A Dog-Gone Good Time!

@moffittjc (35735)
Gainesville, Florida
I had a fun time today at work for one of my favorite special events of the year. Today was the 10th annual Drool & Ghoul at the Pool, an event we run on the last day of the season at one of the municipal swimming pools I oversee. It's a day when the pool goes to the dogs! On the final day the pool is open, we let dogs come out and swim and have a good time. And since the event always falls near the end of October, we also have a costume contest for both dogs and their owners. Other events include dog relay races, frisbee and ball tricks in the pool, swimming (dogs only), photo booths, doggy crafts, pumpkin carving, food truck rally and more. We usually average about 100 dogs each year, but this year the event exploded in growth, with a total of 170 dogs and over 200 people attending the event! While the event was a huge success and a lot of fun, right at the end we had an emergency when one of the dog owners went into cardiac arrest on the pool deck. Our quick-thinking lifeguards immediately began CPR while administering AED shocks, and by the luck of God a fire rescue unit and ambulance happened to be driving by the pool when the tragedy struck. Although I don't know the ultimate fate of the patron, he did receive very timely and professional care and was still alive and breathing when transported to the hospital. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. So my day was a day of both ups and downs, but overall it was a fulfilling day. How was your Saturday?
• Eugene, Oregon
I do hope that he survived. What a shock that must have been to those attending.
Another reason we must update our CPR!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN And the crazy thing is, the lifeguard who won an award last year for saving the life of a girl who drowned was the same guard who administered CPR/AED to the patron today.
• Eugene, Oregon
@DianneN For sure!
Wow! Your day certainly had ups and downs. I hope that poor man survives! I recently posted about my day. It's been a while. So busy!!!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'll make sure to read your post!
@moffittjc I'd rather be in Florida, but now you know when we will arrive. Get ready and set a date!!!!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DianneN The first two weekends in December I may be tied up at a conference in Orlando, and then the third weekend of December my son and I are going camping on the beach in St. Augustine. And then of course it's the holidays, so December may not be doable. But it will depend on whether or not I go to the conference in Orlando. But if not, then we'll get together in January or February for sure.
Oh wow. =( I'm sorry to hear that, I hope the man will be okay. I'm glad most of the day went well.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
All things considered, I had a great day! The fact that my staff acted quickly and professionally to attend to the patron in cardiac arrest means the world to me. Even on a day when they were having lots of fun and could have let their guard down, they were on point and reacted immediately. I was very proud of them.
@Deepizzaguy (7654)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
It is a pretty good Saturday. I like the story of the dogs competition in the pool.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
It is a fun time for both the dogs and their owners! I could tell at the end of the event when everyone was exiting the pool that the dogs and their owners were tired and worn out! That means they had lots and lots of fun!
@kobesbuddy (19472)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My gosh, this sounds like a very good time, for dogs and their owners! I'm sorry to hear about the dog owner, who went into cardiac arrest, a good item of prayer for sure!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Oh, and I forgot to mention that the winners of the costume contest got to take home huge gift baskets worth hundreds of dollars. We had some great sponsors this year and they brought some really great swag to the event! And of course, we provided every dog with some doggy ice cream at the end of the event!
@kobesbuddy (19472)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc This sounds like so much fun, I wish Kobe could go to something like this:)
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kobesbuddy Does your city/town have a municipal swimming pool? if so, you should approach their parks and recreation department and see if they would ever considered running an event like this.
• Boston, Massachusetts
what a fun and eventful day! hope you had fun despite the dramatic ending
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I had a great time! And we have another fun dog event tomorrow, called the Halloweener Derby. It's a race for weenie dogs to raise money for charity!
• Boston, Massachusetts
@moffittjc lots of good events in your area. do you dress up?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@mikaelajuliet I don't usually dress up for the event, but I do let me staff dress up if they want to.
Mine was nice. The neighbors have a new puppy so Ally is ready to go outside more often then not, the puppy is a big hit with the older dogs and of course me. I'm glad they patron got expert care, I hope he will be ok. Did he have a dog too?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's nice that the older dogs have a nice new puppy to play with! Yes, the guy had a dog with him at the pool. He had other friends/family members there too, so there was someone available to take the dog home when the man was transported to the hospital.
That's good news @moffittjc I know if I had a heart attack and had my pup with me I'd worry about her.
The funny thing is that the puppy belongs to the neighbors and both our older dogs want his attention @moffittjc poor lil guy just barks at everything he sees right now, he was born in July.
Glad it was mostly good. Hope hes okay
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We have one of the best hospitals in the nation for heart care, and it is located near the pool. Because of quick attention to his emergency, I think he has a very good fighting chance to make it.
@moffittjc thats great.
My day was happy, scary and accomplished. Glad you all had a wonderful day, regardless.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Did you write about your day?
@moffittjc yes. the scary.
Sounds like so much fun. I bet all the dogs enjoyed the event.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We could tell the dogs had a great time, because they all looked worn out when they left the pool!
@moffittjc that is awesome
Not as exciting as yours. That dog looks like a real professional.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
He was dressed as a scuba diver! We also had a lot of dogs dressed as sharks!
• Eugene, Oregon
Jeff, is that an oxygen tank on the dog?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, it was part of his costume. He was dressed as a scuba diver.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh, what a pity, it was such a lovely day and then that happened. Well done to all for helping him so quickly, I hope he'll be okay @moffittjc . Here we had severe thunderstorms and our electricity got hit out otherwise I would have stopped by sooner. Oh well, all's well that ends well as they say.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Ooh, sorry to hear you got hit by thunderstorms yesterday. Hope your weather is much improved today. I'm looking forward to another fun-filled day, as we have a second dog event scheduled for this afternoon. It's called the Halloweener Derby, where we race weener dogs to race money for charity. Actually, any small dog can be entered into the race. It's quite comical, because the dogs don't actually run like they're supposed to, they usually scurry about and sniff and greet all the people lined up along the race course. The owners usually have to stand at the finish line to bribe their dogs with treats in order to get them to finish the race. Thankfully, it's all in good fun!
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@moffittjc hi there, hun. Today is very cloudy and cool, but calm, thank you. I am happy you have another fun event. I hope everyone stays healthy! Have a wonderful time.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@bluesa You have anything fun planned today? Although I have fun events scheduled this weekend, technically it was still part of my job, so ti counted as 'work' and not all 'fun!' But I still managed to have fun though. I'm hoping today's events goes off without a hitch, as right now it is beautiful and sunny, but later we have an 80% chance of rain. I'm hoping the rain doesn't hit until after our event.
@Srbageldog (5567)
What a neat idea for an event! I have never heard of anything like that here. I don't have a dog but my parents' dogs would flip out if we tried to dress them up. That's very unfortunate about the man who had a heart attack. I hope he will be okay.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We actually run a series of dog events on this weekend. The first took place early Saturday morning, and was a 5k dog run to raise money for the University of Florida Small Vet Hospital. Then we had the Drool & Ghoul event at the pool yesterday afternoon, which helped raise money for the Humane Society. And finally, today we have our Halloweener Derby to raise money for the Climb for Cancer Foundation. The whole weekend has gone to the dogs!
@moffittjc That is awesome! If I were a dog person I would be attending all those events, lol. Alas, I am a cat person, and I don't believe there are any special events designed for cats...because they would, you know, rip you to shreds.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Srbageldog Believe it or not, several years ago we actually had a cat owner write a scathing letter to our mayor telling us we were discriminating because we were favoring citizens who owned dogs over citizens who owned cats, and it wasn't fair that we didn't offer any events for cats. Our mayor wrote back that we would be happy to look into running a cat event if she could suggest a worthy event for us to put on. We never heard back from the angry lady! If you think about it, safety would be the big issue with a cat event. You put a bunch of cats in a room together, and they will rip each other to shreds!
WOW, 170 dogs it's a great number. I am sorry that about the accident. I hope the dog owner survived and had no additional health problems.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
We were only expecting around 100 dogs, so we were quite surprised (and a little unprepared) for such a high number of dogs. The pool capacity is only 330 people. So, with 170 dogs and over 200 people at the pool (plus a dozen staff and probably another 30 volunteers and vendors), we were well over capacity. If the Health Department or Fire Marshall would have showed up, they might have shut us down for being over capacity! {yes, even the dogs would have counted toward our capacity numbers!}
@moffittjc I am glad that they did not show up and you enjoyed the day, even if the pool was over crowded.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck They don't work on weekends, so I was not too worried about it.
What a fun doggie event! But oh, what a scary emergency - hope the guy made it through ok at the hospital. We were on a college campus earlier - my 12 year old has art classes there. Since it's a bit of a drive, we hung out in the area . . . checked out a new (to us) bakery .
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
What campus were you guys on?
@moffittjc CSULA . . . we have to drive past downtown to get there (45 min?) . . . this is where we go almost every Saturday from October to May!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say Is that Cal State LA?
• Pamplona, Spain
That all seems to be great fun there in that photo. Trust that the said man is now recovering and doing well.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was able to get an update on the man. He is alive, but is still in the hospital. The quick actions of my lifeguards probably saved his life.
• Pamplona, Spain
@moffittjc Oh, that is good news for him then. Wishing him a speedy recovery and all good wishes for your Lifeguards.
@studylove (2149)
I enjoyed my Saturday with my friends.The picture is very beautiful. Have you taken it by yourself?
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, I was able to take quite a few pictures at the event.
@LoriAMoore (10037)
Oh I would LOVE to see the doggies at the pool!
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
It was such a beautiful day, a perfect day for dogs to enjoy the water!
That's sad that the day ended with an emergency. It's lucky there were people there to give immediate help. I hope the guy recovers. It sounds a great day for dogs and owners.
@moffittjc (35735)
• Gainesville, Florida
I will contact both Fire Rescue and the hospital today to see if either can give me an update on the status of the guy. I know they're not allowed to discuss the person's medical information, but they will be able to tell me if he survived or not.