don't like coffee & durian + coffee, that sure sounds like one unique combination that I wouldn't want to try lol! =P
@sishy7 (27285)
You can just let curious people like me to confirm that it's not even worth a try after we find it the hard way...
@sishy7 Hahahahah you can share the packets (not me) to other curious people haha
@sishy7 (27285)
@infatuatedbby I haven't found any, unfortunately... The rest of the packets are still sitting untouched in my cupboard...
@1hopefulman (20269)
Durian is my all-time favorite fruit, regardless of the odor and spiky exterior. If I saw the coffee, I might try it just out of curiosity.
@sishy7 (27285)
How do they come as in Canada - fresh or frozen?
@1hopefulman (20269)
@sishy7 They are frozen but they still smell awful but taste fantastic and are very expensive. They re a treat!
@sishy7 (27285)
@1hopefulman Sometimes I can find fresh ones down here... Perhaps because we are closer to the countries that export them... But yes, very expensive...
@renicemae (2269)
Wow! that is something really strange. I'm very curious of the taste already. I wish I could find something like that here too. I don't like the durian fruit that much but to put it in coffee? That's really interesting.
@sishy7 (27285)
I can really smell the distinctive aroma of durian even before I sipped it...
@renicemae (2269)
@sishy7 how was the blend of its taste? was it good?
@sishy7 (27285)
@renicemae I can't really say it's good, it tastes strange to me...
Of course I have not, but I never tasted any kind of "flavored" coffee, I like the coffee black with no addition and it must be real coffee.
@sishy7 (27285)
I've tasted nescafe range of flavored coffee - I like their vanilla, caramel, and hazelnut flavors...
@sishy7 I had tasted some while traveling in the United States and liked none.
@YrNemo (8510)
I can't bear the durian smell very well. So far, I have been successful in discretely not letting anyone know that I don't like it, but it is not my favorite smell or taste.
@sishy7 (27285)
I'd be very surprised if anyone not familiar with durian fruit would be able to tolerate the smell... I know some hotels prohibit anyone to bring the fruit in as the smell could be very disruptive to other guests...
@YrNemo (8510)
@sishy7 Never knew that re: hotel and durian.
@thelme55 (11806)
I wonder if I would like that coffee with durian flavour. I don´t like durian.
@sishy7 (27285)
Then I don't think you'll like this durian coffee either...
@thelme55 (11806)
@sishy7 yes. I would not like it.