Got stung by a yellow jacket today

I was just reading a post on mylot yesterday about hornets and thought they were yellow jackets. Today my son and I were outside playing with the puppy and I got stung by a yellow jacket. It didn't swell much so I figured I was fine. About 5 minutes later my heart and head started pounding and my skin and face turned really red and my face felt on fire. I started to get dizzy and so rather then risk passing out at home with my son I drove to the hospital a mile away. I waited over an hour for the doctor to come look at me. By then the redness had gone away but I still had a terrible headache. He told me to take Benedryl and sent me on my way. I came home took advil & benedryl. If I knew I wasn't going to pass out I would have done this to begin with and not have gone to the emergency room at all. At least I know for next time!
• Denmark
Good for you that you're not allergic to such stings. Let's hope there won't be a next time!
Lol well I was allergic but not life threatening. My body turned beat red, my head and chest started pounding really hard, I became a littlr dizzy and my face felt like it was on fire, I was sweating and shaky. But I didn't have trouble breathing so the doctor didn't rush to see me and as I sat for an hour waiting for him most the symptoms cleared on their own. I do wonder if I had been stung more then once what would have happened especially if I was out hiking in the woods with no cell service etc.
• Denmark
@shaggin That does sound frightening!
@MALUSE I think I will make sure to have benedryl with me in case I’m in the woods and get stung.
let's hope the next time you don't decide to drive either. That cooud have been real deadly had you passed out.
I thought about that and knew if I started having trouble breathing I would stop the car and have my son call 911 on my cell phone. I live a mile or less from the hospital so I was pretty sure I could get there in time which is why I jumped in the van and left as soon as I realized I was having an allergic reaction rather then wait around for benedryl to kick in. I didn't want to pass out at home and wait for am ambulance to arrive and have it terrify my son when I could get to the hospital quicker.
Ugggh and sounds like the doctor did not diagnose any anaphylactic reaction (allergy to the bee venom), which is good so for future stings (fgosh I am hoping you don't but just in case) this advice will cost you nothing like the ER can charge, seriously . . . A raw piece of onion immediately pulls out the stinger and the venom attached to it, so put it directly on the sting. Wait 2 minutes and then see if it is reddening or swelling and place ice for 20 minutes, then off and then ice again if redness persists. Honestly Benadryl is a chemically prepared concoction that only temporarily numbs the signal receptor that tells us something is foreign and needs removal, quick ! I sure hope this never happens again unless you have raw onions in your crisper @shaggin
I almost never have raw onion as I chop them up and freeze them. That is such amazing information though! The stinger wasn't left in me but it swelled just a tad. It was sore yesterday but it is itchy today. I think if I had raw onion to draw the venom out immediately like you said it would have saved me a worthless trip to the ER.
@BarBaraPrz (17534)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@shaggin Yellow jackets don't usually lose their stingers... they have smaller barbs than bees do.
@BarBaraPrz I know bees lose their stingers but didn’t thing wasps and things did. They can keep stinging people the rotten things. At least bees make honey.
I'm surprised they made you wait so long to be seen. You could have had anaphylactic shock.
The shock of an anaphylactic reaction is quite obvious as I had seen quite a few in my day when I worked at an Urgent care center, we took that seriously above and beyond wait times @NJChicaa so I am thinking her case was not fatal, time constrainted or urgent
I wasn't having any breathing problems so it was not considered life threatening. If I had been worse then they would have paged the doctor immediately. We have a small hospital and one doctor to take care of everyone on 2 floors. He probably was making rounds on a different ward and since it wasn't such a rush finished that all before seeing me.
@shaggin well I am happy he did see you and told you it was not life threatening which if you are NOT allergic to the venom a bee offers, then your immune system is serving you well . . . at least now when another bee might sting you, your body has resources to deal with it effectively !
@thelme55 (11806)
OMG! I am glad you are not allergic to that insect.
I was so I quick drove to the emergency room when I started having symptoms. My breathing was fine though and I got better over the hour of waiting for the doctor. I was told to put ice on it and take benedryl. Now I know next time I get stung to take benedryl and skip going to the doctor.
@thelme55 (11806)
@shaggin Now we know to take Benedryl when something like this happens. God forbid.
@thelme55 Yes and @enlightenedpsych2 showed me natural remedies I can try as well using onion and honey. Pretty amazing as no doctor at the ER would have had any knowledge of that and if they did I'm sure they wouldn't tell me or perhaps not be allowed to tell me.
@PainsOnSlate (19208)
My husband had the same thing while golfing, although he did not react to the bite, his arm was red and swollen but it was gone in a few days, the other day I have no idea what bit me but my arm looked like my husbands, I used some allergy rub and didn't think of benedryl, I think its in the medicine cabinet.
That is good neither one of you have a more severe reaction. Your symptoms are usually how I get with bees. Never a big deal when I got stung but this time was different. At least I didn't get so bad that I had trouble breathing that would have been much scarier.
@shaggin I out grew all my childhood allergies, thankfully (Just in the last 5 years)...I've been allergic enough to not be able to breathe reminded me of a scary event, I will write about it soon...
@PainsOnSlate The allergies I had as a child I outgrew but now in my 30s I have developed two new ones. I am not happy about it at all.
@Shellyann36 (8619)
So glad it was not worse. My cousin goes into anaphylactic shock if she gets stung by any form of bee, wasp, hornet or yellow jacket. She has to carry an epi pen with her.
That is scary imagine if she ran to the store quick and forgot her epi pen and got stung while out. I am glad I did not have that strong of a reaction.
@shaggin Yes, very scary, she always kept it with her after that.
Wow! You were wise to get yourself to the ER! Only you know how you felt, and you definitely knew something was not right. I was stung on the back of my calf once while walking my dog who had a severe heart problem. I wanted to run home screaming, but he had to sit to catch his breath every few few. Oh, the pain! So glad you are ok. Benadryl has helped me with allergic reactions to CIPRO.
My daugher is allergic to Cipro aa well as Keflex anf 2 other meds. It's hard when she needs medicine for the doctors to prescribe her anything. I'm allergic to quite a bit and can only take Keflex which is weak or Cipro which is strong. Both my daughter and I had severe reactions to two medications so we have to be very careful. Doctors ask what happens when I took amoxicillian as if I was making it up. It almost killed me when I was 7 I am not taking chances trying it again.
@shaggin Those meds are awful if one is allergic and build up with worse reactions. Be very careful!!!
I know that those horrible bugs are dangerous, I am allergic, I would have been in trouble if I got stung.
Do you have an an epi-pen in case you do get stung? A son of a friend of mine is severly allergic to peanuts they have an epi-pen jr for him.
@shaggin Yes, I have an epi-pen, I am also severely allergic to peanuts.
Wow. So sorry.
Better to have found out this way then alone in th woods in the middle of nowhere with no cell service like I usually am :)
@shaggin very true!
• Peoria, Arizona
That is awful, but at least you know what can help! Hopefully there is no next time. When I see a yellow jacket, I am out, I take whoever I am with inside and don't look back haha
They are all over on our property but they don't bother us if we don't step on them etc but this one was nasty for no reason. It was on my sons shoe and I told him to just kick his shoe to shoo it away but he said he didn't care if it was on him. I looked down under the tire to see if it had a nest and then it stung me so I said to quick get inside with the puppy. I thought I was fine since it wasn't swelling then 5 minutes later the symptoms started.
• Peoria, Arizona
@shaggin You all are very brave haha
Better to be safe than sorry - but you'll know next time.
Yes that was exactly how I felt. I was worried if untreated I would pass out at home with my son. Now I know it won't get to bad and if I get stung in the future I will immediately take benedryl. I feel silly about going to the ER but I never go to the doctor unless I feel I might die if I don't. I've never had a reaction like this before so it scared me.
That's sounds really scary. I hope the venom or poison or whatever doesn't build up from one bite to the next.
Well now that I know I am allergic to them I will make sure I always have benedryl nearby. As long as I only get stung by one I think I will be okay. It was so scary since I had never had a reaction like this before. Seeing that it improved on its own over the hour I waited for the doctor sounds like a good thing to me. I won't need to go to the ER next time.
@peachpurple (11034)
Wow I thought it was a serious problem too. Luckily you are safe
I was very worried with the symptoms that came on that I was going to get really bad which was why I rushed to the ER but thankfully it never got any worse... I never had trouble breathing. Now I know in the future to just take Benedryl if I ever get stung by one again.
Yes, now you know what to do and avoid a trip to the ER. Those stings really do hurt and can cause some folks a lot of trouble.
The sting wasn't so bad and it barely swelled at all but when my body turned red like a tomato and my face felt like it was on fire and my head and chest started pounding I knew I was having an allergic reaction. They are all over our apples that fall on the ground in the back yard and they never bother me. I must have distubed this mean ones nest :/