Halloween in Southern California

Photo taken by author; all rights reserved
Laguna Woods, California
It is that time of year again, when people begin to decorate their homes for Halloween in Southern California. While a number of neighborhoods are known for their decorations, my favorite is the small island in the middle of Newport Bay known as Balboa Island. It is about three miles around Balboa Island and takes about an hour to walk around it ... a little longer if you want to stop and admire all the decorations. The homeowners are very creative. One home has a giant spider which you must walk under as you stroll around the island. Another has a witch on a broom which has "crashed" into the streetlight. Still another home has a T-Rex with a skeleton hanging from the mouth, as though it has just eaten the person. Many of the neighbors have stuffed black cats on their porches, skeletons or ghosts sitting on the patio furniture, and so much more. Above is a photo I took of just one of the homes. Do you have a favorite neighborhood where you enjoy visiting during the Halloween season?
This house is even a bit too much decorated. Nobody decorates for Halloween here.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I agree that house is over-decorated, which is why I enjoy going to see it. That beachfront house on Balboa Island is worth around $6 or 7 million. It even has its own boat dock and boats, which are also decorated. I cannot imagine decorating everything like that, but it is fun to look at!
@DeborahDiane If they could afford a 7 million $ house, they surely hired someone to decorate.
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
Nobody used to decorate much for Halloween when I was growing up. All the elaborate decorations were for Christmas. On Halloween the most you would usually see was a Jack-o-lantern on the porch, or maybe some arrangement of pumpkins. Now it seems people want to decorate in some way for almost everything.
@RubyHawk (21455)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We see yards in our area with witches, ghosts, pumpkins and all sorts of Halloween decorations, Some yards are completely full thoughnot as extravagant as the one above.
• Laguna Woods, California
@RubyHawk - That is so great that people put witches, ghosts, pumpkins and other decorations in their yards. I think it is pretty rare for people to go as nuts over Halloween as they do on Balboa Island!
@RubyHawk (21455)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@DeborahDiane Probably so. I've never seen decorations so extravagant..
• Laguna Woods, California
@RubyHawk - Honestly, until I lived in this area, I never saw decorations this extravagant, either!
Not many places here go all out for halloween. Sadly. Would love to see those places you mentioned.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Courtlynn - I have never lived anywhere where people put as much energy into Halloween as they do on Balboa Island!
@DeborahDiane christmas is big here but not halloween.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Courtlynn - Despite those Halloween decorations on Balboa Island, Christmas is much bigger here than Halloween!
@LoriAMoore (9565)
Yes, here in Louisville it's called Hillcrest @fourwalls and I should go and scare the monsters there!
• Laguna Woods, California
@LoriAMoore - That sounds like a fun place to visit. One of our daughters used to live in Louisville and her kids were in elementary school at the time. I'll have to ask if they ever visited the Hillcrest area!
@FourWalls (9443)
I’m banned from Halloween haunted houses for scaring the monsters......
• Laguna Woods, California
@FourWalls - Ha Ha! That's the first time I heard someone say that!
Very few decorate in my little town, which is fine by me. I find it gaudy. I've been to Balboa when it wasn't decorated, and it was lovely.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - No one decorates for Halloween in our retirement community. Many people decorate for Christmas and Hanukkah, however. You are right that Balboa Island is lovely throughout the year, with all the charming cottages and roses the year around. I do enjoy going and seeing all the outrageous decorations for Halloween and Christmas ... although I would never go to all that trouble myself!
That owner got creative with their decorations. Great photo. I'm starting to see more decorations coming out, but not a lot on the street I live on.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - I am always amazed by that particular house. I would never have thought to put so many different decorations on my home, but it is fun to look at!
@sallypup (20586)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Nope. I'd love to walk around Balboa island, whatever season it happens to be.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - I hope you get a chance to walk around Balboa Island. It is charming any time of the year!
@sallypup (20586)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DeborahDiane I've been to California once. Most of my time in your state was spent wandering a 100 acre ranch so I'm guessing my feel for your state is different than yours.
• Laguna Woods, California
@sallypup - I'm glad you got to spend time on a ranch in California. A lot of people only see scenes of California on TV and they think it is all about surfers and people skateboarding in Santa Monica. However, California has huge agricultural areas. One-half of many of the fruits, vegetables and nuts which are consumed in the US are grown in California. There is a lot of variety in the state.
@YrNemo (7288)
Cool! Our neighborhood and the surroundings have never had that sort of devotion to Halloween. Some houses did have spider webs and some skulls dangling right at their front gates, others perhaps something spooky, but that would be it.
• Laguna Woods, California
@YrNemo - I think it is fun that some people put up spider webs and skulls. That sounds like a treat for the children!
@YrNemo (7288)
@DeborahDiane Something unusual to break the monotony of life I guess, kids will love anything interesting.
• Laguna Woods, California
@YrNemo - I agree that people do a lot of this to break up the monotony, and I don't see the harm in it, if people enjoy it!
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
Here in Paso Robles many of the neighbors decorate, though I don't see many houses as elaborate as the ones in your picture. This area isn't as wealthy as Balboa, either, so people can't spend too much on decorating. We see a lot of ghosts, graves, spiders with webs, and witches. And, of course, pumpkins.
• Laguna Woods, California
@bagarad - When my kids were growing up, we had a blow-up Frankenstein which we would hang from a window. We would also put out a few big pumpkins and a few other simple decorations. We never did anything as elaborate as this!
@bagarad (7844)
• Paso Robles, California
@DeborahDiane When we had kids, I let them do the decorating. They enjoyed it much more than I ever would.
• Laguna Woods, California
@bagarad - Me, too! My kids always loved to decorate, paint some pumpkins, put "spiders" in the front windows, and, of course, hang up our Frankenstein. It was fun just to watch them!
@Deepizzaguy (7246)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
My next door neighbor has Halloween decorations. The best part to see decorations in Lake Charles is the area near the lakefront area.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Deepizzaguy - I bet it is fun to see the decorations near the lakefront! I'm sure they reflect on the water, which makes them even better!
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@DeborahDiane It is very beautiful to see the decorations in the lake area of Lake Charles.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Deepizzaguy - I hope I get to see it one day. We used to live in Dallas, TX and would visit Louisiana sometimes ... but never at Halloween, as far as I recall.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
There's a neighborhood like that in Portland Oregon that does up for Xmas
• Laguna Woods, California
@thislittlepennyearns - I think most neighborhoods seem to enjoy decorating more for Christmas than they do for Halloween!
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
@DeborahDiane we live in the middle of nowhere
• Laguna Woods, California
@thislittlepennyearns - There are a lot of advantages to living "in the middle of nowhere."
@ilocosboy (31562)
Seems like halloowen is even more bigger than Christmas day celebration
• Laguna Woods, California
@ilocosboy - Actually, this island goes crazy over Christmas, too! These people just seem to love to decorate for every event!
@ilocosboy (31562)
oh wow, that could be a tourist destination because of the decorations they made during the event.
• Laguna Woods, California
@ilocosboy - Yes, it is a tourist destination during the holidays. Many of us really look forward to seeing all the decorations!
I see some decorations but not many. I don't need to put out any this year as my new kitten is a black kitten I have a year round decoration.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Marty1 - Ha Ha! I hope you keep your kitten safe inside on Halloween night!
@DeborahDiane I will as he never goes outside! thanks for the reminder!
Yes, I do have couple of neighborhoods that I love visiting during Halloween. These are the posh villagers in Makati and Alabang. The homeowners always go out of their way to put up great decorations. They seem to try to outdo each other.
• Laguna Woods, California
@allen0187 - That is wonderful! I love being able to look at someone else's decorations, without putting in a lot of energy myself!
@Elizaby (3374)
• Pensacola, Florida
I try to advoid areas that are overly decorated for Halloween as I don't have nothing to do with the holiday.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Elizaby - I can understand why you would want to avoid those places, then. It is certainly not something everyone would enjoy!
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - I agree that it is too much decorated. I certainly would not do it to my house, but I enjoy seeing what other people do! It makes it fun, even for adults with grown children!
It's hard for kids now a days here, we have to search for a neighborhood that celebrates Halloween. That's an awesome picture!
• Laguna Woods, California
@LovingMyBabies - Very few neighborhoods here decorate like this. That is why I enjoy going to see the gorgeous homes on this island. It is quite a treat!
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh thats a lovely decoration. Well I dont drive no car so just walking around where I live is okay to look at houses.
• Laguna Woods, California
@TiarasOceanView - Yes, looking around your own neighborhood is always a fun way to spend time!
Wow! Someone has gone to a lot of trouble with those decorations. It would be really entertaining for passers-by.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I agree! I would never spend so much time decorating my home, but I enjoy looking at it when someone else does it! LOL
I wonder what this house does for Christmas?
• Laguna Woods, California
@JohnRoberts - They go overboard for Christmas, too. I'll have to post a picture of the same house in December. It is fun to see what they do. They have a boat dock, too, and last year they had Santa on a paddleboard. It was pretty funny!