We Did It!

@Morleyhunt (16688)
In four short weeks we will take possession of our retirement home. A week will be spent at the new house to get a few things organized and then we say goodbye to the house for more than two months. In February I will be driving out by myself to begin to paint, clean, have internet hooked up and generally begin to turn the house into a home. For almost two months my husband and I will be living miles and miles apart. In April, I get to make the long drive back to our present home so we can pack everything we own and make the big move in the middle of the month of May. My husband is super excited and counting down the days until he is retired. 205 is today's count. 2018 promises to be a year of change.
Nice house, it looks pretty big. I hope everything will go smoothly for you. So where will you be during Christmas?
@Morleyhunt (16688)
It's a basic bungalow....1000 square feet. Perfect for the two of us with room for guests.
Not bad @Morleyhunt it looks bigger though.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
@Platespinner (18531)
Exciting stuff!
@Morleyhunt (16688)
It sure is. You'll get to hear all about this adventure when you're down for the weekend.
• Denmark
Why don't you want to stay where you're living now?
@Morleyhunt (16688)
The house we currently live in is part of my husbands job. When he retires we will need to move. We have looked at many options for homes...locally and farther afield. Our finances tell us that if we want to enjoy a comfortable retirement we won't be buying locally... The home we have just purchased is valued about four times higher in this area.
• Denmark
@Morleyhunt You don't have to tell me what your husband's job is/was. He could be a pastor. In Germany, pastors live in a house/apartment whose rent is paid by the church and they have to move out when they retire.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
@MALUSE my husband manages two poultry farms. The job is 7 days a week....aa few days off a couple times a year. He is so ready to retire.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That sounds exciting. Hope you are so busy getting the house ready that you won't be lonely.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
I'm sure I'll be fine....I tend to be a bit of a loner.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Morleyhunt I really hope you love your new home.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
@RubyHawk I like it a lot....but I haven't put down real roots in a long, long time.
@pradab (503)
Congratulations
@Morleyhunt (16688)
Thank you!
@pradab (503)
@Morleyhunt you paint your own house?
@Morleyhunt (16688)
@pradab I'll be painting the window trims, the shutters and the interior walls. I've done it before and will probably do it again in the future.
This is a charming house. A move is always a lot of work, but I am sure you will like your new place.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
I'm getting excited, looking forward to the move and having it all behind us.
@Morleyhunt I can very well understand.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
@Ganma7 (2055)
Congrats so happy for you both
@Morleyhunt (16688)
Thank you. Two weeks until we take possession...then the real challenges begin.
@Ganma7 (2055)
@Morleyhunt Congrats and enjoy
That sounds like a lot of work for you, but it will be worth it in the end. Do you have family in the area you are moving to?
@Morleyhunt (16688)
I actually have a brother who lives near our new home. I haven't spoken to him in months...he isn't aware, as far as I know. The work will be worth it. The crazy week coming up in November could be interesting.....then the drive back and forth by myself is just a bit intimidating....but I'm sure it will be fine.
@Morleyhunt Good luck with all that.
@sallypup (21925)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You and I are on similar tracks. Your retirement house looks comfy. My hubby and I could stay where we are now after his retirement. It would be the cheaper option. 3 acres and yet..... no bus line, no culture for poetry readings, no university for hubby, no health food stores. We are looking at quite a distant move to get what we need and then it would mean we would be in a town again and I'm not the greatest at living so near people. The area also has trails to walk on so we will go back there next early summer and check it out again...... I wish you luck.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
We will be in a small town....hubby would never survive in the city.
@sallypup (21925)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Morleyhunt Me, either.
I am glad you got a house. Time goes by fast and soon you will both be back in the same house.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
I think we have it calculated out....we'll be living apart for about 8 weeks. That's not so bad....we'll talk everyday on the phone. We lived apart for 3 months back in 2000....mind you I wasn't living alone at a that time and we were only about 25 miles apart.
Glad that you found your retirement home. It sure would be nice to be able to retire.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
We've been working towards this for a long time. Now it's all beginning to fall into place.
Freedom awaits your husband!
@Morleyhunt (16688)
And not a moment too soon. He's counting down...just 200 more days.
It’s going to be different not running into you in town. Congrats on the purchase!
@Morleyhunt (16688)
I'm sure we'll still be here regularly. I'll be gone for a week in November, then home until February...then gone until Easter.....
@LoriAMoore (10001)
Hooray, congratulations!
@Morleyhunt (16688)
Thanks..we are pleased and happy....and maybe just a bit nervous (hubby hasn't seen the house other than in photos)
@gullver (534)
• Egypt
I wish you a happy time mother
@Morleyhunt (16688)
Thank you.
Exciting! The house looks exactly like the house if some friends. Even looks like a slope at the back like theirs.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
The kids love the shutters. The house we built almost 30 years ago had hearts on the shutters as well.
@Morleyhunt the shutters are nice. How far will you be from all your kids?
@Morleyhunt (16688)
@paigea 18 hours....that's the biggest drawback....but FaceTime, video Messenger, Skype and trips back and forth will take care of that.
@FayeHazel (11798)
How far away is your new home? Congratulations!
@Morleyhunt (16688)
1,681 km from the house we live in now to our new home.....just a bit of a drive.
@FayeHazel (11798)
@Morleyhunt Oh that's not too bad then :-)
@Morleyhunt (16688)
@FayeHazel thats about 16-17 hours of driving.
Yay!! Way to go! Vince's computer used to pop up with the number of days left before retirement. That was a few years ago. Hope it all goes swimmingly.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
200 more days...hubby can't wait. His job seems to become more stressful each day.
@Morleyhunt That's what happened with Vince too. After retiring he filled in a couple of times when his successor was on holidays or whatever but after about the third time of filling in, he didn't even want to do that any more.
Good luck to your move! Here's to a promising 2018!
@Morleyhunt (16688)
Thank you. It seems to be an exciting time to anticipate.
Congratulations! That sounds wonderful, and knowing you, by the time you make the big move, you'll already have met and made some new friends, so your hubby will just be able to Segway into his retirement with ease.
@Morleyhunt (16688)
I'm sure in my 8 weeks alone, I'll be writing on Mylot a bit more than I am now.
@Morleyhunt I hope so, but I totally understand that you need this time to get ready to leave. Once you set off to go, in essence you will probably feel like you've left for good, although you'll be back for a short period again.