THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

google  picture
Yes those were the days, back in the day when I was hooked on soaps : - Dallas , Dynasty, The Bold and the Beautiful, The Young and the Restless and many others. These days I haven't the time to get involved with soap watching - but there is one called "Generations" that I watch on weekends. So, did you have any favorite soap operas back in the day - and do you still watch? Picture shows J.R. Ewing and Bobby Ewing from the soap opera , Dallas.
@YrNemo (11181)
Perry Mason, Get Smart, Law and Order, etc.
Perry Mason made one think.
@YrNemo (11181)
@Kandae11 I think I watched everything in that series, but I could be wrong... I have always been interested in legal matters.
@YrNemo Legal shows have a lot of fans.
I loved Dallas, Dynasty, and Falcon Crest. Linda Evans wore the same dress that I had to dinner at the ranch. Mine was for a very special occasion. lol
Dynasty star Linda Evans.
Linda Evans looks a bit like you - do you agree?
@Kandae11 I wish!!!! You flatter me. I'm no 10. Perhaps a 1.1.
@Kandae11 Kandase, I think Tori Spelling looks more like Dianne.
Dallas and Dynasty were also shown in Germany. I watched some episodes. But I liked another soap better. I've forgotten the title. It was set in California in Napa Valley among the vintners there. Does that ring a bell? I always used to iron while watching it. :-)
That would be Falcon Crest - another of my favorites - especially with Lorenzo Lamas a member of the cast.
@Kandae11 Oh, yes! Falcon Crest it was. Thank you. I don't remember the story or the characters. Only, that I liked it.
@MALUSE Yes, it was very popular and aired from 1981 to 1990. Jane Wyman Who was the wife of Ronald Reagan played one of the main characters.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I never watched soaps. I had an aunt that watch one soap every day. I went to visit her one day and I noticed it was time for her soap but she didn't even budge to turn the tv on so I ask, "Isn't your soap on?" She said. "I don't watch it anymore. It just got stupid."
In those days I would sometimes take a break from those soaps which were a bit too true to life - for example - the bad guy getting one too many over the good guy.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@Kandae11 When I was in high school someone told me that many college men were watching soaps–not for the plot but to see the cute actresses. Well, not even that got me past the "how dumb is that" feeling.
@RichardMeister But many of the story lines were real life - don't you agree?
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
The only one I've ever gotten into is Y&R. Still watch it now. I remember the very first episode back in the early 70's, too. Though I've missed big chunks of it during the years I worked full-time. Now, it's my lunch-time routine: make my salad, watch my soap!
The Young and the Restless was the first soap I watched when I went to the States in the eighties.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@Kandae11 I still love it. I've tried watching Bold & Beautiful, but don't care for it at all. I DID watch Knots Landing many moons ago, but that was the only night-time soap I watched.
I heard Dynasty was making a new show.
That would be interesting. I hope the actors chosen look as close as possible to those in the former cast.
@TRBRocks420 the new Dynasty started last week and I'm not sure if I like the actors/actresses they chose for the parts. Grant Show is Blake Carrington and he seems okay
@Marilynda1225 I figured they wouldn't be as good they never are.
I have never seen any of this.Had not interest is soaps.Do only soap I like is the one washing my hands
@Kandae11 Oh,ok.At least put a smile on your face
@amadeo You sure did.
I remember most of these names but I never really got hooked on any. I guess with working it was hard to watch these shows regularly.
These days I have no time to be hooked on anything - except Mylot.
@Kandae11 Yes, I'm pretty hooked on that!
My mother watched General Hospital and All My Children for many years. I am not sure if either is still on the air. Soap Operas ratings declined as women started working instead of being a stay at home moms over the years. I watched Passions for a few years until my daughter was about 1 then I didn’t have the time or interest to watch tv.
I know General Hospital is still there - All My Children was canceled.
@Kandae11 I knew one was no longer on air but couldn't remember which one and since I hadn't kept up with the show or news I wasn't sure if either was still on. I will have to ask my mom and sister if they still watch it. Soaps can be addicting!
I remember that Dallas and Dynasty were also broadcast by the French TV, when I lived there. My mother in Italy used to watch "The Guiding Light", I have seen some episodes when I visited her.
Yes indeed - The Guiding light is the longest running one. I believe it was on radio before being broadcast on television.
@Kandae11 I do not know, but I remember that Mom never missed an episode.
I used to watch the ones you mentioned. I even had cable here in Israel where I got the movie channel and could watch The Bold and the Beautiful and then it was gone. Now, I have Netflix and a different Dynasty can be seen on it. I have not seen it yet. I am watch Super Girl.
It would be interesting to see how the new Dynasty compares with the old one.
@Kandae11 I will watch it after I watch some other things. I also want to check out Zoo too.
I watched Guiding Light with my mom and Grandmother growing up. Then got into One Life to Life when GL had a month left to it. Then got into General Hospital which i still watch daily, when OLTL had a month left to it.
Some went on and on for generations - the actors and actresses grew old on those soaps .
@Kandae11 yup. And i loved it
Back in the day I did watch Dallas and Dynasty.
Those two were really compelling.
@Kandae11 yes they were
I'm a big fan of General Hospital and still watch it. I started watching Bold & Beautiful a few years ago so those are my two guilty pleasures. I loved all those soap opera type shows...Dallas, Dynasty, Beverly Hills 90210 etc.
Yes those were the really big ones. I forgot to mention Beverly Hills 90210 - one of my favorites too.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Dallas, The Bold and the Beautiful and Days of our Lives used to be favourites, but I no longer watch soaps, life is just too busy.
Definitely too busy for me too. I watch "Generations" on the weekend and that's it.
• Preston, England
The only soap I liked a a spoof called Soap that took the mickey out of the absurdity of extreme real soap story arcs - the spin off series Benson was quite succesful too
Yes I really liked that show "Benson" , I saw the reruns but I understand it was on from 1979 to 1986.
@nangayo (2340)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Yes i remember the Young and restless, The Bold and the Beautiful, The Sunset Beach I still watch but not that keenly.
I am now watching only one on weekends.
@ridingbet (47048)
i like that series where Stephanie was the lead actress. i also watched Knots Landing, but i was more into action series like Dempsey and Makepeace.
Yes, Knots Landing was a spin-off from Dallas.
@1hopefulman (26080)
I did watch a few minutes of soaps now and then but never got into them. However, there are a few weekly programs that I watch every week.
One could become addicted.
I loved watching "Dallas." It was addictive. I also watched the soap opera "All My Children," in the 70s.
Yes , they can be addictive.