Trick ? Treat ? What is the Halloween feat ?

The time of year when ancient versus present and Pagan versus Christian and tradition versus lore there is at least ONE smirking scary carved pumpkin head that is guarding the steps of many abodes. As mother and I drove through Autumn the hued leaves gold, orange and reds were viewed in spurts of abundance (meaning green is still brightly seen) yesterday; while the HALLOWEEN theme of ghosts, goblins, witches, tombstones, spider webs and even headless scarecrows was evenly distributed along local county roads and side winding newer developments. It is a commercialized holiday I am sorry to say and sadly I am not sure how many people actually celebrate it for what it really is besides the candy, costumes and celebration. But I am curious how you view its place in the Intelligent Design or Gods plan or your understanding or opinion of what Halloween is according to you ?
@silvermist (20116)
Here we do not celebrate Halloween.But it is always interesting to know how it is being celebrated.
I am curious about why the celebration is not done in your part of the country @silvermist ? Is it religiously enforced or what ?
We don't have halloween to speak of traditionally but over the years we have been following the western tradition. Some subdivisions have trick or treats and the malls too. But not all the places in this country do and i never observed that as well.
I've never taken any notice of Halloween - it's not big in England. It wasn't until I got a computer 4 years ago and went online that it really impinged on my consciousness. At this time of year there are references to it everywhere, but especially from your part of the world.
Yeah the USA enjoys celebrating something interesting whenever it can but in the way religion (organized specifically) has used this celebration as a separating factor between cultural influences (like Christians versus Pagans), the purpose is lost . . . or so I think. Thanks for responding @jaboUK
@alberello75 (18651)
• Genova, Italy
It is now more than 10 years that Halloween is also celebrated in Italy. All in all, in the streets on the night of October 31st, I can see just a few masked people. Everything is done in the nightclubs, where the entrance fee is charged! However again this year, my mother and me will be going to get out house at the same, for Halloween night
@dodoazo (21267)
We never observe it here, but youngsters nowadays are having Halloween party in the eve of November 1.
I'm not in favor of the holiday. I don't participate, which living here makes that easy as it is a secure building so no trick or treaters here last year, and I suspect none this year either.
@enlightenedpsych2 I'll probably see kids in costumes walking past my window, but no, there won't be any in the complex.
@just4him well if by chance some stop by, be kind and give them something home made with love . . .
@enlightenedpsych2 The only thing I would have would be an apple. I'm not expecting any.
@peachpurple (12770)
Halloween should be a fun event for kids where getting candies for free but too bad that malaysians do not observe this event plus kids here are sweet eaters
Perhaps the Malaysian population celebrates at this time of year something different than the ancient Celtic tradition @peachpurple ?
@peachpurple (12770)
@enlightenedpsych2 maybe, this month I'd Diwali celebration
@peachpurple I had read about the Diwali ceremony and celebration that follows but forget what it is really about, can you tell me ?
@moffittjc (45207)
• Gainesville, Florida
I don't give a damn what the holiday is for, I like eating candy! lol I have always been a fan of Halloween because I like scary things, and like scaring people. Back in my days when I had more time on my hands, I used to put together a wicked haunted house every year that was the talk of the neighborhood! These days, I just throw up a bunch of decorations and then eat all the candy! lol
I would of loved to see your house, haunted and decorated, cause around here everyone is rather afraid to put up any celebratory decorations for fear of insulting someone ! thanks @moffittjc
@moffittjc (45207)
• Gainesville, Florida
@enlightenedpsych2 Seriously? Have we become so PC in our society that we cannot even decorate our houses for fear of offending someone? That is just ridiculous! It really bothers me that we can no longer do anything in this country because it offends someone somewhere. People need to lighten up, it's okay if other people express views that they don't agree with. If they don't like Halloween, then they don't have to decorate their house. If I like Halloween, I will decorate my house.
@moffittjc yeah stupid laws made by paranoid people and so darn ethnocentric and weak esteemed it is unbelievable . . . but I am serious on this one
@Daelii (5901)
I know very well the roots of the holiday traditions and it spans a number of different cultures. I don't mind spending time with my kids, crafting costumes and enjoying the trick or treat, crafts, and other games that come about for this holiday. Yes, it has roots somewhere else. I'm cool with letting my kids enjoy the current holiday and when they are older than can learn about different forms other types of celebrations had. After all, it wasn't called "Halloween" 5,000 years ago. The Festival of Samhain, was the Festival of Samhain and had its own rituals and traditions. Halloween is Halloween and has its own traditions. There is no need to mix them, but it doesn't hurt to respect the differences. That would be like going back to the birth of Christ and yelling at Mary for not putting up a Christmas tree with electric lights and decorations. . Different holidays celebrated in different times; they are not the same thing. you know?
No and yes-- individuals may have altered certain parts of the ritual but roots are roots and if Mary actually gave birth to Christ, who is now solely responsible for the canons of Christianity, she probably was not even thinking about twinkling lights or presents, just a warm place to deliver her baby . . . @Daelii
@Daelii (5901)
@enlightenedpsych2 I know. But with Halloween the different core aspects come from different cultures on different continents. So when people say "Halloween should be this and not that".. its not true. Halloween wasn't around 2,000 years ago. it was a different time with different practices, some that overlap across the globe. we see remnants of it now, but its not the true practice. Kind of like music. each generation has a new spin on it. what worked for 1 generation, might not for another. Doesn't mean we call rock music orchestra and orchestra bands a rock band. Why cant people understand the differences might be from instruments used?
@Daelii if you classify the celebration itself under a traditional mindset the differences are as unique as the people who have them; if you look statistically and historically over the last 5,000 years it was not called Halloween as you said BUT it was quite the ritual-- the core aspect being harvest and gratitude
@Shellyann36 (11273)
We are in it just for the candy and the kids. No religious reasoning behind the holiday. We dress up the house and the kids. I do it mainly for them. When I was growing up my parents were against Halloween and I never got to dress up and Trick-or-Treat. As a parent, I want my kids to enjoy the traditions that others are.
Good for you to not deny your children a time to play and get candy and making their own costumes to enjoy in the festivities ! Thank you @Shellyann36 for stopping by and do have a wonderful holiday coming up !
@Shellyann36 (11273)
@enlightenedpsych2 You are very welcome and you have a great holiday as well.
• Hungary
Unfortunately we don't celebrate it, even though I really wanna leave it through. But we do have Farsang which is kinda similar. The kids dress up, we have a big event have fun. (The candies are not there though)
What is the purpose of the Farsang ceremony as I have never heard of this even from daddy who was Hungarian @rosieros02 ?
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
Never been a Halloween person @enlightenedpsych2 but everybody is welcome to drop candy off at MY door. Especially chocolate.
I will be sure and allow the cosmic faeries who with the goddesses of temptation assistance will have the finest dark anti oxidant chocolate arrive at your door step . . .
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
@enlightenedpsych2 Healthy and yummy at the same time. Ya can't beat that.
@ilocosboy (37103)
I just don't know why its Halloween party when it should be All Saints Day and all soul's day.
@kepweng (18537)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
nice hope you gave chocolate and candies too kids cause halloween is for kids?
The actual night of any 'candy-giving' falls on the 31st of October @kepweng and it really should NOT be about candy but more about being grateful for any food of the earth that the harvest would bring . . .