C U Next Tuesday

United Kingdom
It's the Marmite of swear words. I love it - the C-word, that is, not Marmite It really divides opinion. Many people see it as an insult to women, but I don't know if those people also feel that slang words for the male anatomy are insulting to men The origins of the word are apparently debatable, but interestingly this New Statesman article asserts that it is, "etymologically, more feminist than vagina, which is dependent on the penis for its definition, coming from the Latin for “sword sheath”." What do you think?
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/02/swearing-fascinating-history-our-favourite-four-letter-words%3famp
@pumpkinjam (5801)
I'm not a fan of swearing but I am a fan of etymology. My partner is, too. He has told me of instances as a child when he would use a word and, instead of (or as well as) being punished for using it, would be instructed that he must know the meaning. Well, being the person he is, that's exactly what he did. His research led to the possibility of the C-word originally meaning a box for chisels. I don't really see any swear words as particularly insulting to either gender. It's usually men that get called the C-word around here anyway.
@pumpkinjam that's great that his family used these instances as opportunities to further his personal education!
@Orson_Kart (4487)
I like using the phrase C U Next Tuesday. For a moment there I thought the C word was Cake or Christmas. As you say, it's the ultimate swear word and the last to be unbanned (is that even a word?) by the BBC. Come to think of it, isn't BBC some kind of swear word?
Yeah I'm pretty sure BBC stands for Big Bad C U Next Tuesday It's easy to get away with using the C-word on telly, you just say "couldn't" in a Hull accent - we say it without the o, l, or d
@LilyBeBack Oh! I thought it stood for Big Black C**k. I am not sure what a Hull accent sounds like. Is it a bit rough Yorkshire like "Tha knows" or posher like "ya, one knows"
@Orson_Kart LOL it doesn't sound like anything else, it's honestly indescribable because it's incomparable
@moffittjc (45376)
• Gainesville, Florida
Many women in the US consider the C-word the most disgusting curse word there is. And it's funny that you wrote about it today, as this morning I accidentally said the F-word around a female co-worker. I immediately apologized, but she told me it was okay because she's heard worse swear words than the F-word. I was like, "There's curse words that are worse than the F-word?" And she said "Yeah, the C-word!" haha
Yeah it's a word that some people are absolutely disgusted by, but for me it's just another word. Actually it's more than that, for me it's a great word
@moffittjc (45376)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LilyBeBack A great word? Now you have me intrigued! I never let words bother me. They are, after all, just words. I'm thick-skinned.
@moffittjc I just think it's the best swear word, it works when no other words will do