Washday back when

Bunbury, Australia
Another interesting relic we found while cleaning out our mother’s house was this old washboard. Many may have seen this used in musical groups. Its original use was as an aid in washing clothes. Soiled garments would be scrubbed over the corrugations on the glass ‘board’. Where do you do your laundry? Many Australian houses have a designated ‘laundry’ which might contain a washing machine and sometimes a dryer. Apart from inner city areas, most households would have an outside line for drying as our climate means you don’t need a dryer too often. In Ireland it seemed most washers and dryers were in the kitchen and in our friend’s new unit in downtown Fremantle there is a washing machine secreted in a cupboard in the largish hallway.
We have a laundry room but the clothes are hung outside at the back in the sun and breeze.
If there is a breeze the clothes dry very quickly.
I have a laundry room. washer and dryer. I also have a clothes line to hang when its hot outside
Almost all my drying is done outside on the line.
I go to the laundrimate.
I guess that is standard for many people in cities.
• Eugene, Oregon
My mother had one and I recall seeing her use it. I had no idea the board itself was glass. My daughter's stackable washer and dryer is in her kitchen in her older house. Ours is in the "laundry" room by the back door.
We have a laundry room with a washer and dryer . . . next to the kitchen. Oh gosh I remember when my mom used to handwash a lot of our laundry!!
Hand-washing was heavy work. Mum would boil the sheets in a copper. She had a short, strong poker to lift the sheets out of the hot water. She used to wring the clothes by hand until she got a wringer. It was very hard work and there would be four or five loads each wash day.
@JudyEv Wow! My mom handwashed to save on the electric bill. I think the only equipment she really had was the bathtub . I remember being fascinated by all that wringing she did by hand. Yah, it's a lot of work!
@much2say My mother would often have aching wrists from wringing out as much water as possible.
@nanette64 (13102)
• Fairfield, Texas
Back in the day (when I was 11), I remember very well doing the laundry in a large washtub using the washboard @JudyEv . Today I have a washer & dryer but I have to sit on the washer when it hits the spin cycle to keep it from moving across the floor. One of the stabilizer rods is broken.
Haha. Love the image of you sitting on the washing machine. I used to say ours was coming down the passage to watch TV as it used to get a bit of a rock up from time to time. It would tie up your time more having to be around when it hits spin.
@nanette64 (13102)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JudyEv It's kinda like a work-out machine. Just sit on it and your body weight just gets jiggled off.
@nanette64 You have a great attitude towards clothes spinning!
@cynthiann (18635)
• Jamaica
I remember the washboard so well on wash day in the U .K.as a child. My mother used this to scrub the sheets and towels. The white sheets were then.rinsed and put into a gas boiler to boil. Then they were rinsed again in cold water. The items were then fed through a wringer yo get out the excess water before being put out to dry. What a hard life she had. This was post war. Yes I am very old! ??
This is exactly as it was for my mother. It was almost a full day's work and very hard work at that.
@cynthiann (18635)
• Jamaica
@JudyEv Very hard manual work! We forget how hard women laboured for their families. Thank God those days are over for many women all over the world.
@cynthiann And no wonder many women with families never went out to work.
My washing machine is in the kitchen and I don't have a dryer. I remember my granny using a washboard, and a 'dolly' and a mangle.
I'm sure I've heard of a dolly but I've forgotten what it was. Can you remind me please? Even the mangle would have saved a lot of hand-wringing.
@JudyEv It's a 3-legged contraption that has to be swished around in the washing.
@jaboUK Oh cute! Like a manual agitator. I don't think we ever had one of those.
We were living across the street from a Laundromat. Now the laundry room is just on the second floor.
I guess I've always lived in a house with a laundry so having a communal laundry is foreign to me. The nearest we came to it was on the big caravan parks.
@JudyEv - I think I've probably only lived in five houses that had washer and dryer. I've almost always lived in apartments.
I have a washer and a dryer in the laundry room and the lavatory has a washing board similar to the one in the photo. I attach a picture of the lavatory very similar to the one I have, mine is only a little larger.
That looks like a wooden one. Do you use it for washing clothes? I can't imagine that you would.
@JudyEv Even in the past in Italy and here in Switzerland we used wooden ones. Of course I use it, to wash rugs and small things. I do not use a brush, but this is very useful even to wash small delicate things, to apply the soap before washing.
@UncleJoe (8071)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I wrote a post this week about my mother doing her laundry with an old gasoline wringer-type washing machine. The washboard predates even that. Next somebody will come up with the big rock their grandmother beat her clothes against.
In the late 1990s we took a bunch of boys to help install a water supply in the backblocks of Thailand. The villagers there were still washing their clothes in the river and slapping them again rocks. Quite possibly they still do this.
@sueznewz2 (9333)
• Alicante, Spain
in spain they are inbthe kitchen or a little room just off the kitchen as most of the housing in spain is flats.. but like youcwe have a good climate so not many people have dryers...
It saves space to have them in the kitchen I guess. A lot of it is just what you're used to. I have a laundry (room) but it also has storage and a sink.
Hmm, I don;t even think my grandmothers had a washboard. I think they may have had a wringer washer though. Washer and dryer are used here in most communites..Some of the rural areas may still use clothes lines.
In Australia, it seems a shame not to take advantage of the sunshine unless you don't have room for a clothes-line. At school we were always taught that hanging clothes in the sun helped kill any bugs or germs.
@topffer (29927)
• France
I have seen women using these washboards when I was young. There were public washing places near rivers, and they were still used until the end of the 60's/beginning of the 70's. I think it is forbidden now, because of detergents, but these places are kept and maintained. I have no dryer. I dry the clothes in my garden where there is a covered place for that. It quite never freezes here, so it is alright most of the year, and is better than a dryer for clothes.
I sometimes finish off the towels in the dryer as otherwise they seem to dry like cardboard. But the dryer rarely gets used at other times.
@kepweng (5789)
i though before the photo is a trash can with windows?
I can understand how you might think that.
@LoriAMoore (9663)
I've seen those. I think my grandma had one.And of course they're sometimes used as musical instruments.
I guess they were pretty effective. Thank goodness we don't have to wash by hand any more.
My Great Grandma used to do laundry like that.
It was a hard day's work in days gone by.
@peachpurple (9773)
oh that wash plank reminds me of my mom, I used to wash clothes with that
Washing clothes has advanced quite a lot hasn't it?