The Last Crop of the Year

My last crop - personal photo
Switzerland
The last two days we have seen foggy mornings and cooler nights. The humidity is high and the ground is covered by dead leaves fallen from the trees. This morning I have checked if there were still some vegetables ready to be picked up in the garden. I have found some tomatoes and a few hot peppers, the last of the season. This is a very warm autumn, usually I remove all the plants by the end of September, we are three weeks over the average. If you live in the northern hemisphere, when do you get the first freeze of Fall?
Wow, those look delicious. I doubt my area will suffer a freeze before late December or early January, it is still around 27 or so in the afternoons and around 10 in the early mornings, not really all that cold yet. As you know I do not like cold so hopefully it will stay like this until springtime.
We usually get our first freeze around mid-November, but it's better to be prepared earlier. Now that I have removed all the veggies, I will close the outside water.
Buurrrr, that just sounds too cold for me @LadyDuck Do you get a lot of rain this time of year?
@rebelann No rain at all in October, November is usually more rainy.
@ilocosboy (33294)
that tomatoes and bell paper really look fresh from the garden. that is so nice you have them harvest before the autumn spoil them. In our place this is the start of planting our vegetables in the backyard.
It's the end of the season here, I cannot believe I have been able to pick up those residual vegetables.
@ilocosboy (33294)
and they really look nice and yummy. What do you plan for them, if its in my country, it should be sinigang, they are the best ingredients.
@ilocosboy We eat the tomatoes raw, in a mixed salad. I will stuff the round hot peppers with tuna and mayo, they are so good.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
So does this mean that there are still a few strands of spaghetti on the trees?
I have to check I have not searched the spaghetti tree, but now that I have the tomatoes for the sauce, I should.
@Asylum (47312)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck It seems that you have a bolognaise garden.
@Asylum I miss the meat to make a Bolognese, I have a Neapolitan garden.
we all ready got our freeze here.We are done.The only thing hanging on is Parsley.
Parsley does not fear the cold, sometimes I go picking it up when it is covered with snow. Also the sage and the rosemary do not fear the cold.
@LadyDuck yes we also have this.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do you grow cilantro? I love cilantro!
• Preston, England
leaves were falling by the end of August here - right now we have another major storm, apparently called Brian - I'd love to find out who gets to name these things here
I have read about the storm, it seems it will bring bad weather all over Europe. It's a strange year, also our leaves started falling in August, they were still green.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck yes we lost quite a few before they went brown too
• Pleasant Hill, California
I wonder about that too.
How great to grow your own veges. We don't usually get any frosts in my area until November. I've been raking up the leaves again today - seems a never ending job.
We also expect the first frosts by mid-November. Raking leaves is a never ending job.
@Shiva49 (9688)
Lovely produce indeed. Rainy season mostly in Asia now and later colder weather - siva
Thank you, I had less tomatoes this year, weird season.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What are people planting there at this time of year?
@TheHorse Where I live or where @Shiva49 lives? Here right now only potatoes, cabbages, kale, spinach. Not a lot.
The little green peppers look so cute! In our weather, we plant year-round, but I don't plant anything personally. Just my parents' do.
When it is this time of the year I tell to my husband that I am not going to plant again, but then I like too much to see my vegetables grow.
@LadyDuck It's a success to see vegetables grow and then harvest them!
@infatuatedbby You are right, it's a great satisfaction.
I can't relate because we we don't have autumn , fall and winter. Athough, at summer, vegetables, fruits and flowers abound. Your veggies are so fresh. I envy you for having a garden with veggies like that.
A vegetable garden is a lot of work, but it's also a source of satisfaction.
@LadyDuck Actually , for me any kind of gardening is really a lot of work. But I admire a garden be it veggies or flowers . I just don't like to garden.
@SIMPLYD It's a hard work, but I like to garden, it's a good exercise.
We have a very warm autumn too. Perennials I have already cut down are sprouting and blooming again. The first freeze here usually occurs at the end of October or in November.
We usually had the first freeze at the same time, this year is incredibly warm. It rains from last night, may be the unusual warm weather is over.
• Pleasant Hill, California
A bit later here.
@alberello75 (13182)
• Genova, Italy
That the climate in the last decades has changed, well this is now a certainty. I live in the Northern hemisphere, we are almost at the end of October. My father pointed out that, here in Genova, it is practically a whole year, which does not rain intensely! Speaking of temperatures, it doesn't seem to be October. Typical September weather. At moments, we leave home almost in short sleeves! Barzelletta: I Preti non devono impiccarsi.
You are right, this is not the right temperature for October, here it should be cold, but it's not. It rained for a few hours from Saturday night until about 11 this morning, now it's sunny again. Nice barzelletta
@alberello75 (13182)
• Genova, Italy
@LadyDuck Blame by the human being if on Earth we have abnormal temperatures, and natural disasters. We are continuing to destroy the "CREATO". Makes us pay! and to High price! When ever, will we understand?
@alberello75 I fear that we will never understand. I wonder how many years from now we will have no more fresh water to drink.
I am not sure as it seems i think I am the only one who had a frost last Monday morning. I asked others, and they didn't seem to think they had one. It comes in think in my area sometime in the end of October Your vegetables look yummy! It just shows besides being a great cook you are a superb gardener. It has been warm since then.
This year is warmer, we usually have our first frost late in October. I like to work in my garden. It's such a great satisfaction to plant your seeds and see the vegetables grow.
@LadyDuck it was warmer here too. Supposed to get a lot colder by tuesday. Now we are spring temperatures last couple of weeks. I don't garden as i would forget to water them
@Marty1 No, you would not forget to water the vegetables, I am sure. How is Onyx? I hope you are both well.
@dpk262006 (54812)
Your home grown vegetables look very nice. We don't grow vegetables at home, due to lack of space and we generally source if from the market.
I have not a big vegetable garden, but it is enough to have fresh herbs all the year round and tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and lettuce from May to October.
@dpk262006 (54812)
@LadyDuck Even if it is a small garden, you could get herbs of your choice and that too fresh from your garden.
@dpk262006 Yes, I have many herbs and most of them are perennial.
These are little garden beauties ! We have a very warm autumn - next week we are supposed to go to triple digit heat again! So no freeze in sight - we never see an actual freeze.
We are all surprised by the warm weather, this is uncommon for this time of the year. May be tomorrow is going to rain and (may be) this will be the start of colder days.
@LadyDuck At times it has been warm here all the way through December! Last year we hit with rains - and that was surprising. It will be interesting to hear how all our winters will be. What will you be doing with the last of your harvest?
@much2say Usually October is colder here, I remember that sometimes, back in the 70's, it snowed at the end of October. We eat the tomatoes raw in salads. I stuff the round peppers with tuna and mayo, the long one will go into a curry.
I'm glad you're able to get some vegetables from your garden. Usually by late October early November we get the first freeze. Since we're still in the 60's, it could be well into November before that happens, though we are finally starting to feel some cooler weather.
I expected cold weather by mid-October, but it's still very warm. Surely the temperature will drop beginning November. It has to drop, we also need the cold to kill the bugs.
@LadyDuck Yes, we do. I think they never went away last year. It was a warm winter and colds and flu flourished here. So getting some colder temps would be wonderful. I did see a weather report for an expected cold winter. I hope it comes about.
@just4him According to an old time local saying, as we had a very hot first of August, winter should be cold.
@vandana7 (57514)
We never freeze..lol. I live in a hot city. In summers it is about 44 degrees Celsius. In winters, I don't think it drops below 10 degrees celsius.
When we lived in Monte-Carlo winters were warm and pleasant, we also never dropped below 10/12. Here it's another matter.
@vandana7 (57514)
@LadyDuck .. What about summers there?
@vandana7 Monte-Carlo is on the Mediterranean sea, summer was hot, but not extremely hot. At most we could reach 30 degrees Celsius.
@JustBhem (22555)
• Davao, Philippines
We don't have that kind of weather and those vegetables are fresh.
I know you only have two seasons. It's usually colder here in October, when I was young it snowed in October here.
@JustBhem (22555)
• Davao, Philippines
@LadyDuck It's a mixture of Hot and Cold during the night.
@JustBhem Today is definitely colder.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Your fresh veggies looks delicious. My sister cleaned her garden out a week or so ago, preparing it for next years planting.l believe she said she still had green tomatoes.
I have removed the tomato plants and the green tomatoes are inside a paper bag in the greenhouse, may be they will turn red.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LadyDuck Then you'll still have home grown tomatoes for awhile. Store bought never tastes as good.
@RubyHawk We will consume our last tomatoes within the end of the month, then it will be store tomatoes.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
According to some websites I looked up, where I live usually gets its first freeze around the end of November. Which must be some kind of a joke, because I can't remember ever getting a freeze in November. We barely get them in December.
I went to Florida many times in November, but I never had cold weather. I remember very cold days in Miami at the end of December.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck When I was growing up in south Florida, it would always cool down in December, and then we would have really cold months in January and February. Now, it doesn't even get cold down there anymore. It barely gets cold up here in north Florida any more. There is no question that climate change has affected our weather, at least here in Florida. Either that, or we coincidentally have had many years in a row of unseasonably warm weather. Apparently, the long-term forecast for winter this year is another warm one. Sigh.
@moffittjc The only place in Florida I found cold in February was the Panhandle (Panama City Beach and Pensacola), but usually only in the morning, it warmed up during the day.
@1hopefulman (20372)
Nice little last crop! We have had a couple of frost warnings and I have brought all my plants that I had on the balcony inside.
It's raining today, the temperature is dropping, it's time to put inside the greenhouse my potted plants.
@1hopefulman (20372)
@LadyDuck It's time!
@1hopefulman It's cold this morning, a strong wind from north.