Slow internet is better than no internet.

Aberdeen, North Carolina
Right now the internet connection I have runs at 768 kilobits, but I had $0 deposit, $0 installation fee, and $0 service fee. I only have to pay $5 plus tax a month. This is what I can feasibly squeeze into our budget on a single income. Apparently AT&T runs a program called AT&T access for low income users who need internet at home. I homeschool the kids and I'm a single parent who does work full time so this internet is definitely a good investment. We can download books to our tablets, surf the net, do research, check emails, and even stream youtube. I know my teens will probably miss when we had Verizon FIOS and how fast our internet connection was back then, but hey, this is WAYYYY faster than dial up internet. LOL too bad my kids don't even recall that far back then they would understand that while this may be slow to them, it is just the slowest of high speed internet. It would be worse not to have it all.
@topffer (34727)
• France
When I have reached the max amount of data for the month my phone internet is limited to 128 kb. It is slow but still useful to get and send emails. 768 kb is not bad. In the countryside here, many places have only a 512 kb connection. I have realized since a long time that a very fast connection (100 Mb or more) was not that useful, as many servers were not delivering more than 1 or 2 Mb/s. And $5 per month is a real bargain You can even pay that with your myLot's earnings.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
That's what I'm hoping. One of my friends is on my lot and she suggested I join.
@topffer (34727)
• France
@acrogodess Many members are earning more than that every month.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
@topffer that's fantastic! I remember when I used to earn $50 or more a week on bubblews. I was so sad when they went belly up.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I use the hotspot in my phone for our internet at home
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
I have 14GB of high speed internet on the phone, but I don't like how it slows down once I exceed the 14GB and most of the time I can only access the mobile sites on my laptop as opposed to desktop. The home internet is more for the homeschooling.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@acrogodess I get 3gb this next month. I cut my plan down to save moneu
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
@thislittlepennyearns I'm lucky that their dad pays for our cell phone plan, otherwise I'd definitely be cutting down the plan. It's in my name though, so I did cut out my mother's line. She hasn't used it in months so that was definitely a waste of money.
@louievill (18981)
If it fits the budget and does the job done then I think it's fine, there would be better times coming for you that's for sure and you are right having one is better than not having any so keep up the good work of homeschooling the kids. I admire single parents who does their responsibility
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
Thanks so much for the compliment. The kids and I will be okay. I know it, but it is definitely an adjustment going from a 2 income 2 parent household to just 1 parent and 1 income
@louievill (18981)
@acrogodess I wish you the best and good luck
I just applied for the low income internet. I'm waiting to hear back from them. Hoping we get it, as you said it's much better than nothing.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
It took about 5 business days to hear back from them via email. Hope you qualify. I was hoping they'd have the 10mbps locally, but I don't live close to the central office so they only had the 768kilobits here
@acrogodess Thank you for telling me. =) I'm hoping to get the $10 per month one.
That is what your money can buy. I would rather it over nothing as you do.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
Yes and thinking back to dial up, this is still fast to me. LOL :)
Yes, because at least you have internet.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
Exactly, but try telling two kids that who are spoiled. LOL they feel like they're dying with no cable and up until today no internet. They're good kids though, so they'll get over it. It's just an adjustment
@acrogodess Explaining anything to spoiled children is always a big challenge.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
@TheInvisibleMan lol yeah, what makes it funnier to me is they don't realize how spoiled they've been up until now. On the bright side, they do intend to get jobs soon both so they can save for college and to help around the home, so I must've done well with them somewhere LOL ;-)
• Cuddalore, India
Here we have one GB per day full speed internet post unlimited slow speed .It costs only 6.5 $ .Its all because of jio.It makes the other service providers to face loss
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
It's always interesting to hear how other places in the world do things. Thanks for sharing.
@MarsGirl (291)
• Chennai, India
People who work online requires fast internet. Its ok if the net is slow for people who use it just to browse and play games
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
I know, but at the moment this is what I can afford so I will take it