A Come Back or Retro?

When I was young my mother would bring home our groceries in paper grocery bags. Ever since I've been married, and bringing home groceries, they have been in plastic bags. As we are all aware, these bags seem to take forever to breakdown. They are filling up our landfills quickly-very quickly. My husband asked me for an ice cream dessert for supper tonight. So I just returned from buying a small package of ice cream cupcakes. I was delighted when I asked for a bag (here they charge for them) and she pulled out a paper bag. Now, in comparison to the size of item that I bought, this is quite a large bag. But since electronics have taken over, there is less letter writing and note taking on paper, so there are fewer trees being lost to produce paper. And also, we have refined our recycling to the point where a lot of paper is just that, recycled. So, is the use of paper bags a come back or do you think that its just retro? Myself I think that is coming back, and I'm happy about that. I will reuse this paper bag, as often as a recycled paper bag can be reused.
@topffer (33790)
• France
There are a few paper bags back here, but the supermarkets are now selling biodegradable bags looking like the previous plastic bags. The only difference is that they were free before, and we have to pay for them now.
If we do not bring our own bags to the grocery store and want one, they do charge for them. But they are reuseable. I prefer the cloth bags because they withstand so much more weight, and they are easily washed with the laundry.
We can buy bags here too but plastic hasn't been completely done away with yet.
they still have not done this yet.We bring our own bags.Then Mike brings me.Wait.I am not a bag.What do I know
Oh Alfredo......you never cease to amaze me with your funny comments and witty humour!
Vince likes to tell people he takes his sleeping bag with him everywhere he goes. His sleeping bag is ME!
I just read yesterday in my supermarket that from November on they would only give 3 plastic bags per customer and from March on none. They are selling reusable bags and I bought one the last time I was there. I have a big one I bought in Aruba and they can be used for a long time. I remember that when I was a child, my mother had a couple of canves bags she used to take to the farmers market. I made a couple for myself after I got married but they got lost. Maybe I should make a couple of the right size now.
If we go to a store here without a bag, they will sell you one for a nickel. Its not a fortune, but you can reuse it and it deters people from throwing them mindlessly into the landfills. Buying the canvas ones is what I do because they last for years and are much more sturdy, the handles hold up better and you don't have to worry about rips from the corners of boxes or from the end of a vegetable such as a cucumber.
@bagarad (11776)
• Paso Robles, California
@Juliaacv We have to pay a dime here. I pack boxes in the car and unload the cart into the boxes when I get to the car.
@bagarad I carry a canvas bag full of more canvas bags, and I do reuse the little plastic bags that they supply (without a cost) for fruits and vegetables.
@Shortail (862)
My parents used to do that, to recycle some paper bags or plastic bags,but I said they should dispose that or sell to junk shop and earn money, instead of keeping all of them in their house. because the problem is they always forgot if where they keep all the reusable things, and instead to find it, they will buy a new one.
Before they began charging for bags I would reuse the bags as garbage pail liners, that way I still saved some plastic from going into the landfill sites.
@Shortail (862)
@Juliaacv Much better to reused the plastic rather than to throw, Good thing about the garbage collector here, they will not accept your garbage if not segregated, so we should distinguish the recyclable and not, or else, they won't collect that.
@Shortail We have regular garbage pick up and then sorted recycling-paper, plastic, tin and glass.
@kepweng (13227)
what do you Do in recycled papers?
Recycled paper products become new items, such as writing paper and things like that.
I thought DQ always had paper bags. I know I've seen them at one of the grocery stores here, and that is different, as the main choice is plastic.
I've had plastic bags from them in the past. I was surprised, in a good way, to see this yesterday.
I haven't seen any paper bags where I shop yet.
Do you shop at the Dairy Queen? That's where I got the paper bag. The only problem was that the bag was huge in comparison to what I purchased, they need to work on that.
I still try to use paper, but plastic is way more convenient.
I haven't had the choice for paper in years.
I remember the paper bags well. Haven't seen any in the grocery stores in a long time. I do know that some of the restaurants here still use paper bags for their orders.
I remember asking my mother once about transporting ice cream. And how did she manage to do that when there wasn't air conditioning in the cars back then and she had a 10 mile drive home from the grocery store. She told me that they used to have special freezer bags, and I remember them too. They were the size of a carton of ice cream and they were much thicker. I don't ever remember having soft ice cream as a result of it melting, so they must have worked.
@mandala100 (39203)
@Juliaacv Many country are turning again to use paper bags instead of plastic my friend.
I think that they are better then plastic, although I tend to use cloth tote bags the most.
Are Ollie's store has paper bags that they sell but they also have plastic bags for sale. Most of our stores now suggest that you bring your reusable bags.
@sueznewz2 (9835)
• Alicante, Spain
like you .. I think paper is better... but I had trouble looking at the bag in your photo because I couldn't drag my eyes away from those wonderful looking cupcakes... lol
Plastic bags are being fazed out here and various options are offered. I have plenty of cloth bags but haven't yet got into the habit of always putting a couple back in the car.
I ask for paper bags so I can reuse them to ship my packages with when I make a sale.
@bagarad (11776)
• Paso Robles, California
I've always preferred paper, and Trader Joe's still gives out paper bags. I save them and reuse them, which I was already doing. When they get battered too much we line one of our kitchen trash cans with them. Paper bags keep their shape better than those flimsy plastic bags. They are most useful when packing wet produce or meats that can drip juice out of their trays. Plastic bags that are reused aren't as healthy because they retain the bacteria that gets into them from what has been in them. Then that may contaminate whatever you put into the bag when you reuse it.