My Close Call

@UncleJoe (9469)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
October 25, 2017 4:32pm CST
Had a little excitement about an hour ago. I have finally gotten my breath back and my heart started again. While out in the country to pick peanuts, I was happy to learn that I could buy fresh Collard greens as well. As soon as I got home I put on a big pot of peanuts to boil and then washed and cut the collards. Bringing both pots to a boil I slightly reduced the heat and came up to check MyLot. It wasn’t long before something began to smell, like wires or something burning. When I went downstairs and into the kitchen, flames were shooting up around the collard pot. That black pot in the front is suppose to be shiny stainless steel. The white stuff on the burner ain’t snow. Salt was the only thing handy to smother the flames. Evidently, grease from browning hamburger had spilled down onto the grease tray under the burners. When cleaning the stove I sometimes forget about that part. Bet I won’t again. Windows are open all over the house right now. I’m hoping the burnt wire smell will be gone before Becky comes home tonight. Of course I have to tell her. I just can’t let her know how bad it really was. Hope we don’t have to buy a new stove.
15 people like this
16 responses
@DianneN (74287)
• United States
26 Oct
Yikes!!! See what happens when myLotting and not keeping your eye on the pot? I suppose you could have damaged your eye badly if you had kept it on the pot, so myLot is definitely better.
4 people like this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
26 Oct
I wasn't Mylotting @DianneN I was at the sink when something inside the stove went "Whoompf!" which caused something inside me to go "Whoompf!" too.
5 people like this
@DianneN (74287)
• United States
26 Oct
@UncleJoe In that case, I hope you didn't ruin the burner on the stove. I'm sure you were very shocked and aggravated. At least you didn't set the house on fire!
4 people like this
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
27 Oct
@UncleJoe Better Whoompf! than Kaboom!
2 people like this
@Kandae11 (35094)
26 Oct
Becky will understand -- when you explain that you were mylotting.
4 people like this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
27 Oct
Everybody keeps saying that @Kandae11 but I swear I was at the sink when it burst into flames. I'm glad I was. Had I been Mylotting, I wouldn't be here now.
1 person likes this
@Kandae11 (35094)
27 Oct
@UncleJoe In your post you said you were mylotting when you smelt something like wires burning then you went to investigate and saw flames shooting up around the collard pot.
2 people like this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
27 Oct
@Kandae11 Yes, I came for a quick glance. That's when I SMELLED wires burning but it hadn't flamed up yet. I was at the sink when it actually burst into flames. I just didn't detail what happened enough. Needless to say, I got a little rattled.
1 person likes this
@LeaPea2417 (19108)
• Toccoa, Georgia
25 Oct
I am sorry that happened. Just two nights ago, we set a pot holder down on a burner we had just turned off. It caught fire. My husband put it out with water. The pot holder had to be throw away. I am glad you got it all under control and everything is ok.
3 people like this
@tsatske (92)
• Williamsburg, Virginia
25 Oct
Did it ruin your food?
2 people like this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
25 Oct
No. @tsaske After I got the fire out I just switched the Collard pot to another burner.
1 person likes this
• Williamsburg, Virginia
25 Oct
@UncleJoe Oh, good. Hope Becky doesn't make you scrub that pot too hard trying to save it.
2 people like this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
26 Oct
@tsatske It's all MY cookware. She could care less.
1 person likes this
@snowy22315 (43953)
• United States
25 Oct
Yipes! I had an experience something like that with bacon once..the annoying part was the smoke detectors wouldn't shut up for a half an hour and they were all going off at once!
2 people like this
• Williamsburg, Virginia
25 Oct
The last time I lived alone before moving in with family, I lived in a VERY small apartment with the most ridiculously sensitive smoke detectors. If anyone's went off, the whole building had to vacate and wait for the fire trucks to come and reset the alarms! I hated that so bad! They were forever going off at 3 am because someone would smoke under them or something. I set them off once burning toast. I was SO mad!
4 people like this
@snowy22315 (43953)
• United States
26 Oct
@tsatske Oh that must have been maddening!
• Williamsburg, Virginia
26 Oct
@snowy22315 Drove me nuts. I actually yelled at the poor fireman the time I set it off when I burnt toast. I said, 'People make toast, you know!' as if it were his fault. Poor guy, he had nothing to do with it, he was just there to make it stop going off. I kind of think the town used us as fireman drills. Every time, 2 - 3 trucks full of guys in full gear would show up. I guess we helped them keep in practice and keep their times good.
2 people like this
@kobesbuddy (40746)
• East Tawas, Michigan
25 Oct
Oh my gosh Joe, thank God you didn't set the house on fire or get burnt! Jay did that with a pot of beans one day, left and when he came back, the beans were like little black marbles. The smell was awful! I set a towel on fire one time, last winter.
2 people like this
• Williamsburg, Virginia
26 Oct
My first year of marriage (34 years ago or so) I set the house on fire trying to deep fry salmon croquet. My DH (dear hubby) told me I was not allowed to deep fry without a fry baby after that, but I never got one, deep frying just made me nervous after that. Although it did lead to one of the most ridiculous conversations I have ever had. We went to a homeless shelter and spent the next 3 days trying to call the insurance company. They finally called us back the following Friday evening, calling the homeless shelter's number that we had left for them (in those days before cell phones). They said, 'We only send a rep out on a weekend if the property is unlivable.' I said, 'No, the house is fine. See, we were going to go to Disney, but then we thought, hey, wouldn't a homeless shelter be so much more educational for the kids?' This is number 2 on my list of stupidest things people have ever said to me.
2 people like this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
26 Oct
1 person likes this
@nanette64 (17114)
• Fairfield, Texas
26 Oct
Yeah, that could have turned out really bad @UncleJoe . Did you have any hot dogs that you could have cooked over the fire?
1 person likes this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
26 Oct
Everything was cooking @nanette64
1 person likes this
@nanette64 (17114)
• Fairfield, Texas
26 Oct
@UncleJoe Hopefully Becky won't cook you.
1 person likes this
@jstory07 (65287)
• Roseburg, Oregon
27 Oct
That just shows you that your better half. Your wife is the best cook. Now she will know she is. I am glad that you did get the fire under control and all is good.
1 person likes this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
27 Oct
Then how come I have to do ALL the cooking @jstory07 ?
@cindiowens (3843)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
26 Oct
Oh my goodness! Glad you are okay! Were you able to save the peanuts and collards?? The other day I turned on the eye and melted a bread bag to it. That was a mess.
1 person likes this
@UncleJoe (9469)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
26 Oct
Yes, @cindiowens I saved all the food. I can imagine what a mess your bread bag made. However, melting plastic seems to enhance the food I cook.
1 person likes this
@Susan2015 (20161)
• United States
28 Oct
I'm glad that you were able to get it put out.
1 person likes this
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
27 Oct
Wow, you almost had a bad fire. Lucky you found it when you did.
1 person likes this
@Shellyann36 (8918)
• United States
27 Oct
I am glad you realized what was going on. I don't think you will have to replace the stove.
1 person likes this
• Eugene, Oregon
27 Oct
Oh boy, close call! Glad you caught it in time!
1 person likes this
@Srbageldog (8210)
• United States
26 Oct
I'm glad you caught it before the fire spread! I am also guilty of catching my stove on fire once....or twice...maybe three times.
1 person likes this
@Ithink (10726)
• United States
26 Oct
Ohh my I'm so glad you are alright! Glad you got it put out too, fires are not fun at all.
1 person likes this
@Platespinner (16533)
• Winston Salem, North Carolina
26 Oct
Glad it wasn't worse! I've had a stove short out and catch on fire before ( due to overzealous cleaning efforts). Not fun.
1 person likes this