Favorite "Bodies of Water" Songs #8 - "Take Me to the River"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Not only have I ripped off the idea for a countdown of songs with bodies of water in the title from @FourWalls , but we also, with this, #8 in my series, have a rare match: "Take Me to the River." "Take Me to the River" was written by Rock and Roll/Gospel Music/Songwriters Hall of Famer Al Green and his guitarist, Mebon "Teenie" Hodges, in 1974. Green took the song to #26 on the Billboard Hot 100, and only stopped performing the song in concert in 1976, when he became a Reverend. The tune has been covered, both on record and live, numerous times, most notably by Talking Heads, whose boffo version also reached #26 on the Hot 100, and by Syl Johnson (#48.) And you might remember the singing fish craze of the 1990's. Big Mouth Billy Bass sang "Take Me to the River" each time it detected movement. Hodges has said that he received more royalties from that animated, wall mounted fish than from any other version. I've linked to a great video of Al Green performing the song live on Soul Train. I absolutely love the Talking Heads version, but it is, after all, Green's song. Enjoy! (Info verified by Wikipedia)
OMG! I am so old, we used to watch American band stand and Soul train, I learned to dance from watching as a kid. Like this song too.
Soul Train was a goldmine for R&B.
@teamfreak16 I loved to watch.
@andriaperry - Me too.
Al Green was a great singer: So Tired of Being Alone.
This, "Let's Stay Together," "Love and Happiness," and on it goes. Legend.
Great choice always loved this song.
It's definitely a classic. Both versions.
@KrauseHome (35517)
Yes, the original is Great... The one with the Fish though got tiring if you owned one of those fish.
I had a boss that had one. It did grow rather tiresome very quickly.
• Preston, England
Annie Lennox did a great cover of it too
She did. I love Annie. She could sing the McDonald's menu and I'd listen to it.
• Preston, England
@teamfreak16 me too - Liked her from the Tourists / Eurythmics days
@arthurchappell - I saw Eurythmics in the 80's. Awesome show.
@Mike197602 (13911)
When I saw this I thought at last, I'll be able to participate in one of the music discussions I see a lot of Alas, I missed that it had to be in the title not in the lyrics I love this song so here's a link anyway
From the album 'Hifi Sean - Ft.' iTunes - https://goo.gl/3HyQyu Directed & filmed by Joseph Pattisall for Wraith Films iTunes: http://defct.de/hfstit Apple M...
I haven't heard anything by Chrystal Waters in a long time. Gospel tinged dance music. I liked it.
@FourWalls (15137)
Al Green is smooth and soulful, and I love the originals. The Heads' version is one of the very few (a handful, at best) where I love the cover better. But that's taking nothing from Rev. Al, just saying a lot about Talking Heads.
I love Talking Heads version. I figured since you had just used it that I'd go with the Reverend.
@studylove (2128)
Who sang this song? and is it your favorite song?