That 5 bucks!

@YrNemo (8510)
I was wandering about at an open market once (tried to kill time while waiting for someone) when I saw two kids, selling some of their old toys. One was about 11, tall but still a little girl of 7 at heart. Her brother, 6 YO, was there with her. The strange thing is, they practically gave away the pretty dolls they had there, while selling a small box of used sticky beads for $5. To me, the dolls would have cost more, while that sticky bead box was worthless. I chatted with the kids a bit, realized that they wanted to make some money as a sign of being independent (from what they said). I was amused, so I bought all their dolls (about $6) and that useless sticky bead box for five bucks. Years have passed, the memory of what I had done always amused me somehow. Have you ever done anything similar? I think in a sense, I was a bit mad, but... I did make some kids happy didn't I?
@Ithink (6790)
I have done the same, even if I really didn't have a need or want the item. It feels great and makes the heart sing when you see happy kids. I remember going to a Lemonade Stand and boy that stuff was sour! Had to drink it thou as didn't want to make them feel bad. Often wondered if anyone said anything or like me just sucked it down. LOL!
@YrNemo (8510)
The things we did to encourage others, old or young!
@Ithink (6790)
@YrNemo That is it too and to see the young ones trying just warms the heart.
@YrNemo (8510)
What a kind heart you had for making those kids get one step further on their road to "independence"! I wonder what happened to them after that! I've gotten loads of candy and girl scout cookies from many kids . . . in fact we bought some chocolate the other day from a friend - fundraiser for school.
@YrNemo (8510)
All the things we did to encourage the younger generations! But then, others did that to us before, hence we are who we are now. Our duty to return the favor in some way .
@YrNemo I am trying to think if anyone did that for me when I was a kid. I was kind of a sheltered kid - I didn't get that kind of encouragement - from family anyway. But I try to do that for future generations - boy and they sure need the encouragement!
Aww so sweet of you. :) I am sure the kids were proud of the money they were able to make!
@YrNemo (8510)
We did too when we were at that age, didn't we, just possess some money seemed to be a big thing to us back then at that tender age.
@YrNemo Yes the value of a dollar. Now a days kids are spoiled :P
@YrNemo (8510)
• Lakewood, Colorado
Yes I had bought things I did not really want for charitys sake. This is very cute. Do you still have them?
@YrNemo (8510)
My children even though older, still want to keep them there for fun. I just looked at that odd thing and felt a bit embarrassed with myself (but I am sure I did make those funny kids happy!).
• Lakewood, Colorado
@YrNemo Yes you surely did Darcy
@YrNemo (8510)
I always buy things from kids when they are selling stuff whether I really want it or not. I like to help them all. It always makes them feel good to sell something.
@YrNemo (8510)
They will turn into adults one of these days, and it will be their turns to support other kids. (Some of the children you supported, might just turn into successful business woman/man later in life.)
@YrNemo That is a nice way to look at it and you are so right. A small thing can have a huge impact on somebodys life.
@kobesbuddy (19596)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We saw children selling candy bars, outside a store. Instead of buying the candy, we gave them a $5.00 donation.
@YrNemo (8510)
They must be very happy, thinking, 'oooh, we can keep the candy and we still make some money, how's that!'
@kobesbuddy (19596)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@YrNemo The boys were very happy!:)
@YrNemo (8510)
@hereandthere (24114)
few weeks back i had a hair treatment that didn't really work that well. but i thought if i didn't go through with it , i wouldn't know the result.
@YrNemo (8510)
I know what you mean. In the name of 'experiment' in my case, lots of times.
@YrNemo sometimes it's trial and error, sometimes it's beginner's luck
@YrNemo (8510)
Nothing better than making kids happy - well done.
@YrNemo (8510)
They are most often so easy to please. Who knows, by the time I get to the nursing home stage, those kids might turn out to be my GP or nurse...
I wonder what happened to those kids? Have you heard from them? I hope they have continue their interest in business and to be independent.
@YrNemo (8510)
The encouragement the children received from us adults, might just make them more interested in becoming more successful in life, or at least, learn how to save money! Things have to begin from somewhere. (From what I found out, they lived in a quiet country town, with not many neighbors around. Their father stood 5 m away, let them deal with the customers. He looked gentle. God knows, he might just be a professor in economics at some universities.)
Bless, I expect you made them very happy. :)
@YrNemo (8510)
They were extremely happy. Wish someone could make us happy with just five bucks!
@dodoazo (11141)
I remember doing similar humanity act. I was taking my early morning walk around the public plaza. I met two school kids selling viands for breakfast. These are not in school for it's a holiday. I bought 2 viands wrapped in plastic. My money has a chance. I never took it. They both gave me thanks.
@YrNemo (8510)
Those kids will think of you every now and then for paying but not taking the items. Perhaps they will do the same to other kids in the future.
In the end that is all that matters
@YrNemo (8510)
@bluesa (12770)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
That was sweet of you . I bought some very not great lemonade from kids, also so they could have that "We made our own cash,yippee" moment.
@YrNemo (8510)
Does it mean that the lemonade was sour too?
@bluesa (12770)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@YrNemo lol, yes, the lemonade was sour too
@PainsOnSlate (19208)
I think helping kids learn about selling and pricing is a good thing. I often by at yard sales, especially if I can find beads and lots of times its the kids who are selling the beads.
@YrNemo (8510)
Now that I think of it, at our local open market, parents often let their children sell their old toys while the parents stand aside watching. (My discussion was about my trip to another open market, about 7 km away).
@garymarsh6 (12097)
You did the right thing by them. They were probably chuffed to bits to have sold their stuff and no doubt they were able to buy something they really wanted. That is a kind gesture!
@YrNemo (8510)
That was part of the reason why I did it. It is almost like giving them some lollypops, just to see some angelic smile of extreme happiness on their innocent faces. (Sometimes it is uncomfortable doing any good deeds the right way. Extra uncomfortable if we did it the wrong way .)
@kepweng (6341)
thats a waste of money?
@YrNemo (8510)
In a sense, I did waste my money. Then again, one has to sacrifice a bit every now and then for the youngsters, even if they are not ours. I think I am a fool thinking that way .
I think what you did was a great thing for those kids. It gave them confidence, and that's important for kids especially at an age when they can be belittled for their age. I haven't had an opportunity like that.
@YrNemo (8510)
Searching in my memory I remember something like this. I bought chocolates from a kid who wanted to make some money. I gave the chocolates to another kid minutes later.
@topffer (30594)
• France
You have been very kind with them, and it was not that expensive I have seen a few kids/teens selling things with their parents on second-hand fairs, but it is rare, and with the laws we have a minor cannot sell anything alone (By tolerance, a few lottery tickets for school festivals or scouting times to times, it is the only lottery tickets that I buy). We do not prepare them to become businessmen.
@ridingbet (37924)
those kids had the initiative to work and sell their product.