Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 6 Jeremiah 6 6:1 O ye children of Benjamin, gather yourselves to flee out of the midst of Jerusalem, and blow the trumpet in Tekoa, and set up a sign of fire in Bethhaccerem: for evil appears out of the north, and great destruction. 2 I have likened the daughter of Zion to a comely and delicate woman. 3 The shepherds with their flocks shall come unto her; they shall pitch their tents against her round about; they shall feed everyone in his place. 4 Prepare ye war against her; arise, and let us go up at noon. Woe unto us! For the day goes away, for the shadows of the evening are stretched out. 5 Arise, and let us go by night, and let us destroy her palaces. 6 For thus hath the LORD of hosts said, Hew ye down trees, and cast a mount against Jerusalem: this is the city to be visited; she is wholly oppression in the midst of her. 7 As a fountain casts out her waters, so she casts out her wickedness: violence and spoil is heard in her; before me continually is grief and wounds. 8 Be thou instructed, O Jerusalem, lest my soul depart from thee; lest I make thee desolate, a land not inhabited. 9 Thus says the LORD of hosts, They shall thoroughly glean the remnant of Israel as a vine: turn back thine hand as a grape gatherer into the baskets. 10 To whom shall I speak, and give warning, that they may hear? Behold, their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot hearken: behold, the word of the LORD is unto them a reproach; they have no delight in it. 11 Therefore I am full of the fury of the LORD; I am weary with holding in: I will pour it out upon the children abroad, and upon the assembly of young men together: for even the husband with the wife shall be taken, the aged with him that is full of days. 12 And their houses shall be turned unto others, with their fields and wives together: for I will stretch out my hand upon the inhabitants of the land, says the LORD. 13 For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one deals falsely. 14 They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace. 15 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? Nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall: at the time that I visit them they shall be cast down, says the LORD. 16 Thus says the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein. 17 Also I set watchmen over you, saying, Hearken to the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hearken. 18 Therefore hear, ye nations, and know, O congregation, what is among them. 19 Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it. 20 To what purpose comes there to me incense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country? Your burnt offerings are not acceptable, nor your sacrifices sweet unto me. 21 Therefore thus says the LORD, Behold, I will lay stumbling blocks before this people, and the fathers and the sons together shall fall upon them; the neighbor and his friend shall perish. 22 Thus says the LORD, Behold, a people comes from the north country, and a great nation shall be raised from the sides of the earth. 23 They shall lay hold on bow and spear; they are cruel, and have no mercy; their voice roars like the sea; and they ride upon horses, set in array as men for war against thee, O daughter of Zion. 24 We have heard the fame thereof: our hands wax feeble: anguish hath taken hold of us, and pain, as of a woman in travail. 25 Go not forth into the field, nor walk by the way; for the sword of the enemy and fear is on every side. 26 O daughter of my people, gird thee with sackcloth, and wallow thyself in ashes: make thee mourning, as for an only son, most bitter lamentation: for the spoiler shall suddenly come upon us. 27 I have set thee for a tower and a fortress among my people, that thou may know and try their way. 28 They are all grievous revolters, walking with slanders: they are brass and iron; they are all corrupters. 29 The bellows are burned, the lead is consumed of the fire; the founder melts in vain: for the wicked are not plucked away. 30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the LORD hath rejected them. Have you determined a course of action for your life, your children, your family? Have you set down the rules, set the boundaries, and laid out the consequences if those rules and boundaries are broken? God laid down the rules – the Law of Moses. He told his people the consequences for disobedience to those rules – exile, sword, famine. He sent prophets to let his people know their time was growing short when he would fulfill the consequences of their disobedience, and yet his people would not listen or obey, they kept doing what they wanted without fear of the consequences their actions determined. As Christians, many feel they are no longer subject to the Law of Moses, believing it has been fulfilled when Jesus was born and died for their salvation. Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (KJV) The whole law has not yet been fulfilled. You are still subject to the Ten Commandments. The law still shows you your sin against God. The apostle Paul argued a great deal regarding the Law of Moses. Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. 8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. 12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. (KJV) Therefore, the Law of Moses is as important to Christians today, as it was when God gave it to Moses on Mount Sinai. The law shows us our sin. God tried to show Judah her sin and have her turn back to him, but they determined to do things their own way, rejecting God by doing so, leaving God no alternative but to send them into exile. As Christians, you need to determine to follow Jesus Christ, and his example to you. Read God’s Word – Jesus was often seen in the synagogue reading from the law and the prophets. Pray – Jesus often got away alone to pray for the people. Intercede – Jesus intercedes for us before the Father. When you determine to lay your sin aside, and follow Jesus’ example for your life, you will find the grace of God, his forgiveness, and his mercy. Then the consequences God determined for you will be set aside because you have come back to him with the full assurance of forgiveness and cleansing from your sin. Let’s pray: Father, help me determine to follow Jesus’ example for my life – read your Word, pray, and intercede for those who need to know you. Help me follow the example of Jesus, your Son, and lay aside everything that hinders me from knowing you more fully. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 25 October 2017 by Valerie Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
@ebanreb (6447)
Amen. thank you for giving food for our soul. May the good Lord continue to bless you so that you could still spread the Good News.
Thank you. I hope your day is blessed.
@ebanreb (6447)
@just4him With the help of the Lord my day will be great sir
@ebanreb That's wonderful.
@carebear29 (28586)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
amen!
Have a blessed day.
@carebear29 (28586)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
@just4him thanks you too
@prashu228 (25811)
Amen.
I hope your day is blessed.
• Nepal
Amen. however i am Hindu i read bible
Thank you for reading and commenting.
@abissue (43)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
I will start this study :D
I hope it blesses you.