A deer killed by hunters with hounds in the garden of a house !

@topffer (30704)
France
Hunting with hounds is an old aristocratic traditional hunt in France, but some people seem to have not noticed that aristocratic privileges have been abolished during the night of August 4th 1789. Among these privileges, there was one called the «right to follow» authorizing hunters with hounds to follow an animal outside of the limits of forests in the fields. I have heard of a prince now dead who was leasing his lands for 1/5th of their value, to have the pleasure to follow a deer or a wild boar on them with his horses and his pack of dogs, devastating the crops like in the «good old times.» What happened last Saturday near Paris is incredible : a crew of hunters with hounds followed a deer from a forest till the streets of a village. The deer jumped in a garden where it was out of reach of the dogs. Pretexting that it was dangerous, they killed it in the garden of the house, with the authorization of the local gendarmerie. This is a true scandal. I heard one of the hunters this morning invoking this old «right to follow» and telling that they were responsible for the damages done by wild animals. They are responsible for the damages, but there is a law prohibiting to hunt near houses, and I also heard that there is in this place a municipal bylaw prohibiting hunting with hounds on all the territory, so they had nothing to do there. This brave deer had won the right to live, and the hunt should have been stopped by the responsible of the crew when the deer entered on the territory of this commune. The responsible of the crew is convoked by the «Société de Vénerie», the hunting society delivering licenses for hunters with hounds, and I suppose that the gendarmes will have also to explain why they authorized to kill this deer in a private property. I am disgusted, I hope I have no family ties with one of the dorks who participated to this hunt. The photo shows the deer in the garden. I add a link to a 15 seconds Youtube video showing a deer encircled by a pack of dogs. The music that you hear is the «hallali» ; it is played just before an animal is killed ‹usually with a hunting knife). How would you react if this deer was in your garden ? They would have to kill me first before killing it.
They should not have killed that deer near where a person lives. The deer should have been safe.
@topffer (30704)
• France
It is also my opinion. The deer was in a private property, they had no right to kill it there.
@Daljinder (19932)
Anyone try that in my garden, I will scream bloody murder. If that was banned then appropriate actions should be taken.
@topffer (30704)
• France
They also would have not killed it if it had been in my garden. Gendarmes are military policemen. As they gave their authorization to kill it, and the police is always supposed to be right until proven otherwise, they are the only ones that can be sanctioned.
@Daljinder (19932)
@topffer They should being the police be put on trial.
@topffer (30704)
• France
@Daljinder Nothing is impossible, and perhaps an association will do it, but the chances to succeed in this case are very low. My guess is that they will be moved to another place. I hope that it will be Guyana, the mosquitoes are fierce animals there.
That does not sound fair or right at all! This is a definitely a case of poor defenseless animal - not fair that he got stuck in a garden - in fact I would say it was quite cowardly of the hunters to do that (a low blow, a sucker punch). How could a gendarmes give such an approval (though I don't know know what they are allowed to do by law). This was cruel and inhumane!
@topffer (30704)
• France
It was indeed very cruel. The gendarmes should not have allowed it, but as they are policemen, what they authorize is supposed to be alright, until proven otherwise (we have to obey to a police order or we can be sued for contempt and obstruction, but we can later lodge a complaint against the police). For what I have heard, the public prosecutor has started an official investigation and can decide to sue the gendarmes, and the responsible of the crew has been suspended by the hunting society.
@topffer I would think it would be wrong for the "police" to give the ok to hunt on someone's private property. Well good . . . I hope investigations will lead to punishment for the crime committed, but for that poor deer it is too late.
@topffer (30704)
• France
@much2say It was certainly wrong, but when the police asks you to do something they are never wrong. It is never a good idea to tell to a policeman that he is wrong in France. The way to go is to ask for his number and complain later, or if there is a fine, to refuse to sign it, to show that you disagree.
Oh my. What rude hunters. I live out in the country and expect hunters to stay out of my garden!
@topffer (30704)
• France
I also expect that You will be pleased to know that the responsible of the crew has been suspended by the hunting society.
@topffer Good.
• Denmark
Do you think anyone will be prosecuted for this or will the event be 'brushed under the table' as the Germans say, i.e., quickly forgotten?
@topffer (30704)
• France
The crew will probably not lose its hunting license, they pay a lot of money to hunt in public forests (it is done with a public auction. In my area, it is between 20000 and 50000 Euros/year ; it is probably more near Paris.), but I hope that the responsible of the crew will be no more allowed to be responsible of a crew. The gendarmes are military. My bet is that they will be moved in a not so nice place. The mayor complained today, but violating a municipal bylaw costs a maximum of 36 Euros...
• Pamplona, Spain
I would have tried to protect it all I could. That is just not fair. They got the animal cornered and killed him in cold blood. I would have stood between them and the deer to protect him all I could. I know have repeated that but that is what I would do and would have done. Poor little mite.
@topffer (30704)
• France
I really do not understand why they killed it in a private property. I would also have done my best to protect it if this deer had chosen my garden to escape to the dogs : neutral zone, stay away !
• Pamplona, Spain
@topffer Such a senseless killing before no one would have given a hoot about it all almost and now they are still acting like little boys. Can´t they chase an artificial rabbit instead or something? I know that you have defended it and so would I even against the dogs.
• Pamplona, Spain
@topffer They should be sentenced for such a cruel thing. This kind of act belongs to the dark Ages. Hope they do fine them at least so as to set an example.
@louievill (16341)
That was so unfair to the deer, hope they give the appropriate punishment(s) and or fine(s) to all those who violated whatever law or laws you have there.
@topffer (30704)
• France
The mayor complained today, but a fine for a bylaw cannot be more than 36 Euros. As the gendarmes, who are military policemen in France, authorized it, they should be the only guilty ones. It is not impossible that an association starts a trial against them, but the chances to succeed are very low. My guess is that they will be moved elsewhere as a disciplinary sanction.
@topffer (30704)
• France
@louievill Maybe even more dangerous than the wild boars. Yes, it is like fox hunt, except that they hunt big animals.
@YrNemo (8678)
I am glad I were not born a deer, (just a dear to some others). It is a sad life. (Guess lots of French got angry over this?)
I can't stand it when people hunt for fun, so I find this disgusting. Sometimes, I daydream of these people being hunted, not killed or hurt, just running and scared, but then I realize that's not very nice or healthy, so I stop.
@topffer (30704)
• France
Killing this deer in a private garden was disgusting. I read that the responsible of the crew has been suspended by the hunting society. It was the least to do.
@kepweng (6407)
can deer meat can be Eaten??
@topffer (30704)
• France
Indeed, they are even breeded for meat in some farms. Wild game meat is not liked by everybody, it has a strong taste.
@bunnybon7 (33130)
• Holiday, Florida
oh my whole family would be on that. they would also get arrested here for sure. we have laws. too bad there has not been one made in your country for such a horrible thing
@topffer (30704)
• France
We also have laws against that, but the police is supposed to be always right here, and they authorized to kill this deer. The justice has started to investigate, and the responsible of the crew has been suspended by the hunting society.
@jobelbojel (5145)
I am so sorry for the deer to be killed.
@topffer (30704)
• France
It is a shame. You will be pleased to know that the responsible of the crew has been suspended by the hunting society for an unspecified time.
I'm not surprised you are disgusted. There is no honour in killing an animal that is trapped in this way. Much more honour in acknowledging its bravery.
@topffer (30704)
• France
It is the general view about this. The public prosecutor has started an investigation, and the gendarmes will perhaps be sued, and the hunting society has suspended the responsible of the crew for an unspecified time.
Shame on those people. I would of done my best to protect it.
@topffer (30704)
• France
They have been very cruel for this poor deer.
@studylove (2149)
So sad to now that the deer was killed by the hunters. How much were the hunters punished?
@topffer (30704)
• France
They will be not punished, as the gendarmes, who are military policemen, authorized it. But the responsible of the crew will probably be punished by the hunting society.
I would have got hold of my rifle (if I had one) - and as they say in my country - "run them off" my property and save the deer.
@topffer (30704)
• France
Same for me. I would have forbidden to them to enter in my property !
@DaddyEvil (22414)
I hope the law puts those men in jail for what they did, Top! That was not right, even if the law hadn't been changed! They would not have killed the deer in my yard!