Adult Animals Have A Lot Of Love To Give Too

Adopting an older dog or cat is a wonderful idea. They have a lot of love to give. Almost all the time, they are already trained too. Sometimes, it’s hard for older dogs or cats to find homes but I think that’s slowly changing. I’ve gotten wonderful older dogs from the shelter in the town over from where we are.
I think that to take an older pet you have to be very open to the fact that they will come with baggage from issues they were subjected to by previous owners. And as a responsible adopter you have to be stable, loving and patient, and most of all dedicated to what you may or may not be able to do with the pet. We had a neighbour who used to come and go all of the time, but in the summer months when he would leave with the windows open, if the phone rang, the rescue dog would bark non-stop until the owner returned. We timed it as over an hour once. And we were worried that something had happened to him in the home. he also left once and his home alarm went off-I cannot begin to tell you how that affected that poor dog.
@Juliaacv Some have not been treated well by previous families. My other dog did set our alarm off and they had to come and adjust it so it wouldn't happen again.
@Susan2015 No, our neighbour's alarm system never worked correctly, I think that it is because he installed it and didn't do it correctly. But when you take in a rescue animal you should make things right in the house for them.
@Morleyhunt (20437)
Some people have awesome dogs from shelters....our families experience has been less than stellar. Our first dog came from a shelter. She was good with the kids....but constantly did her business in the house....after several months, we had her rehomed,..... My daughter and her husband adopted a dog that had abandonment issues. After spending thousands of dollars and countless hours trying for a remedy, even the vet assured them that euthanizing the dog was the only option left. My husband and I tried once more for a dog from the shelter...it was not a good fit. The dog knocked everyone over....tore through the trash and anything else she could find.....
Oh, that's terrible. All of our shelter dogs were absolutely wonderful. I am sorry it didn't turn out that way for you.
@Morleyhunt I've never had one like that. I know that at the shelter we get ours from, they do screenings and work with the dogs to make sure they are adoptable.
@Morleyhunt What was the problem with the dog that your children had euthanized? I'd have re homed it rather than do that. But there are some diagnosed issues that would make sense to put the dog to sleep.
I think so too. There are so many benefits to adopting an older animals. So many are waiting for forever homes.
@Corbin5 Yes they sure all. All they want is a home where they will get love and attention.
@Bluedoll (17054)
I've heard this from a talk show host on rescue. She was saying that she felt the animal actually understood someone wanted to love them and not leave them alone in a cage.
@sugartoes (42026)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I've had older pets from a shelter & your right there are some really good pets you can adopt IF you know what to look for in one cause some can be hard to retrain to your liking, some have bad habits that they don't tell you.
@sugartoes The ones we get are already trained and most all dogs have at least one bad habit, whether it's barking at anything that moves or licking the furniture.
@sugartoes (42026)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Susan2015 that's right, I DO agree.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Bless you for adopting the older pets. You are right, I think it is a shame how younger animals are adopted/purchased when they a little and then discarded at shelters as they grow and are no longer "little and cute". Those sort of people shouldn't have animals.
@Scrapper88 (1332)
I know a few people who likes to adopt the older animals
@Dena91 (4523)
That is Mike and mines plan when something happens to our girls, we want to get a older cat or one with disabilities. Not sure either of us could get through kitten hood again, though that is a fun stage.
@BigTalpha (117)
I love dogs but adopting an older dog just isn't for me. I'm not saying that I don't like older dogs because I do. I just don't want to get attached to a dog that may not be with me for very long. I need to know everything about the dog and it's life expectancy before I would adopt an older dog.
I think older pets are perfect for older people. They don't often want to train a puppy, and cannot keep up with a younger dog. I think older pets are great for a lot of people, assuming they can handle a few more medical bills than a younger dog might need.
@m_audrey6788 (13669)
Yes so true!