Why Were There So Many Hurricanes in 2017?

Hurricane Frances 2004
Austin, Texas
Nobody will dispute that 2017 has been a crazy year for hurricanes! No doubt you have heard all kinds of explanations for WHY, with climate change and global warming being at the top of list for the most reasonable scientific explanation. Well I heard an explanation the other day and I'm not sure if other people offered this as a reason, but it was the first I had ever heard it. I don't have enough understanding of the weather to say that the statement makes sense or doesn't make sense. My husband said: “The reason 2017 was such a crazy year for hurricanes is because there was an eclipse.” I never even associated the eclipse with the hurricanes. Eclipse = Crazy Hurricane Season. You decide.
I've heard people ask why don't Hurricanes happen in the Pacific ocean? The answer is that they do they are just not called that. Actually they can be far...
The season isn't over yet - roughly 44 days left in it.
• Austin, Texas
What do you mean it's not over??!! Please! Say it ain't so!
@cmoneyspinner The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June to November 30. - however the most active months are August and September. A few dangerous October hurricanes in previous years include, Sandy, Matthew and Nicole. Some of the late November hurricanes were - Greta, kate, Michelle and Paloma.
• Austin, Texas
@Kandae11 - I hope they don't do too much more damage.
• Riga, Latvia
I have no idea but take a look at this link
Two massive and rare events occurring in the same week. That has certainly raised some eyebrows, and it's only natural to question wether or not there is some correlation between the two, or even if there are some strange cosmic forces at work in the unive
• Austin, Texas
Thanks for the link. That's a funny article. I like the comment about the butterfly.
I don't know why. But of course it seems that the global warming makes the world weather much more weird. In fact this year we also have more typhoons. Luckily it didn't give a very bad effect on my city. However, it caused the deads in Macau.
• Austin, Texas
Oh my! You just made me realize that I had not heard any news about disastrous weather in other parts of the world. I did hear India was experiencing a monsoon. But that's about it. Typhoons seem even scarier than hurricanes.
@cmoneyspinner I think typhoon and hurricanes are similar. They have different names and their born place are different and that's all. Basically they are both serious
• Austin, Texas
@youless - Thanks for clarifying. That's what I get for watching too many movies and TV shows. They make typhoons look way more dangerous.
Year is not over. Let's hope this year calms itself down. Seems the year is trying to end with a bang. Mankind has destroyed this planet, it's only fair that the planet destroys us back. Not a humane way to look at it, but think of the earth'so feelings. Lol. Sounds stupid, but put your 'eclipse' explanation in, and it doesn't sound crazy after all.
• Austin, Texas
There's all this talk about moving to Mars. So like ... does Mars not have bad weather?
@cmoneyspinner well, only way to know for sure is to go to Mars for years to live.
• Austin, Texas
@Whiteflash - That's where I draw the line. I am NOT going to Mars!!
Two words - climate change.
• Austin, Texas
OK! Guess we know which camp you're in. I can only say that I have found a few who disagree and think these hurricanes are perfectly normal and have nothing to do with climate change. https://globalvoices.org/2017/09/09/irma-a-meditation-on-hurricanes-and-the-bahamas/
http://ift.tt/2eQG2FJ
@cmoneyspinner thanks for the link. I'm open to reading what others have to say about climate change.
• Austin, Texas
@allen0187 - As am I. Because clearly I can't take my husband's word for anything about the weather.
• Japan
Nope, there are eclipses every year somewhere in the world. People are getting desperate to explain things but I think it's just the way nature works.
• Austin, Texas
I believe most of the weather cycles are natural occurrences. But I also think mankind is screwing some things up and causing problems in the environment that we didn't use to have.
• Japan
@cmoneyspinner Well, now, we could talk about weather modification here. But since this was about the eclipse, I won't bring that up. Or pollution, etc., either!
• Austin, Texas
@petatonicsca - For sure. A discussion of the weather could take off in many different directions. I wouldn't be qualified to engage in many of them and they would probably go way over my head.
@acelawrites (10933)
That sounds funny too! What's the relation of eclipse with hurricanes?
• Austin, Texas
My husband says he remembers old folks saying all kinds of strange things happen after an eclipse. He think the hurricanes must be one of those “strange things”.
@acelawrites (10933)
@cmoneyspinner maybe, or can it be just coincidence? Old folks here in our country also have the same belief.
• Austin, Texas
@acelawrites - From The Bahamas to the Philippines. That's quite a stretch! I guess the beliefs about the eclipse are very widespread and have been circulating for a long time.
@nanette64 (17114)
• Fairfield, Texas
OR it could be like the new movie that's out called Geostorm @cmoneyspinner . Have you seen the commercials for the movie?
• Austin, Texas
Gonna have to look and see.
@Lertka (346)
• Ukraine
It's terrible to see a storm. I think that our planet is changing and we do not protect people. The climate also changes.
• Austin, Texas
Does the Ukraine experience hurricanes?
The eclipse had absolutely nothing to do with it.
• Austin, Texas
I'm sure it doesn't. But I'm not the one who needs persuading.
@Daljinder (21025)
Hurricanes and the devastation left behind is no funny business but what is funny is the reasons people are coming up with. Nibiru is one of them Beware: the end of the world is near.
• Austin, Texas
True. The damage done by hurricanes is no joke. But I've been hearing that "Nibiru" reason for about 50 years. Don't think it was called Niburi when I was growing up. But similar statements were made. I think I must not understand what the word "near" means. Half a century has passed me by already. Added an information link in case somebody else was reading the discussion and want to know more.
Nibiru The legend of Nibiru, or Planet X (above and below, the hourglass of physical reality), is a myth brought forth to awaken human consciousness in end times. Nibiru, in Babylonian Astronomy translates to "Planet of Crossing" or "Point of Transition",
As a matter of fact, this year there have been a lot less than during 2005, when there were a total of 28. They seem more because they came all at the end of the season.
@tzwrites (4617)
And fires too. It has been a crazy year.