Do you have a unique skill?

Bunbury, Australia
Susan (@sueznewz2) recently commented in my post about cut-throat razors and said she had used a cut-throat razor and had become quite skilled at it. I responded by asking if she had added it to her CV. So I got to thinking what ‘odd’ skills people might have that they probably wouldn’t add to their CV but which are pretty unique. If my survival depended on it I could kill and dress a chook (chicken) or cut up a sheep. There must be something else I can do but I can’t think of anything at the moment. How about you? Can you touch your nose with your tongue? Maybe scratch behind your ear with your toe?
I was thinking, hm. Unique? I can do so much but I do not think its unique.
i think in your case, it's more of 'is there anything you can't do?'
There are a few things you could put on your CV that would make people sit up and listen.
Ii would agree with you. @hereandthere There are many skills that Andria has.
I can curl my tongue and tie a cherry stem with just my tongue.
i had to look up tying a cherry stem and gosh there are actually pictures and videos!
• Laguna Woods, California
@Tampa_girl7 - I have always been amazed by people who could tie a cherry stem with their tongue! How do you do it?
@DeborahDiane I watched the video. It's pretty clever isn't it? A great party trick.
• Eugene, Oregon
Hmmm. I can't think of a thing in the way of a unique skill that I have. I am not even a jack of all trades. Anne is sort of a Jacqueline of all trades though. Another thought though, I guess I can say that I can act, and not everyone can do that.
Acting is definitely a great skill. And yes, some people seem able to do almost anything.
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv Yes, some are like that.
Yes, I can touch my nose with my tongue (I do not have a big nose), but I do not think that this is a unique skill that can be interesting to add to my CV. I can find water using a diving rod, this is more interesting.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - That is very cool that you can find water using a diving rod! That is very interesting!
Perhaps you have a long tongue! I am always intrigued by water-diviners. I knew one man who could tell at what depth the water was but he could only detect running water. Vince can do this too but he has never really developed the skill - just that the rods twist when he goes over water.
@DeborahDiane I started to play and I discovered I could really find water.
I can do some things not everyone can do..fold my tongue, trill it, and pronounce things with a decent foreign accent..but lots can do that. I can't think of anything unique to me.
you have an ear for language.
@hereandthere To a certain extent..It took me awhile to coordinate my tongue to properly pronounce things though.
There are still many who can't roll or fold their tongue. I think that's pretty clever.
I don't have any special skill at all that I think would make my CV attractive lol!
I don't think I mentioned 'attractive'.
@UncleJoe (10861)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I have several unique skills that I am very bad at.
In that case probably best not to put them on your CV!
@UncleJoe (10861)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@JudyEv I won't because I don't know what a CV is.
@UncleJoe At your age hopefully you'll never have need of one now. In case you really don't know, it's a 'Curriculum vitae' laying out your various skills, accomplishments and work history. It's usually needed when you apply for a new position which hopefully you won't need.
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
Unique things? Maybe... I can make people laugh, even when they don't want to... does that count? I can tie a cherry stem with my tongue. I can hunt and butcher what I kill. I know what wild produce is edible and make passable meals from same. That's all I can think of right now.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DaddyEvil - Those are great talents! It is wonderful that you can make people laugh. You have even made me laugh a number of times!
These are all great skills to have. Making people laugh is especially valuable I think.
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
@DeborahDiane Thank you! (But I notice you aren't knocking on my door asking for any wild foods, though. Sometimes, I think you just love me for my looks, DD!)
@DeborahDiane (23746)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I am really good at yoga. I can stretch my legs out to the side and put the top of my head on the mat, with my arms sticking straight up in the air. All my friends are impressed. I don't think that would help me survive in an emergency, though!
Add me to the 'impressed' friends list! That sounds pretty incredible. I think yoga would be good for me but I haven't found a class close enough yet.
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
YEP! Include me in the impressed friends category! Hmmm... you never know what skill will save your life or at least some money in an emergency, DD. I could see how you doing that pose could distract the cops and probably get your hubby out of a speeding ticket! (grinning and teasing you!) Uhm... when I was bringing Pretty back home from college, we were pulled over and she said she'd give the cop a show so we didn't get a ticket. (Thankfully, I realized he only pulled us over because my brake light was out on the passenger side of the car, so she didn't need to do anything drastic.... )
• Laguna Woods, California
@DaddyEvil - Ha Ha! Hopefully, I'll never have to use my yoga to get out of a ticket! That was nice of Pretty to offer to give the cop a show. I'm glad she didn't have to, though!
I discovered, to my amazement, that I can twirl tassels (cough, cough, ahem - and not by hand) in the same direction and opposite directions. Nothing I'm proud of, but I did win a sexy nightie for it at a party. lol
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Ha Ha! That's a funny talent. I'm sure your husband has found it delightful!
That is amazing! So funny. Good for you. I don't think you would see that appearing on too many CVs!
@DeborahDiane I think I'm a bit jealous of Dianne.
@PainsOnSlate (20518)
I can't think of a thing that I can do that fits...except I know how to kill and clean a chicken too, learned it as a child in 4H.
Haha! I don't think everyone knows how to paint on slate so beautifully, like you do!
@JudyEv thank you, I do enjoy doing it so will keep doing it - I haven't killed a chicken in at least 50 years (been married for 50 years)
@PainsOnSlate It's a long time for me too and I have no wish to do it but come emergencies I'd be able to.
I can't think of anything I can do that is unique, but I can move my scalp and waggle my ears. (VERY useful - haha!)
• Laguna Woods, California
@jaboUK - That is great that you can waggle your ears. I always wanted to be able to do that as a kid!
My uncle could waggle his ears. As children we found it very intriguing.
@YrNemo (14703)
If the whole world relied on me to save them, guess I could make the most beautiful dress ever, from design to finish. But since we don't have to worry about such thing yet, my dressmaking skill could stay there (I am extremely lazy!).
I really admire anyone who can sew. I can't even sew straight hems on hankies.
@Deepizzaguy (14957)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Let me put to you this way. I have this unique skill to write satire material that has earned me the "spam" label from some of my haters and I got in trouble with Facebook for mocking their movie stars which led me to leave that site for Minds.com.
I'm not on FB or any other social site - except for myLot. I suppose that's a social site by some standards.
@Deepizzaguy (14957)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@JudyEv Mylot is a fun site.
Oh no, I have no special skills. Just call me "unskilled."
Can't tie cherry stems with your tongue? I've found a couple here who can do that.
@JudyEv - Nah, I can't do that. I can barely tie knots with my fingers.
I can't think of something. But I can make a person's world colorful.
That's a good skill to have. We need more colour in the world.
@JudyEv I agree with you. Some people need it so badly.
@JustBhem (42846)
• Davao, Philippines
I think I don't have a special skill, and I think I need to develop that. LOl
I don't think it is too important either way. And sometimes there are skills we take for granted that others think are special.
@JustBhem (42846)
• Davao, Philippines
@JudyEv I believe that.
@sol_cee (17302)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
I can overthink things. ;)
Haha. Well done. That hasn't come up before!
@kepweng (18547)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
wow nice Design do you cut it but beware beacuse it can be a Snakes home?
The photo is from someone else's garden. I hope there aren't any snakes in it.
@BigTalpha (117)
I am a martial arts master and have many unique skills.
That's wonderful. Congratulations.